What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kennedy reverses retirement, 2006 to be his last.

HannahMc

Juniors
Apologies if this has been posted already, I looked but didn't find it.

BEN Kennedy will hold talks with Manly chief executive Pat Wilson and coach Des Hasler today amid speculation he will announce he is retiring at the end of the season.

Kennedy's manager, Mike Newton, spoke to club officials yesterday morning, informing them the Sea Eagles captain wanted to discuss his future.

Kennedy has a one-year option on his existing contract but has hinted he may retire to concentrate on a career post-football.

Newton last night said he was unaware of Kennedy's plans beyond this season.

However, a meeting will take place today between the former NSW and Australian forward and key Manly officials.

"We told Manly Ben would make a decision in the first five or six rounds of the competition," Newton said.

"Obviously it's a big decision for him. He's taken a bit longer than expected. With such an important decision, it's understandable."

Kennedy, 32, is in his second season with Manly and shows no signs of dropping form, sitting in second place in the Dally M Medal behind North Queensland's Johnathan Thurston.

His decision is likely to have a domino effect on the Sea Eagles squad, with stalwart Steve Menzies and young five-eighth Travis Burns among those off contract.

The club has also been heavily linked to St Helens centre Jamie Lyon, who is keen to return to the NRL in 2007.

Kennedy could also inform Manly officials today he plans to make himself available for the Anzac Test against New Zealand at Suncorp Stadium, a move that would allow him to exit international football alongside long-time team-mate Andrew Johns and former Canberra team-mate Ricky Stuart, the Test coach.

Before that can happen, however, Kennedy would need to reverse his earlier decision to seek exemption from representative games.

"At the moment he's not going to be considered unless he contacts us," ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said.

"We haven't heard from him. I know the coach and him have got a long relationship and whether they've talked or not I can't comment on."

North Queensland could be running roughshod over other teams for many years to come after Carl Webb became the latest Cowboy to pledge his allegiance to the club.

The damaging 25-year-old Queensland forward yesterday re-signed with the outright competition leader until the end of 2008.

Webb joins injured winger Ty Williams in shoring up his future with the Townsville-based club before the game's anti-tampering deadlines expire on June 30.

The Cowboys, who are four points clear of the pack on the NRL ladder, now have to only re-sign Matt Sing, Paul Bowman and Josh Hannay this year to keep their first grade squad intact for 2007 with the exception of captain Travis Norton.

Even more important is the fact the club is poised to begin talks with Dally medallist and the game's in-form player, Thurston, despite the half not being off contract until the end of next season.

"It's always a balancing act but our goal is to try and keep the squad together as long as we can and we'll continue to pursue that over the coming weeks," Cowboys chief executive Peter Parr said.

"Obviously it's becoming harder and harder because they're not on the same money they were when they first got here, or they were when some of these younger blokes first got out of school.

"But I think the fact over the last couple of years we've proven what a consistent footy team we are that, while money is a huge factor in any decision they make, most players simply like to play with other good players and a team they think can play finals football."

Webb has been touted as a possible bolter for the Kangaroos in next month's Anzac Test against New Zealand - his natural aggression would be a welcome asset against the Kiwis - but he said an Australian jumper might be too early for him.

"Personally, no I don't think so," Webb said when asked if he had done enough to be selected for the Test.

I think this is only speculation, and the media is making too much of it, but you never know. I suspect he'll run out his contract and retire afterwards. It'll be interesting when he chooses to retire. 32 isn't incredibly old.

edit: whoops, can't edit a title typo :(

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18866506-23214,00.html

Stranger

Coach
BK always will be a favourite of mine.
Will never forget what he did to parramatta in 2001 GF.

c_eagle

Juniors
If Kennedy stays, Menzies will be let go. If he retires, Menzies will stay on. Kennedy has priority within the club though. It's a sad situation but our best chance of winning the competition is this year. Unlikely I suppose.

t-ba

Post Whore
Indeed. But if it comes between BK and Beaver, Sentiment will override commonsense for me. Manly gave Beaver an awesome Career, but along with Chopper and a handful of other players Menzies is the reason Manly still exist in the top flight. For 2002 alone, He deserves another two seasons and a crack at Terry Lambs match record.

I understand the clubs choice in the matter, but it saddens me immensely that a man who practically carried the club from the brink of oblivion might be forced to leave it.

When you combine his exploits both on and off of the Field, he is the greatest the Manly club has and probably ever will see.

nqboy

First Grade
I just can't cop the bit about him coming out or retirement, "a move that would allow him to exit international football alongside long-time team-mate Andrew Johns and former Canberra team-mate Ricky Stuart, the Test coach."

What a load of sh*te. We're running the Test side so mates can play together for old times sake now?

Maroubra Eel

Coach
t-ba said:
Indeed. But if it comes between BK and Beaver, Sentiment will override commonsense for me. Manly gave Beaver an awesome Career, but along with Chopper and a handful of other players Menzies is the reason Manly still exist in the top flight. For 2002 alone, He deserves another two seasons and a crack at Terry Lambs match record.

