What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kasey Bagder :: First Female Toyota Cup Referee

age.s

First Grade
As long as no one pulls the sexist card if she gets bagged for being rubbish.

IanG

Coach
You could say similar things about Matt Cechhin as well. But that's another story

Last edited:

nqcowboy87

Bench
25, gavin badger looks like hes at least 40 and shes not that bad looking, what does she see in that guy

TimmyB

Juniors
Fantastic news, I hope she is good enough to progress to First Grade and does so.

At present, the only place visible to young girls to aspire to is to become a cheergirl. I don't think it sends a very positive message - the boys play, the girls cheer them on. Having the odd female referee in the game would do something to redress that.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...toyota-cup-debut/story-e6frf3ou-1226344566009

Aspiring first-grade referee Kasey Badger thanks players for 'phenomenal' reception in Toyota Cup debut

By staff writers
FOX SPORTS
May 02, 2012 11:16AM

A taste of Toyota Cup action has fuelled Kasey Badger's determination to become the first woman to referee an NRL first-grade match.

Badger, 25, says she was pleasantly surprised by the response from players in her Toyota Cup debut at Brookvale on April 14.

In an exclusive post-match interview with Fox Sports, the wife of current first-grade whistleblower Gavin Badger said emerging stars from Manly and Gold Coast Titans gave her a warm reception.

"They were phenomenal," she said.

"They were all very respectful and polite, coming up before the game to shake my hand and say congratulations.

"If I could get players like that every week it'd be awesome."

Of course, both Kasey and Gavin know how quickly the players and fans can turn on the refs. But Gavin, who watched Kasey's debut from the stands, believes his better half is well equipped to cope with the scrutiny.

"There was a few (comments from fans) around us. I've got to bite my tongue a bit, sit there and ignore it, but generally it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be," he said.

"If she doesn't do well, there's plenty of people waiting to knock her down and say, 'you shouldn't have been out there in the first place', so there is that pressure on her, but we never had any doubt.

"We knew she'd be able to handle it."

Kasey, who began refereeing in the Parramatta junior competition in 2004, described the Sea Eagles-Titans match as "a great experience" as she continues a rapid rise through the ranks.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I remember when I was refereeing a semi final game and she turned up in a sling. She missed the entire final series because when she woke up she moved her arm wrong. The credit to her was she came back the next year and made a rapid advance.