What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Katich

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
From a relatively unbiased Kiwi perspective, Katich is easily the worst batsman I've seen in the Australian test team in your era of dominance. He has Darren Lehmann's ugly technique, only worse and without nearly as much talent.

S2H

Juniors
People have forgotten his efforts in India quickly. And his effort in the first test for that matter.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
i havent forgotten katichs effort in india ... however i want him out of the side for now
england is different to india
and hell if we were to go back to india straight after this series id recall him ASAP
however where in england now playing vs the best pace attack in the world and they have discovered a plan which katich has no answer too, simple.

id drop katich. and its not just the fact hes failed. its the way hes batted. hes looked VERY ordinary out there and you feel he could of been out a few times before he actually did get out. englands plan of around the wicket with swing both ways.... he just cant pick it

Timbo

Staff member
Thierry Henry, for such a bad batsman with poor technique, he put the sword to your mob on the last tour of NZ.

aussies1st

Staff member
I would have thought Katich wouldn't be too bad in England given he plays county cricket there and has done so for years.

fish eel

Immortal
aussies1st said:
Andrew Symonds has scored runs in first class. His highest score is 254. That must show that he has the patients to make it in test cricket.

we're talking about somebody who averges in the early 40s...competiting with people who consistent;y average inxs of 50.

aussies1st

Staff member
If you are comparing averages then those guys in the 50s would get in. But if you are talking about the talent to take the match a way from a team then you can't beat Symonds. Look at Gilly's ODI average it is at 33 or something compared to others who have 40. Gilly takes games a way from people but in doing so gets out for a 50 whereas others would get 100 or not even get out aka McGrath thus their averages will be higher.

fish eel

Immortal
yeah sure, but we're not talking one day games, we're talking 5 dayers.

so Symonds might fire once every 7 or 8 games - but what about the rest?

aussies1st

Staff member
How many times has Gilly fired this series? How many times has Martyn fired this series? What difference would it make to put Symonds in? At least when he performs he can turn a match like Kevin Pietersen. Also how many times has KP fired this series? I consider Symonds similar to KP and who is to say he can't have a similar success rate.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Timbo said:
Thierry Henry, for such a bad batsman with poor technique, he put the sword to your mob on the last tour of NZ.

Your point?

If you think I'm going to rate a batsman based on a few good performances against such an ordinary attack, you must think I'm a lot more biased then I am.

I've watched Katich bat a lot now (when he's got runs, and when he hasn't), and it's quite evident to me that he is ordinary compared to the other Aussie batsmen.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Katich does not have a good technique, but he knows his strengths and weeknesses

His strenght is his ability to concentrate for long periods of time, similar to Steve Waugh

aussies1st

Staff member
Technique is part of it but look at guys like Lara and Gilly their technique aren't what you would teach in school. Its all about how good they make use of their technique.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
once again i reiterate
u all say that this batsman hsa failed so why should katich be dropped
the difference is between the likes of martyn, is martyn is batting ok but getting out while katich has just been completely found out and looks troubled while hes out there, and when hes in u just no that his wicket is coming. and not only is it 4 failures in a row, its 4 terrible failures, not like 20s n 30s

aussies1st

Staff member
Here is what some of the ex aussie players think should happen with the batting side. They seem to want Hodge no mention of Hussey, Symonds or Jaques
From foxsports

JONES: Yes. Katich is out of form and his form is being shown up by the fact that Adam Gilchrist can't score a run either. It might be time to give Hodge a run. He is a right-hander which would help him against the reverse swing even though it does not reverse swing as much at Trent Bridge. He also bowls finger spin and would give them some needed energy in the field.
LEHMANN: No. There is obviously some pressure on various spots but they have all been great players over many years. In a pressure situation, you have to hope that experience comes through. They haven't batted that well so far and they're still making scores of 300-plus. If they fire, it's going to be 600.

PRINGLE: No. It's not as if they have been bowled junk, England have been bowling really well. They just need some time in the middle. Trent Bridge is a batsman's paradise generally so they could find form there.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
fancy Jones wanting a NSW player to be replaced by a Victorian

who'd have thought

knights04

Bench
Even when Martyn hadn't scored a 100 for 2 years he was still averaging 40. Although Katich has only averaged 26 since his last ton few months back I don't see how he's standing out compared to others. All batsman bar Gilly have scored a 50 in this series. The selectors should be working on the getting rid of Dizzy. If anyone deserves the flick it's Hayden if you look at his recent form. No 100's in his last 15 tests averaging 31.

Latest posts