What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kennedy or Mason?

CharlieF

Juniors
Hard choice between these two, but who would help your team more? Who would assure that your team made the eight? What about once in the 8, who do you think can carry the team to the last week or two for you?
If your team could have either one of these players for the rest of this season, who would it be?

For me its Kennedy, he is playing fantastic. It could be because he knows its his very last season. The man is on a mission.

Nathan B

Juniors
CharlieF said:
What about once in the 8, who do you think can carry the team to the last week or two for you?

Easy...Willie Mason.

He's done it before - just watch the '04 final series. Ended with a Clive Churchill Medal.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
If his fitness was guarranteed, BK. But if I was sigfning one of them I'd take Mason due to BK's age and injury record.

Nathan B

Juniors
gunnamatta bay said:
Oh, I didnt know the CCM was awarded for your leadership qualities.

I didn't say it was. I merely described Mason as a leader who has won a CCM and a premiership.

You're not seriously questioning Mason's leadership qualities are you?

1) He led the Dogs team through the '04 finals - a finals in which the Dogs won. Just grab a copy of the games and watch him rally the troops after each game. The Penrith Preliminary Final is a good one.

2) He's the heart and soul of the Dogs club TODAY. A club that is sitting outright second and premiership favourites.

3) Grab a few quotes from his origin teammates and Graham Murray from a few months back. A lot of them spoke about Mason being in the leadership group of the NSW side.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Nathan B said:
I didn't say it was. I merely described Mason as a leader who has won a CCM and a premiership.

You're not seriously questioning Mason's leadership qualities are you?

1) He led the Dogs team through the '04 finals - a finals in which the Dogs won. Just grab a copy of the games and watch him rally the troops after each game. The Penrith Preliminary Final is a good one.

2) He's the heart and soul of the Dogs club TODAY. A club that is sitting outright second and premiership favourites.

3) Grab a few quotes from his origin teammates and Graham Murray from a few months back. A lot of them spoke about Mason being in the leadership group of the NSW side.

So I guess you think he is captain material at the dogs then? Does Folkes agree?

mattyg

Bench
Almost every dogs supporter thinks he is captain material for the dogs. Unfortunately for him, we have Andrew Ryan who got to captain the 04 GF and since we won he has basically been a shoe in captain. Also he has been around for longer than Mason. I think Mason will captain NSW before he captains the Bulldogs. ohh and for the actual question, i'd choose mason over BK.

CharlieF

Juniors
There is no doubting the leadership qualities of both players. There is also no doubting that a team, for example, like Penrith or the Cowboys right now could gain from such a player, getting that extra inspiration to put their season back on track, while it is still possible.

The Colonel

Immortal
Kennedy looks to be a man on a mission at the moment but I'd happily take Mason. Not only is the bloke a future Bulldogs captain but I wouldn't rule out a stint as the NSW captain either. Mason has matured as a player both on and off the field IMO.

Kennedy's frustrations with the referees and injuries are coming close to overtaking his value at this point. He is still a valuable player but how much more can his body take?

CharlieF

Juniors
The Colonel said:
Kennedy looks to be a man on a mission at the moment but I'd happily take Mason. Not only is the bloke a future Bulldogs captain but I wouldn't rule out a stint as the NSW captain either. Mason has matured as a player both on and off the field IMO.

Kennedy's frustrations with the referees and injuries are coming close to overtaking his value at this point. He is still a valuable player but how much more can his body take?

He only has to play another 9 more NRL games in his life. He has missed 2 games in the last 2 seasons from memory. Its highly unlikely that he will breakdown now. He is currently playing some of the best football of his career, and the knowledge that this will also be his last might give an indication as to how he will perform come finals time. Mason is also playing good football, as is expected.

The Colonel

Immortal
CharlieF said:
He only has to play another 9 more NRL games in his life. He has missed 2 games in the last 2 seasons from memory. Its highly unlikely that he will breakdown now. He is currently playing some of the best football of his career, and the knowledge that this will also be his last might give an indication as to how he will perform come finals time. Mason is also playing good football, as is expected.

I'm aware of that. The groin is really starting to trouble him and the Manly side suffer when he is off. At some point his body will say enough - it might be after 9 games but it could be after 1.

His frustrations with the referees are going to cost Manly as well somewhere down the track.