What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangaroo jersey looms for Nathan Merritt

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r-nathan-merritt/story-e6frexnr-1226114838316

Streaking away: Nathan Merritt. Source: Getty Images

EIGHT tries in six days - this is the simple statistic Nathan Merritt has produced to not only keep South Sydney in the NRL finals' race, but put him in line for his first-ever Four Nations call-up.

That was the view of South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson, who said it would be an injustice if Nathan Merritt was denied a Kangaroos jumper at season's end.

Merritt backed up his five tries last Monday with another hat-trick in the nation's capital yesterday to move to 21 touchdowns for the season and all but wrap up the leading try-scorer gong. But Richardson went one further by calling for his consistent fullback to finally receive higher honours, especially on the back of his red-hot form for the rejuvenated Rabbitohs.

"He was the leading tryscorer in an NRL team that finished with the wooden spoon [in 2006] and he couldn't make State of Origin, and he couldn't win winger of the year," Richardson said.

"I don't get it. His form has been outstanding, he can play fullback or wing, his attitude is great ... what does he have to do?

"He's scored how many tries? I've actually lost count. Everyone is going on about Brisbane's (Jharal) Yow Yeh, who is a good player, but Yow Yeh hasn't played as long as Merritt has, he certainly hasn't scored as many tries, and he certainly hasn't been in sides that have been losing - Nathan Merritt certainly deserves his opportunity."

Merritt, 28, roared to life in the second half with tries in the 50th and 54th minutes. He could have had a third minutes later when he made a break and passed for Chris Sandow, who was crunched by opposing fullback Josh Dugan.

But Merritt made sure he completed the hat-trick in the 72nd minute when he latched on to a beautifully-timed chip from John Sutton.

To cap his memorable afternoon, he put through a grubber and regathered for himself before he threw the final pass for Chris McQueen for the last try.

Nursing a fat lip, Merritt could not recall a better six days in his underrated league career. According to Fox Sports Stats, only former Canberra flyer Brett Mullins was able to rack up eight tries in successive games, way back in rounds 17 and 18 in 1994, when Merritt was just 11 years old. "It's great we're winning, I'm scoring a few tries so I'm enjoying the moment," Merritt said.

"I'm not finding the line easy, I'm just trying to put myself in the right position at the right time. It's a matter of me popping up whenever I'm needed."

Merritt said the shift to fullback - at the expense of retiring No.1 Rhys Wesser - had given him plenty of room to roam.

He has thrived in attack but been just as impressive in defence, preventing a certain Josh McCrone four-pointer.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Lol, who's next, Johnny Sutton? Only a month ago Manu exposed Merritt as the imposter he is. Colin Best has scored a lot of tries, do we give him a jersey too? :lol::lol:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Merritt deserves to play at least 1 game for Australia and NSW, but I can't see it happening. The selectors are biased.

Ttime

Juniors
you always get at least one troll after a game... expect him to be here for another few days/weeks yet.

The downfall of this otherwise pretty good forum.

Lol, who's next, Johnny Sutton? Only a month ago Manu exposed Merritt as the imposter he is. Colin Best has scored a lot of tries, do we give him a jersey too? :lol::lol:

Who exposed Merritt? Certainly was not any of the "top" 17 players from Canberra:lol::lol::lol:

BranVan3000

Coach
Merritt has handily beaten Manu plenty of times over the past couple years. In fact I'd say that was the first time Manu really won the competition between the two

Koopa111

Juniors
Would love to see him get a run, If Dave williams can get an Origin and test to his name surely Merrit should. But cant see it happening due to poor selectors.

BranVan3000

Coach
As much as I hate to say it, Merritt's real problem is that he hasn't been a part of a winning side. His profile would be much bigger if he'd reached a grand final and been the leading try score

If Souths got that far this year, or even deep into the finals, he'd be in contention for a jersey IMO

Red Bear

Referee
The only way Merrit will get a Kangaroos jersey is by visiting Rebel Sport.
Funny thing is there might be players ahead of Merritt (probably Uate and Boyd, they seem to rate Yow Yeh highly as well) but Brett fn Morriss will probably end up with a jersey again, even though he's been fairly shite all season.

Rabbit Ron

Juniors
Max is the only player to ever top the leading tryscorers whilst playing in a side that ended up with the wooden spoon and if memory serves only won three games the whole season.

He has scored well over 100 tries in his career, has strong defence and a good passing game plus is a fine role model.

So who is the NSW and Australian winger - butter fingers Morris who plays at club level outside of a total representative backline.

Good luck Max, but don't get your hopes up, as stupidity rules in the rugby league world.

Max is the only player to ever top the leading tryscorers whilst playing in a side that ended up with the wooden spoon and if memory serves only won three games the whole season.

He has scored well over 100 tries in his career, has strong defence and a good passing game plus is a fine role model.

So who is the NSW and Australian winger - butter fingers Morris who plays at club level outside of a total representative backline.

Good luck Max, but don't get your hopes up, as stupidity rules in the rugby league world.

Aand when Max got those tries in the wooden spoon team of 2006,he got them without any playmakers.

Rabbit Ron

Juniors
Aand when Max got those tries in the wooden spoon team of 2006,he got them without any playmakers.

Most senior citizens would have racked up plenty of tries playing winger in the dictators side over the past few years but the selectors can't seem to figure that out.

Even David Morrow who is a dictator fan can see the poor handling skills of Morris.

Had Max played outside of the dictator backline he might have scored fifty tries per season.

Nah! The stench would have put him off.