What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KaTOEni Staggs

blue bags

First Grade
NRL star Kotoni Staggs breaks his silence over sex tape scandal and reveals how his mum and family reacted - as teenager faces court for sharing footage after he 'rejected her threesome proposal'
  • Kotoni Stags has spoken for the first time about embarrassing sex tape scandal
  • An intimate video of the star Broncos centre was leaked without his consent
  • He said telling his family was the hardest part but they always 'had his back'
By LEVI PARSONS and BRITTANY CHAIN FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

PUBLISHED: 20:31 AEDT, 7 October 2020 | UPDATED: 23:08 AEDT, 7 October 2020

NRL star Kotoni Staggs has spoken candidly about the 'embarrassing' sex tape scandal that the rocked the 21-year-old's career earlier this season.

The Brisbane Broncos speedster opened up about the harrowing chapter in his life for the first time in a newspaper article on Wednesday, admitting the ordeal left him 'shattered'.

He revealed the hardest part was telling his tight-knit family.

NRL star Kotoni Staggs (pictured) has spoken candidly about the 'embarrassing' sex tape scandal

33786468-8783761-image-a-2_1601421296421.jpg

McKenzie Lorraine Robinson, 18, (pictured) is accused of leaking the intimate video without his consent and is expected to plead guilty

'I was embarrassed it came out. I didn't want my family to see it, that was the one thing that I was worried about,' he told the Courier Mail.

Although he was nervous and terrified of letting them down, Staggs said they stuck by his side and took the difficult news well.

'They had my back through it all. I was surprised by how well they took it and that made me feel a bit better,' he said.
The code was rocked in August when a sex tape circulated online involving Staggs and a woman.

But a subsequent investigation by the NRL Integrity Unit and Queensland Police found that Staggs had done nothing wrong and was not the one who leaked the raunchy video.

'It wasn't my fault but I was still involved... there's always ups and downs. You learn from your mistakes,' he said.

Despite the embarrassment for the up-and-coming Bronco, Staggs (pictured) was cleared of any wrongdoing by the NRL's integrity unit after the video was released

Robinson (pictured) appeared in will appear in Brisbane Magistrates Court on October 16 over the matter

McKenzie Lorraine Robinson will appear in Brisbane Magistrates Court on October 16 and has indicated she will plead guilty to one count of distributing a prohibited video recording.

Who Kotoni Staggs?
Staggs made his NRL debut for the Broncos in 2018 and is already considered to be one of the games most exciting players.

The star centre has scored 26 tries in just 46 games and is known for his blistering speed.

After representing Tonga and the Indigenous All Stars in 2019, many tipped him to debut for the NSW Blues this year at the age of just 21.

But a devastating ACL injury in the Broncos' last-round loss to North Queensland will making him ineligible for State of Origin and see him in recovery for around six to nine months.

During the Broncos year from hell - that saw their coach Anthony Seibold sacked and the club handed their first wooden spoon - Staggs stellar form was among the few highlights for the struggling club.

NRL star Kotoni Staggs breaks his silence about 'embarrassing' sex tape scandalhttps://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8813989/NRL-star-Kotoni-Staggs-breaks-silence-embarrassing-sex-tape-scandal.html

Attachments

• upload_2020-10-8_20-7-41.gif
    upload_2020-10-8_20-7-41.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 11
    42 bytes · Views: 4
    42 bytes · Views: 5

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Not sure what's wrong with them.

She certainly wouldn't need to badger me for anything let alone a threesome.

Staggs just felt a threesome was something he could not tackle.

At least the guy is consistent. Based on this year I don't think there is anything he could tackle

Greenfields

Juniors
Geez no conviction and a $600 fine is sending a strong message...

But things must be tough if you have to wear Grandma’s tablecloth to court

Someguy

First Grade
An excellent outcome for the girl involved. Tiny fine, gets fame out of it that can be converted to social media followers. The income generated on social media will be much more than the $600 she was fined.

exploitation of a vulnerable member of society for her own gains and no conviction to show for it.

blue bags

First Grade
Teen at the centre of a sex tape scandal involving Kotoni Staggs bombarded the NRL star with 40 messages after he allegedly rejected her proposal of a threesome - as she pleads guilty to leaking the footage
  • McKenzie Robinson pleaded guilty to releasing sex tape of herself and NRL star
  • Robinson, 18, allegedly asked Kotoni Staggs for a threesome prior to leak
  • Staggs claims the footage was embarrassing and released without permission
  • She was given just a $600 fine and had no conviction recorded against her
  • The court heard there is no evidence she knew he was a professional footballer
  • Ms Robinson sent the video to one person who then distributed it further
  • She arrived in court early on Friday morning wearing a bright floral mini dress
By BRITTANY CHAIN IN BRISBANE FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

PUBLISHED: 12:15 AEDT, 16 October 2020 | UPDATED: 14:06 AEDT, 16 October 2020

A teenager who released a sex tape of herself with a star footballer bombarded him with up to 40 messages when he ignored her, a court has heard.

