What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kevin Walters Sacked

Big Pete

Referee
After conducting an end of season review, the Brisbane Broncos have terminated Kevin Walters contract effective immediately. Walters had received a contract extension earlier in the year that would have seen him coach until the end of the 2026 season until today's decision.

Source

Big Pete

Referee
So when Walters took over I think this is how a lot of fans expected things to play out, they just never expected a season like 2023. For a select group of fans, that was enough to buy Walters some time, but it always felt like the Broncos would be biding their time.

When Kevie accepted the job, it was a poisoned chalice. The club had to undergo a major overhaul and while that gave Walters the freedom to move on players that were never going to help the Broncos win a premiership, it also meant that some of the younger players like Walsh, Dearden and Coates were always going to explore their options.

It was always going to get worse before it got better but mid-way through 2022 it seemed like the Broncos were on the right track. After a massive upset against the Eels, it seemed like the Broncos were going to qualify for the Top 8 only for the club to suffer a humiliating loss to the Tigers and their season capitulated from that point with some horrific losses to the Eels and the Storm to follow.

Kevie was on thin ice, but then the club produced an amazing 2023 season where they nearly snatched a premiership after a remarkable 20 minutes of football.

However the writing was on the wall that 2023 was going to be a smash and grab. With Farnworth, Flegler, Capewell among others departing it was always going to be a huge ask for the Broncos. The most damning thing for Kevie is that when the club fell into a rut there was no plan B. Even when they managed to beat teams like the Cowboys and the Eels, it only came after they found themselves behind and their opposition were unable to pull the trigger. When the Broncos suffered their back to back season losses, it was clear that Walters was well and truly out of ideas.

Giving Walters a head coaching opportunity was one of those ideas that had been floating around since he practically retired. In fact he first coached the Broncos in 2003 when Bennett was busy coaching the Maroons to a 40-4 loss to the Bulldogs. It was one of those suggestions that was always going to come up and after the disaster that was the Bennett break-up, they really had nothing to lose. I expect time to be kind to Walters - he'll be right in the same category as a Mary McGregor, Brad Fittler etc. but I'd dare say his '23 season will be remembered more fondly.

Big Pete

Referee
It's just a question now of who replaces Walters?

As it stands, it's between Barrett and Te'o which would be disasterous. Barrett has had the opportunity at three clubs and proven beyond a shadow of a doubt he's not up to it at this level. Meanwhile Te'o is still in his infancy and had a very up and down tenure at Redcliffe prior to returning to the club.

Of the candidates there is:

Madge - His stock is high following his success with New Zealand and New South Wales. There is some trepadation following his failures at Wests and how things panned out after his premiership at Souths. Still, he's a premiership winning coach and the Broncos had yet to head in that direction.

Hannay - Assistant coach for Queensland and Cronulla. Doesn't have the best record as a caretaker coach but fans seem happy to overlook that. I think this would be Seibold 2.0 waiting to happen.

Slater - Maroons coach and was the flavour of the month until he spent too much time talking in code and not enough making logical selections.

Thorn - Another ex-Bronco, had an 'OK' stint at the Reds but didn't set the world on fire either. Bit of wishful thinking.

Walker Bros - Like Thorn, this is one of those suggestions that gets tossed up every time there's a coaching change. They've been out of coaching for years, but with Sam off contract there's extra incentive to bring them in. I think they had some great ideas in 2015 but it's ten years later and clubs didn't have the patience to invest in their methods back then, why would it change now?

Considering the circumstances, Madge shapes as the best candidate but you'd have to hold your breath to see if he makes the right adjustments to the squad.

Showtime

Juniors
The review must’ve been brutal on Walters because I thought the injury toll was enough to at least see him given the chance to make amends next year.

Ballin an option? I saw Pete Wallace’s name thrown around but I’m with you, I think Madge might be the best option.

Pete, whats the consensus on Teo after his stint with the dolphins? Promising or just another ex nrl looking for something to do post career.

MRN

Bench
The review must’ve been brutal on Walters because I thought the injury toll was enough to at least see him given the chance to make amends next year.

Ballin an option? I saw Pete Wallace’s name thrown around but I’m with you, I think Madge might be the best option.

Pete, whats the consensus on Teo after his stint with the dolphins? Promising or just another ex nrl looking for something to do post career.
So did I initially, but oh boy did that injury crisis expose how much the depth has not developed. And even gone backwards with some players.

Showtime

Juniors
So did I initially, but oh boy did that injury crisis expose how much the depth has not developed. And even gone backwards with some players.
Lack of depth was an eye opener and to look like a bottom 4 side immediately after losing Reynolds was ridiculous.

Big Pete

Referee
Pete, whats the consensus on Teo after his stint with the dolphins?
From what I can gather, he's viewed as a rookie coach who had a great support system around him. His strength is that he was able to get the Dolphins up for the big games and Norths owe Te'o a heap of gratitude for knocking off the Pride who were hands down the best team in the competition.

However the Dolphins were also the 1 in the 1-19 record of the Clydesdales.

So his systems needed work and you can't rely on big hits and individual brilliance if you want to make it.

Still, he's young in his coaching career. I would have liked to have seen another year in QCup just to refine his craft but I think he was always going to get a gig as an assitant at some point.

I actually thought Hunt showed more promise initially, but K had a bad a year at the Magpies and needs to build from it.

After conducting an end of season review, the Brisbane Broncos have terminated Kevin Walters contract effective immediately. Walters had received a contract extension earlier in the year that would have seen him coach until the end of the 2026 season until today's decision.

Source
Like many i was amazed he got the job in the first place after coaching the Catalan Dragons in Super League with the large budget they have and did when he was head coach there.

renouf

Juniors
I hope they have a good replacement lined up. With Reynolds last season next year is our last chance to win a premiership for the foreseeable future imo.

CQLeaguey

Juniors
“There is no ifs, we will make finals”.

The best leaders project confidence and strength effortlessly. The aforementioned ill considered statement sounded more like the words of a degenerate gambler as he said them. Right call from Broncos.

MRN

Bench
Well at least one Brisbane coach and team were able to get back to the big dance and right the wrong of last year I guess.

Scootsie

Juniors
Well, as of now Maguire is the only NSW Origin coach to acheive 100% series success. Why wouldn’t the Broncos want him?

Latest posts