What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keep Carney despite his mistakes

parra pete

Referee
I hope he stays with the Raiders that's for sure.
I was just passing on what I heard.....and mate, don't kid yourself..Money talks all languages...irrespective of whether the kid loves the Club. Most footballers I know love money more...Loyalty is a thing of the past.
It's a long way out..and a lot of water will pass under the bridge before his contract expires...and he is a player the Raiders can ill afford to lose.. and I hope they don't...

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
I like to think that I am pretty open minded about these things - hell, when people were going nuts over Monoghan taking off, I wished him the best and waved him on his way. When Shif moved on, I started watching a lot more Super 14. Good luck to him, I say.

But if Carney walked out on the Raiders after all this, I would consider it the most phenomenal act of bastardry in the history of sport. I know that football is a job and that comes with certain ways of thinking, but deadset...it would be a low act, wouldn't it.

Para Pete, I like your scoops and hope you keep them up...but deadset, I really, really hope you're wrong on this one.

Raider_69

Post Whore
parra pete said:
I hope he stays with the Raiders that's for sure.
I was just passing on what I heard.....and mate, don't kid yourself..Money talks all languages...irrespective of whether the kid loves the Club. Most footballers I know love money more...Loyalty is a thing of the past.
It's a long way out..and a lot of water will pass under the bridge before his contract expires...and he is a player the Raiders can ill afford to lose.. and I hope they don't...

i understand you're just passing on the information you've herd, but based on the reasons above, i cant see this one holding much weight. Especially this far out. 2009 is a long way away, anything can happen now till then, the sharks could unearth or sign a bloke who they rate better then Carney. Stuart could get the arse, Carney could stuff up again, Noddy could re-sign, Carney's could go into a massive form slump... alot of time between now and then Pete.

It it comes to June-July next year and carney is still un-signed, and you're still reporting this 'scoop', then i might start to worry, till then im not to concerned, i believe todd will do the right thing by us after all the club has done for him

parra pete

Referee
Tokyo_Raider said:
I like to think that I am pretty open minded about these things - hell, when people were going nuts over Monoghan taking off, I wished him the best and waved him on his way. When Shif moved on, I started watching a lot more Super 14. Good luck to him, I say.

But if Carney walked out on the Raiders after all this, I would consider it the most phenomenal act of bastardry in the history of sport. I know that football is a job and that comes with certain ways of thinking, but deadset...it would be a low act, wouldn't it.

Para Pete, I like your scoops and hope you keep them up...but deadset, I really, really hope you're wrong on this one.

So do I, T_R, So do I.
Carney has a contract until the end of 2008. From what I have been told he WON'T be cut by the Raiders.
I was told that the Sharks are circling, with Stuart signing Dykes to be a 'seat warmer' at half back waiting for the arrival of Carney in 2009..and that's why the Club (Cronulla) put the kybosh on re-signing Noddy.
It is in its early days...I doubt if an offer has even been made to Carney by the Sharks. It is in its early days...very early days. It is not a 'scoop'..I don't pretend it is. It just came up in conversation with my mate. Anyway there is ALWAY someone to come along. No-one is indispensable.
Sometime when you're feeling important;
Sometime when your ego 's in bloom;
Sometime when you take it for granted,
You're the best qualified in the room:
Sometime when you feel that your going,
Just follow these simple instructions,
And see how they humble your soul.

Take a bucket and fill it with water,
Put your hand in it up to the wrist,
Pull it out and the hole that's remaining,
Is a measure of how much you'll be missed.
You can splash all you wish when you enter,
You may stir up the water galore,
But stop, and you'll find that in no time,
It looks quite the same as before.

[SIZE=+1]The moral of this quaint example,
Is to do just the best that you can,
Be proud of yourself but remember,
There's no indispensable man
.[/SIZE]

Raider_69

Post Whore
kybosh :lol:
i watched the crazy joe seinfeld ep last night... been using kybosh all day
you're becoming a hard man to dislike pete, but ill continue to do my best

Mal Meninga

Bench
Wasn't Toddy in negotations with Canberra to extend his deal past 2010? When did the Sharkies and Toddy commit..... Was he on the phone to Cronulla while Toddy was about to jump into the ute?

raider_at_heart

Juniors
The sharks can circle all they want. Todd is the one that makes the decision and after all this is over he'll be a raider for life.
The kid bleeds green.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
parra pete said:
I was told that the Sharks are circling, with Stuart signing Dykes to be a 'seat warmer' at half back waiting for the arrival of Carney in 2009..and that's why the Club (Cronulla) put the kybosh on re-signing Noddy.

It would actually be alot more conceivable if it were Dobson you were talking about. It would also explain why the Raiders haven't made any apparent move towards locking Dobson up.

There's too many WTFs for this to be Carney IMO. Way too many WTFs. Like T_R said, it would be one of the biggest dog acts in the history of sport.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Mal Meninga said:
Wasn't Toddy in negotations with Canberra to extend his deal past 2010? When did the Sharkies and Toddy commit..... Was he on the phone to Cronulla while Toddy was about to jump into the ute?

ease up mate
who said anything about todd committing to the sharks

parra pete

Referee
I don't follow the negotiations closely.
I am a Parramatta supporter and have been for a loooooooong time.
I have some very good mates involved with the Raiders, blokes I have known for years. I love the Raiders Club because it has a real "Country" feel about it and I have lived and worked in a small country town for 41 years.
I often have conversations with my mates, The Todd Carney situation came up in one of those conversations. It wasn't a pssssst....guess what type talk..it was about footy, State of Origin and the subject of Carney was raised - by me.
What I was told, was what I posted. Not meant to be a 'scoop' just what is happening at the moment. As I said lots of water to pass under the bridge.
I hope I'm wrong....
Better to put the pressure on Carney NOW, than wait until he is signed from under your noses - when nothing can be done.