McKenzie Lorraine Robinson, 18, appeared in Brisbane Magistrates Court on Friday charged with distributing the illegal vision.

She pleaded guilty to sharing the 'first person' footage engaged in an intimate act with star Brisbane Broncos centre Kotoni Staggs between June 14 and August 5 without his consent.

But she denied knowing that Staggs was a high profile footballer, despite connecting with him on his Instagram page - which features dozens of photographs in his club jersey.

Ms Robinson received a $600 fine. The maximum penalty for the crime being a term of three years imprisonment.

Magistrate Tina Privatera took into account an early guilty plea and Ms Robinson escaped conviction.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Henri Rantala told the court Ms Robinson first messaged Staggs on Instagram on June 15 to tell him he was 'cute' after she saw him tagged in another person's photo.

The conversation continued well into the afternoon, and by that evening Staggs agreed to go to Ms Robinson's Newstead home.

Staggs spent several hours at the home and he agreed to be filmed engaging in consensual sex after Ms Robinson promised not to share the footage with anyone else.

Ms Robinson denies it was her idea to film their encounter, but accepted that she did make the recording and that it was on her phone.

The pair never met again, but Staggs later told police Ms Robinson bombarded him with between 30 and 40 messages over the following six weeks.

34452970-8845773-image-m-5_1602804258145.jpg

34452956-8845773-image-a-6_1602804264907.jpg

She arrived at court early on Friday morning wearing a bright floral mini dress and dark black sunglasses, flanked by her legal team

Despite the embarrassment for the up-and-coming Bronco, Staggs was cleared of any wrongdoing by the NRL's integrity unit after the video was released

In one message she included a snippet from the video that was filmed on the night.

It was previously reported that Ms Robinson asked Staggs if he would consider having a 'threesome' with her and a friend.

Defence lawyer Jason Jacobson agreed that she messaged him over seven separate days to initiate conversation again and to invite him back to her home.

He told the court Ms Robinson had only arrived in Queensland 10 days prior to meeting Staggs after moving from New South Wales.

He said she came to Queensland to 'escape a difficult situation in New South Wales' which had resulted in a diagnosis of post traumatic stress disorder.

The court heard that Ms Robinson sent the vision to one person, who was not named but is at least double her own age, and that person then distributed the video further.

The person who received the footage was somebody that Ms Robinson had 'trusted', the magistrate heard.

Ms Robinson tried to cover her face as she left court on Friday after receiving just a $600 fine for her actions

The court heard that Ms Robinson sent the vision to one person, who was not named but is at least double her own age, and that person then distributed the video further

McKenzie Lorraine Robinson, 18, appeared in Brisbane Magistrate's Court on Wednesday charged with distributing the illegal vision

By August 4, it had been distributed to other sport clubs and across several social media platforms, the court heard.

While handing down her sentence, the magistrate said she hoped the ordeal had been a lesson for the teenager.

'This kind of behaviour on social media, that it is highly destructive,' Ms Privatera said.

'This recording is derogatory of more than just the victim. Do you understand what I'm saying?' she asked.

Ms Robinson replied: 'Yes your honour.'

The magistrate also agreed there is no evidence that proved Ms Robinson knew Staggs was a high profile footballer when she first initiated a conversation with him.

'There is no evidence of intentional or spiteful behaviour on your part to cause the victim the damage that has been caused by the distribution of the recording,' she added.

Staggs' lawyer Dave Garratt previously said his client praised Queensland Police for their handling of the matter

The magistrate also agreed there is no evidence that proved Ms Robinson knew Staggs was a high profile footballer when she first initiated a conversation with him

Sgt Rantala said the video was subject of widespread domestic and international attention and caused Staggs a great deal of 'personal embarrassment' and 'professional repercussions affecting his public brand and potential sponsorship opportunities'.

'The appropriate sentence should reflect... the personal embarrassment and economic ramifications it's had on the victim in the circumstances,' he said.

