What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Katsidis wants crack at Mundine

Katsidis wants crack at Mundine

• By Adrian Warren
  • January 12, 2010 5:55PM

802445-dtstory-michael-katsidis.jpg

Wants to take on Mundine...Michael Katsidis. Source: AP

One of Anthony Mundine's old undercard fighters wants a crack at The Man, but before boxing fans complain about another substandard opponent, the fighter in question is WBO interim lightweight world champion Michael Katsidis.
Mundine maintained his record of never having lost to another Australian by unanimously out-pointing fellow Sydneysider Robert Medley in a 12-round fight at the Sydney Entertainment Centre on Monday night.
The result extends Mundine's winning streak to 15 fights and improved his professional record to 38-3.
His next fight is scheduled to be against The Contender reality TV show winner Garth Wood, who has had only eight professional fights.
American-based Queenslander Katsidis would be prepared to move up three weight divisions to junior middleweight to fight Mundine, who was originally scheduled to box Medley in that category before changing it to a middleweight contest.

Katsidis revealed Mundine had recently left a message on his website in which he praised his fighting ability and also reminded the Toowoomba-born boxer of his appearances on his undercards.
He fought on Mundine undercards in Sydney in 2002 and 2004 and the two men have also sparred.
Mundine has already defeated two of Katsidis's 2000 Australian Olympic teammates in Danny Green and Daniel Geale.
Katsidis has compiled an impressive 26-2 record, with his only losses coming against world champions Joel Casamayor and Juan Diaz.
"This (fight) is something that would really lift the profile of the sport in Australia," Katsidis told AAP.
"It's just not me, I think a lot of people would like to see that.
"The very first time it (a fight with Mundine) dawned upon me is when he flew over to watch me fight Casamayor.
"He came over to America and he stood next to me and I thought he's not that much taller.
"He's definitely not wider than me, in the shoulders, he's not as big as me."
Katsidis wasn't worried about Mundine's famed hand speed.
"It's nothing different to the lightweights that I am experiencing over here. The speed of the guys is as fast if not faster, so I am used to that," Katsidis said.
Now based in Las Vegas with his wife and baby daughter, Katsidis said Mundine was "relatively unknown" in the United States.
Katsidis's manager and trainer Brendon Smith said he would give his full blessing to his charge fighting Mundine.
He stressed Katsidis was not issuing a challenge to his compatriot.
Although genuinely interested in fighting Mundine, Katsidis's No.1 priority remains his mandatory challenge to WBO lightweight world champion Juan Manuel Marquez.
"I'm honouring the commitment with the WBO," said Katsidis.
If he doesn't fight Katsidis next, Marquez - who has a May 1 date scheduled for his next fight - will be stripped of the title and the Australian will be recognised as the full WBO champion.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/katsidis-wants-crack-at-mundine/story-e6frexni-1225818535684

Mong

Post Whore
A lightweight wanting to fight him at a weight he couldn't ge to for this most recent fight.

Someone is looking for a payday and a rise in his public image here.. No way this one would happen

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
A lightweight wanting to fight him at a weight he couldn't ge to for this most recent fight.

Someone is looking for a payday and a rise in his public image here.. No way this one would happen

and who does he remind you of ?

charlie frith

Juniors
Mundine is a low dog who pulled out of the light middle weight fight with Robbie Medley one week out from the fight.Medley would have knocked Mundine out at light middle weight. It's a similar situation to Danny Green fighting Mundine at middle weight. When you have to waste that much it takes the juice out of you. Each fighter would flog the other if fighting them at their preferred weight.i.e Medley beats Green if Green had to fight at light middle weight. Says alot about Medleys toughness , taking the fight at Mundines weight on one weeks notice. Mundine you are a low dog with no humility whatsoever. An embarrassment to all Australians , especially our indigenous brothers.