Like someone has already said, it'd be lower than Finch.....I just hope the raiders get their act together and extend his contract

Chachi

Bench
At this stage it's a bit of 1+1=3 methinks.

Kinda fits with Todd's wonderful record of great career moves though!

sydraider

First Grade
One thing I want to ask pete, if your sources are close to the club, then wouldnt the club hear the same talk also?

sydraider

First Grade
Stuart cant be that good of a coach if he is looking at nabbing todd for no7

Anyone with half a brain can see he is a natural 6, does migrain boy need any more signs than that of todd attacking the line ala fittleresque?

Still the prrof is in the pudding I guess, making 3 grand finals with arguably one of the worlds best players ever and complimenting him with finch and walker, well if todd wants that type of future, then he can have it. I really dont want this to happen, I said to myself when this latest incident occured, that if todd was forced out of the club, then whoever signed him, would become my most despised club, it would make me automatically hate sticky in so many ways if it were the sharks.

parra pete

Referee
sydraider said:
One thing I want to ask pete, if your sources are close to the club, then wouldnt the club hear the same talk also?

The answer to that question is....... Most certainly YES it has.

raidersforme

Juniors
Raiders have duty to Carney: Raiders
Chris Wilson
space.gif

Canberra Raiders chairman John McIntyre referred to the club yesterday as a "correctional facility" and said the Raiders had a responsibility to help wayward young star Todd Carney. Carney will appear in the ACT Magistrates Court on Monday on charges of failing to stop when directed by police, negligent driving and driving while disqualified.
The Raiders have suspended the 20-year-old halfback and teammate Steve Irwin after they were allegedly involved in a police pursuit through the suburb of Bruce on Friday night. Police did not charge Irwin, who was allegedly a passenger in his own vehicle. The Canberra Times understands Carney will meet Raiders coach Neil Henry today, when Henry returns from State of Origin duties in Queensland. The Raiders board, management and Henry will also meet at the Mawson Club tomorrow morning.
Mr McIntyre said the extraordinary board meeting was called not to sack Carney, but to explore a detailed rehabilitation plan. Mr McIntyre said sacking Carney would be like rejecting a family member.
"As another [Raiders] director said to me, 'If one of your family gets in trouble you do your utmost for the family to get together and trade your way out of it'," Mr McIntyre said. "This gentleman said, 'Toddy is one of our family'."
Carney has two previous drink-driving convictions, the latest from December last year. He is still serving a two-year good-behaviour bond in NSW. Mr McIntyre said the Raiders had demonstrated an ability to reform players, referring to the club as a "correctional facility".
He added he said it tongue-in-cheek.
The Raiders have recruited three players in the past two seasons who have either been sacked by their previous NRL clubs or deregistered by the NRL. Former Cronulla Sharks prop Jason Williams served a jail sentence for assaulting a teammate, former Newcastle prop Dane Tilse served a 12-month NRL ban for a pre-season incident at a Bathurst University in 2005, and the Brisbane Broncos sacked Neville Costigan last year for a string of alcohol-related incidents.
Mr McIntyre, who chairs the Raiders' board of nine, said most members were supportive of helping Carney.
"I see the major issue [of tomorrow's meeting] is the organisation itself addressing the issue of full-time professionalism for our players and how we manage that."
Mr McIntyre said he would even seek a meeting with Sydney Swans management when the AFL club came to Canberra this weekend to play the Western Bulldogs.
Mr McIntyre said behavioral issues occured across all codes and it could be beneficial to form an alliance. "Certainly I'll make my best endeavours to have a chat and set up some sort of an exchange of idea arrangement with the management of the Swans. I think what we've got to do is address the issue of how we manage the off-field situation of our players. The Swans have got an exemplary record. We've been pretty good too in that history of full-time professionalism. This is probably the most difficult one we've had to deal with."
Mr McIntyre suggested part of Carney's rehabilitation plan might include extra charity work, "concentrating his free time".
Should the Raiders retain Carney, who is contracted until the end of 2008, Mr McIntyre denied it would be a sign of weakness. "There's no suggestion of letting him off. Any disciplinary action is not an issue at this point in time, after all there is still the presumption of innocence until the court matter takes place."
Mr McIntyre said Carney's future was particularly important to the club because he was a Goulburn junior and the Raiders had invested a lot of resources in his development. "We'd be letting down all those people that have been involved in developing the Todd Carneys, the Laurie Daleys, the Bradley Clydes and the Ricky Stuarts and so on. I don't know there's another NRL club that comes within a bulls roar of what we spend on junior development."
The NRL has the power to de-register Carney. Raiders general manager Don Furner would not speculate on whether Carney would play again this season.
"I'll tell you one thing, there definitely won't be a decision on his future out of [tomorrow's board] meeting," Mr Furner said.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de...lass=general&story_id=588175&category=General

Latest posts