Ms Robinson covered her face as she made her way from the court on Friday afternoon.

Her lawyer, Mr Jacobson, said the teenager had learnt a 'harsh lesson'.

The court heard she was working as a customer service representative at a large company while also undertaking her Year 11 and Year 12 higher school certificate at Tafe.

She has plans to return to New South Wales to study psychology and social work.

'She has learnt a harsh lesson in that these things are not to be distributed at all and of course you think you can trust one person with a secret and they may let you down,' he said.

Mr Jacobson previously insisted Ms Robinson - who now uses the alias McKenziana Skye on social media - never meant for the video to circulate on social media.

33786468-8783761-image-a-2_1601421296421.jpg

Her defence lawyer, Jason Jacobson, previously insisted the teenager never meant for the video to circulate on social media

33787036-8783761-image-a-6_1601421327753.jpg

Her defence lawyer, Jason Jacobson, previously insisted the teenager never meant for the video to circulate on social media

33786466-8783761-Pictured_McKenzie_Robinson-m-25_1601429519202.jpg

+18
Pictured: McKenzie Robinson

'It was not Ms Robinson that made this private video go public,' he told reporters outside court at her last scheduled appearance.

'That was never intended by her and she very much regrets that it did and she very much regrets the impact that it caused for Mr Staggs.

'There is an explanation as to how this happened and that will be put to the court at a later date.'

Staggs recently opened up about the harrowing experience of learning the tape had been released, and said telling his tight-knit family about what had happened was his worst nightmare.

The 21-year-old said he was 'shattered' that his private life had been thrust into public domain.

'I was embarrassed it came out. I didn't want my family to see it, that was the one thing that I was worried about,' he told The Courier Mail.

'They had my back through it all. I was surprised by how well they took it and that made me feel a bit better.'

Despite the embarrassment for the up-and-coming Bronco, Staggs was cleared of any wrongdoing by the NRL's integrity unit after the video was released.

'It wasn't my fault but I was still involved... there's always ups and downs. You learn from your mistakes,' he said.

When she last appeared in court, a lawyer for Ms Robinson, who now uses the alias McKenziana Skye on social media, vowed to explain how the sex tape was leaked at a later court appearance

Staggs alleges Robinson, who describes herself as a 'holistic wellness coach,' repeatedly called and messaged him following their rendezvous

Fed up with constant messages from Ms Robinson after their one night together, Staggs reportedly asked the teen to stop contacting him just weeks before the video was released to the public.

Share or comment on this article:
McKenzie Robinson pleads guilty to releasing sex tape with Brisbane Broncos NRL star Kotoni Staggs
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-Brisbane-Broncos-NRL-star-Kotoni-Staggs.html

blue bags

First Grade
He made a complaint to police after the video surfaced, claiming it was released without his consent.

The 18-year-old shared several scantily-clad photos of herself on social media prior to deleting it when the scandal broke.

She wrote online that she is 'dedicated to empowerment and love'.

'I am a (sic) empath and have a huge high energy connection to the universe through crystals, meditation, aromatherapy and oracle readings,' a post on her Instagram read.

Staggs' lawyer Dave Garratt previously said his client praised Queensland Police for their handling of the matter.

'Mr Staggs is extremely embarrassed and disappointed that his private life has been brought into the public domain,' Mr Garratt said.

'It has caused embarrassment to him, his family and the club and he is hoping to put this behind him now and leave it with the authorities.'

Fed up with the alleged constant messaging, Staggs reportedly asked the teen to stop contacting him just weeks before the video was released to the public

Staggs was recently ruled out of the upcoming State of Origin match when he injured himself in the final game of the regular season

Staggs was at the centre of another bizarre incident this year after a host of victims came forward to police complaining they had been 'catfished' by someone impersonating him on social media.

Police once again cleared Staggs of any wrongdoing.

It capped off a horror season for his NRL club who finished last for the first time in their history.

Broncos coach Anthony Seibold was sacked toward the end of the year after managing just three wins all season.

Staggs stellar performances were one of the few highlights for the Broncos throughout the season, and was considered a shoe-in to make his State of Origin debut.

But a devastating ACL injury in the Broncos' last-round loss to North Queensland made him ineligible and see him in recovery for between six and nine months.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-Brisbane-Broncos-NRL-star-Kotoni-Staggs.html

Someguy

First Grade
How long till she is on ‘I’m a celebrity get me out of here’ ‘celebrity big brother’ or some other trash tv show for people that will never make it big

Latest posts