What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Katie's first interview

Miller Lite

Juniors
Katie Milligan first interview on Greg Bird, glassing incident

Article from:
Exclusive by Larissa Cummings
September 19, 2008 04:00pm

KATIE Milligan, the girlfriend of NRL star Greg Bird, has opened up about their relationship and the alleged glassing attack that left her with prominent scarring to one eye.
In her first in-depth interview since the incident on August 24, Ms Milligan has told The Daily Telegraph that people "may never know" exactly what happened and they will have to accept her decision to stand by the Sharks five eighth.

"I can say with complete certainty that I consider myself an intelligent person. I wouldn't stand by and support somebody who would ever have intentionally hurt me or in the future have the potential to hurt me," she said.
"And if that's not enough for people, I know that's enough for me in my heart."
In the extensive interview, to be published in tomorrow's Daily Telegraph, Ms Milligan reveals more details about what happened on the night Bird allegedly glassed her.
Bird, 24, is charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm on Milligan, also 24, during an argument in his beachfront Cronulla apartment.
He has pleaded not guilty but an apprehended violence order was put in place by police for Ms Milligan's protection, ordering him not to approach or contact her.
For legal reasons, Ms Milligan cannot talk about the incident, but she has revealed that contrary to reports, neither she nor Bird were intoxicated.
"People think it was the result of an all-night bender but that's not what happened at all," she said.
In her revealing interview, Ms Milligan also explains how she came to the decision to leave her family behind in New York to study law in Sydney and pursue her romance with Bird.
"We had an instant connection," she said.
"When Greg initially mentioned the possibility of me moving I thought I couldn't because I had planned to move to California to go to law school.
"But when I went home (after visiting him in Sydney) I just felt like I wasn't the same.
"I'm still not the same when I'm not with him. It seriously was like a part of me was missing and I've never felt that way before about anybody before."

Ms Milligan said the AVO conditions have been especially tough, given that she moved to Australia to be with Bird.
"It's hard because...I took a huge leap of faith coming over here and the decision to do that was hard enough on its own. To now have people questioning my reasons for staying here, that's definitely been a challenge," she said.
"I just have to do what I think is right and that's standing by Greg because he's already been tried in the court of public opinion and I don't think that's fair."

Mods: Feel free to move if necessary.

Last edited:

Generalzod

Immortal
"I just have to do what I think is right and that's standing by Greg because he's already been tried in the court of public opinion and I don't think that's fair."

Stand by your man...

cheese

Bench
None of this sounds good imo.

I'm trying to give Bird the benefit of the doubt, but the wording of everything that's come out of her mouth to this date reeks of battered millers syndrome.

Squae

Juniors
Why not reveal what happened?, it makes no sense what so ever, OF COURSE, unless he did do it?, in which case you would think she would lie anyway?

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Why not reveal what happened?, it makes no sense what so ever, OF COURSE, unless he did do it?, in which case you would think she would lie anyway?

Because contempt of court charges could be laid for one thing.

Another could be that a very carefully orchestrated "recovery plan" might be in process.

This bit is interesting

"I can say with complete certainty that I consider myself an intelligent person. I wouldn't stand by and support somebody who would ever have intentionally hurt me or in the future have the potential to hurt me," she said.

Why use the word intentionally? "Accident" defence brewing?

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Meanwhile mystery surrounds the contribution of the now famous Mr Watson. What did he tell the police? Did he supply a statement? Is there a case for attempting to pervert the course of justice? Will this actually be Birds biggest hurdle?

Stuff

Juniors
"I can say with complete certainty that I consider myself an intelligent person.

I'm glad she's sure that she thinks she's intelligent. Imagine if she only thought that she thought she was intelligent.

Surely

Post Whore
Meanwhile mystery surrounds the contribution of the now famous Mr Watson. What did he tell the police? Did he supply a statement? Is there a case for attempting to pervert the course of justice? Will this actually be Birds biggest hurdle?

I thought this had been cleared up in one of the many other bird threads, but in case you didn't see it.

Bird is the accused the accused can lie his ass off to the ploice if he wants, end of story.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
I thought this had been cleared up in one of the many other bird threads, but in case you didn't see it.

Bird is the accused the accused can lie his ass off to the ploice if he wants, end of story.

So can the "victim" and so could anyone else implicated.

Lying is not only the domain of the accused.

Since 73

First Grade
Trying to apply some logic here.

Bird might be a serial boofhead at times, but I don't think he has taken a glass object (bottle, glass, vase) and smashed it on the benchtop before slashing the girl's face in a deliberate attempt to harm her?
That is a typical 'glassing'.

The fact that she is relieving him of blame and not pressing charges is a firm indication the incident happened in a different scenario.

Did he throw it at the wall and she got hit with shards?
Did she come at him, and putting his hand up in defence, he's pushed into her face?
Did he go to knock a glass out of her hand as she was drinking but pushed it into her face?

She doesn't seem to be suffering the 'battered wife syndrome' where an abused woman continually returns to an abusive environment. Women in that situation usually suffer low self esteem, have children or are financially dependant on the abuser.

He has obviously done something stupid, because as they were leaving the apartment for the hospital the neighbour heard Milligan say to Bird, "Why did you do that?", before he replied that he didn't.
I'd give him the benefit of the doubt here.
If it had been an intentional, typical glassing would he be that stupid to deny the obvious to the victim.
Instead, it would seem he is trying to get the point across that whatever happened was unintentional.

After time to reflect and sort through her role in the situation as well Milligan has arrived at a point where she is defending him of the accusations.

Whatever took place in that apartment has deeper ramifications than a game of footy and the accused will face their punishment if found guilty.
But it seems too easy to jump at this penalty of not letting him play.

It penalises Bird who may well be found not guilty in October.
It penalises a club who have invested a lot of time and money into said player.
It penalises us, the fans, who want to see our best players on the park. We don't want grubs, or law-breakers in the ranks, but we expect those players who may be accused of a crime to be afforded the time-honoured mantra of innocent til proven guilty.

This is not as clear cut as other evidence which suspends players, such as a failed drug test, drunken behaviour or committing dangerous acts on a security camera.

I have not defended Bird from the start, but taking into account the latest developments, I believe the club, Gallop and the sponsors have to get together and discuss what needs to be done to make sure he isn't being made a scapegoat for all the other high profile stars who have gotten away with boofhead behaviour without penalty.

Inferno

Coach
As supportive as this is, until Bird himself contacts the club, he won't be picked. All the support in the world from Katie won't change that unfortunately.

Hope she's kicking along well regarding her injuries, not that that article goes into it except for the "permanent scarring of her eye" :roll:

gunnamatta bay

Referee

Now I know you are genuinely thick.

Latest posts