What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keith Senior

innsaneink

Referee
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,11349716-23214,00.html

Senior set for overhaul
November 11, 2004

GIANT British Test centre Keith Senior yesterday vowed to lift his game against Australia at Wigan's JJB Stadium on Sunday morning.

The pledge came as both teams stepped up the psychological warfare leading up to the expected "dream" Tri-Nations final on November 27.

Senior, who was named in official World 13s in 2002-03, has made little impression on the Tri-Nations tournament and was cancelled out of the game by Australian centre Shaun Berrigan the last time the teams met in Manchester a fortnight ago.

Last Saturday against New Zealand 100kg Senior carried the ball only eight times compared with his Test average of 18 and Britain need him to be more involved if they are to beat Australia at Wigan and clinch a place in the final at Leeds.

"I'm not making breaks and some people say it's because I'm not getting quality ball," he said. "But I have to go looking for work even if it means doing more dummy-half running.

"Berrigan gets in your face in defence but he's not just there as a spoiler. He's played halfback and he's dangerous in attack as well.

"He's a tough opponent."

Kangaroos coach Wayne Bennett said everyone in Britain was desperate for an Australia-Britain final with New Zealand only able to spoil the party if the Aussies win on Sunday then then the Kiwis beat the hosts the following week in Hull.

"Obviously from the point of view of the code over here it's in everyone's best interests for Britain to be in the final but it doesn't always work out that way," Bennett said. "I don't have a preference but common sense would tell me that.

"Britain say they've only scratched the surface of what they're capable of but we're not playing anywhere near what we're capable of either. So it'll be exciting if we both get it right. We won on the bell in Manchester and I expect it to be close again."

Australian skipper Danny Buderus said pride in the jumper was motivation enough for the match even though the Kangaroos are assured of a final berth.

"If they [Britain] say they've got a few gears we've got a few gears as well that we can go up in," Buderus said.

"A Test against Britain is a childhood dream. Every chance you get you've got to make the most of it."

Five-eighth Scott Hill aims to make the most of his chance after he withdrew on match day in Manchester because of a virus which kept him in bed for almost a week.

"It takes a lot to let a Test jumper go so obviously the virus I had was pretty bad," Hill said.

"The fact I'm alongside Noddy [halfback Brett Kimmorley] is a bonus. We had a few years at Melbourne together and a season at the Hunter Mariners so we know each other's game pretty well."

The first time they played together was in the Hunter Region under-10s while at Test level they last combined in the 64-10 win over Britain in Sydney in 2002.

"It would be nice to get that sort of score again but it's not going to happen," Hill said.

Australian second-rower Craig Fitzgibbon could face a fitness test on his suspect shoulder tomorrow but the Roosters star said he was "pretty confident" it would be right after it ruled him out of the Manchester Test.

If Fitzgibbon is out Andrew Ryan is likely to start.

Well......lets see how he goes when he 'lifts his game'!

JJ

Immortal
The Colonel said:
Special K said:
Vagana was the man.

Vagana :lol: Protected by the Dogs defence and left out in the open by the Sharks. Both Tate and Lyon made him look very ordinary during the Test match in 2003..... Vagana was only ever the man when he had someone who could do the defending for him.

Didn't Vagan play fullback and stand-off in recent tests??

Lyon was #1, but cannot be considered that anymore.

Possibly Gasnier?

bartman

Immortal
This best centre title is open and there for the taking.

Lyon is/was better than Vagana for some time now.
Senior and Gleeson do the job OK, very reliable.
Gasnier might be a chance but went missing this season as well, so has to start from the beginning.
Tonga has done well this year, but will take more time before he can be called a "great".

This centre debate just highlights how average this Oz side is. Tonga and Berrigan are poor compared to past players. You had Meninga, Miles, Rogers, McGaw, Daley, Renouf, Close, Fitler, Johns, the list is endless. Even guys like Coyne and Florimo are better than the current duo.

JK

Rightio, lets just forget about Vagana's centre performance in 2002-3 where he was an asset in defence and hungry for the ball.

He had a crap year in 2004 but don't diss on what he already achieved. He was dynamite.

bartman

Immortal
JK said:
He had a crap year in 2004 but don't diss on what he already achieved. He was dynamite.
He was indeed, back in a well performing team with a good blokes around him.

But just like Lyon, Gasnier etc, Vagana has to start from scratch as well after a poor 2004, if you're talking about who is now to be called the best centre in the world.

The Clan

Juniors
innsaneink said:
Fairleigh Good! said:
We all know Senior is not the worlds best centre, Jamie Lyon clearly wears that crown.

Senior though is better than the crap that parades at centre for Australia.

What crap?

The crap that gave the ball to Rooney for the match winner? :lol:

Or the other little crap , whos really playing out of position, but still kept your mob queit all nite?

At least they didnt kick it straight to the fullback when they had an overlap outside em.

Senior? :lol: :lol: :lol: Puhleeease!
Hasbeen.

I'll judge Tonga on eighty minutes of football not two basic centre to winger passes that most 11 year olds could do!

The second pass was forward by the way.

Was'nt Tonga the man who missed Carney in the first test and also got caught out by Sculthorpes inside pass that sent Peacock through for GBs first.

Worlds best my arse, he may be one day but now! not even close.

westie

Bench
Tonga has had one good game against two piss weak defenders. The quality of centers in the world at the moment has declined rapidly in the last 2-3 years.

General Knight

Juniors
From what I have seen of the Tri Nations series I really think Senior is very over rated. I dont know how he goes in the ESL but in the games I have seen him play so far I would not have him in my team. For a guy his size and strength, at centre he should be more damaging but instead his opposite number just keeps shuting him done and making him look like a pussy. I definately dont rate him.

innsaneink

Referee
If that is how he "lifts his game" then I think his time in a pommy jersey should cease very soon.........did SFA again.

Carney.....now theres a back, every time I see this bloke I like him more n more. Seems to be a bloody handful.

bartman

Immortal
I thought Gleeson had a good game last night. He's getting back into form after his months out of action.