I understand the clubs choice in the matter, but it saddens me immensely that a man who practically carried the club from the brink of oblivion might be forced to leave it.

When you combine his exploits both on and off of the Field, he is the greatest the Manly club has and probably ever will see.

Top flight :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats gold.:lol: :lol:

c_eagle

Juniors
t-ba said:

I don't disagree mate. We are eternally indebted to Menzies and Reeves just for signing contracts. Unfortunately, football clubs aren't run on nostalgia and that's probably the way it should be.

Should Menzies be an exception? I'm glad it's not up to me, really.

domdom

Juniors
CONFIRMED - this is from the sea eagles' website. sad to see him retire, as i still think he had at least one more good season in him. he will definietly get a spot in the test team. next to hindmarsh, he's been the best forward this season so far.

Manly Sea Eagles - Important Announcement

MEDIA RELEASE - KENNEDY'S FUTURE DECIDED Manly Sea Eagles captain Ben Kennedy today announced he had made himself available for selection for the Anzac Test Match in Brisbane on May 5.

Kennedy also officially informed the Sea Eagles that the 2006 season would be his last. The powerhouse forward said he had thought long and hard about both decisions.

RainMan

Juniors
domdom said:
Manly Sea Eagles - Important Announcement

MEDIA RELEASE - KENNEDY'S FUTURE DECIDED Manly Sea Eagles captain Ben Kennedy today announced he had made himself available for selection for the Anzac Test Match in Brisbane on May 5.

Kennedy also officially informed the Sea Eagles that the 2006 season would be his last. The powerhouse forward said he had thought long and hard about both decisions.

Good on him for making the decision now, plenty of time before June 30 ;-) .

Now if only Michael Witt would come out and do the same... :lol:

Balmain_Boy

nqboy said:
I just can't cop the bit about him coming out or retirement, "a move that would allow him to exit international football alongside long-time team-mate Andrew Johns and former Canberra team-mate Ricky Stuart, the Test coach."

What a load of sh*te. We're running the Test side so mates can play together for old times sake now?

What are you on about? He's decided to come back and will be selected because he is one of Australia's top 2 backrowers; not to give him a farewell.

jamesgould

Juniors
Balmain_Boy said:
What are you on about? He's decided to come back and will be selected because he is one of Australia's top 2 backrowers; not to give him a farewell.

I can't understand all this anti-Johns and now Kennedy for retiring from rep football after the test. How is it different from retiring from rep football at any other time!? Shane Webcke did it straight after a Tri-Nations ... I don't recall anyone going off at him.

You'd think you'd want to pick your best test side depending on who the best players are that are available, in order to try and win the test - and Johns and Kennedy definitely fit that bill.

As for Kennedy retiring - one of the most passionate players to pull on the red and blue, Newcastle should build a statue of him. Rugby league won't be the same once he's gone :(

Mr Saab

Referee
jamesgould said:
Shane Webcke did it straight after a Tri-Nations ... I don't recall anyone going off at him.

That is because he said he was reitring and he stood by his word.
Some people are angry because of all this "Retirement" crap.
People say they retire and then come back.
I am not fussed about it, but some are. Thats life.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
jamesgould said:
As for Kennedy retiring - one of the most passionate players to pull on the red and blue, Newcastle should build a statue of him. Rugby league won't be the same once he's gone :(

He plays for Manly.

The Colonel

Immortal
Kennedy reverses retirement
April 20, 2006

MANLY captain Ben Kennedy has reversed his decision to retire from representative rugby league and has made himself available for Australia for the Anzac Test match.

Kennedy, who today also informed the Sea Eagles 2006 would be his last year in the NRL, said the May 5 Test against New Zealand would definitely be his final one.

"It wasn't easy because I love the game and will miss it but I don't want to be a player who has gone one season too long," the 32-year-old said.

"Playing for my country remains close to my heart and I have made myself available to play if chosen.

"Coach Ricky Stuart had a lot to do with my early career in the game and it would be wonderful to play my last Test match alongside Andrew Johns.

"There is the nightmare of that heavy defeat at the hands of the Kiwis last year to try and set right."

Kennedy said he wanted to end his career on a high and had set his sights on a premiership at the end of the season.

"We can mix it with the best teams - our form against the Cowboys and the Dragons proves that and I want to give it my best shot," he said.

"Hopefully my decision now will make it easier for Manly to look around at what they want to do next season.

"While I love the heat of the battle on match days it has become increasingly harder to get myself up for training."

Manly coach Des Hasler said he understood the reasons behind Kennedy's decision.

"He said when he came he would give us two seasons of everything he had and he continues to do that," Hasler said.

Manly CEO Pat Wilson said the club appreciated Kennedy's early decision.

"We would have given Ben as long as he wanted to make up his mind but he said he would tell us after six rounds and he has done that," Wilson said.

"He is such an inspirational player and leader but he is with us for the 2006 season and that is something the supporters will enjoy in each match he plays."

AAP

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18869625-23210,00.html

Latest posts