What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

Old Timer

Coach
Sigh. I've tried telling you for the last few days in this thread....... Jason Nightingale interview earlier in the year. In summary, Zac was very upset about the "switch" and Nightingale was trying to talk to him about it.
“I sat down with him (before the season) and he said ‘I’m playing wing’ and he was half disgruntled about it.

He tried to talk to him about it as a positive and Zac was very resistant. "He didn’t listen and he doesn’t listen".

The key quote - When asked if he prefers Lomax on a wing or in the centres, Nightingale said: “I’d like him to just say ‘I’ll do what’s better for the team’ but that’s not in Zac’s make-up unfortunately."
Well Nighty’s now a coach and psychologist lol.

Your last paragraph “key” quote from Nighty especially the last sentence shows he should just stick to making coffees because what he intimates Lomax can’t do is exactly what Lomax did do and without a yelp.

It was a purely and simply a fluff article that tried to show St GI in the bad light the media always shines on us.

Lomax has shown complete and utter professionalism in his attitude and performance.

On the back of the Nighty interview some posters said Lomax should not be picked anymore and that he would dog it and spit out his dummy well did he?

Old Timer

Coach
We know you hate Flanagan but the blah blah you refer to is inaccurate..
He has played his best season ever, because Flanno moved him to the wing where he got more involved and became an aerial threat..
No more stupid flick passes and inneffective shimmies that was his go in the centres.
This got him selected for SOO. He won’t play centre at SOO, as there are many better centre options for NSW.
FFS Lomax had all those skills already.

The thing that changed was how he was utilised ie game plan.

Him getting picked for SOO was more about Madge and the media rather than Lomax himself.

As I said before I think there are better wingers than Lomax and I would have picked them ahead of him.

since77

Juniors
Well Nighty’s now a coach and psychologist lol.

Your last paragraph “key” quote from Nighty especially the last sentence shows he should just stick to making coffees because what he intimates Lomax can’t do is exactly what Lomax did do and without a yelp.

It was a purely and simply a fluff article that tried to show St GI in the bad light the media always shines on us.

Lomax has shown complete and utter professionalism in his attitude and performance.

On the back of the Nighty interview some posters said Lomax should not be picked anymore and that he would dog it and spit out his dummy well did he?
I give up. Drink the Kool Aid OT.
You've been incorrectly ranting that there's no evidence Zac not having a bad attitude about playing on the wing. You get it given to you by a premiership winning player and accomplished entrepreneur who runs several businesses (coffee was never his main business I presume you know).
I'll take Nightingale's version. You know, the guy who was actually involved in the conversation with Zac.
I've tried with you. You're just a sour old nark who doesn't have the good grace to contemplate an alternate opinion even if it's given to you in black and white.
Have resisted the ignore button with you because I usually think alternate viewpoints can be helpful and I've thought that the one thing we've had in common was we wanted our team to get better and become successful. But you're just ranting like Grandpa Simpson lately and I doubt that's going to change any time soon. I'm not bothering anymore.

Old Timer

Coach
I give up. Drink the Kool Aid OT.
You've been incorrectly ranting that there's no evidence Zac not having a bad attitude about playing on the wing. You get it given to you by a premiership winning player and accomplished entrepreneur who runs several businesses (coffee was never his main business I presume you know).
I'll take Nightingale's version. You know, the guy who was actually involved in the conversation with Zac.
I've tried with you. You're just a sour old nark who doesn't have the good grace to contemplate an alternate opinion even if it's given to you in black and white.
Have resisted the ignore button with you because I usually think alternate viewpoints can be helpful and I've thought that the one thing we've had in common was we wanted our team to get better and become successful. But you're just ranting like Grandpa Simpson lately and I doubt that's going to change any time soon. I'm not bothering anymore.
lol at you

Because I don’t agree with you it’s all on me for being this and that.

Exactly where is the evidence you suggest in your second sentence?

The word chucked and a fluff article with Nighty other than that was it in his performance that showed it or perhaps was it in the article that you conveniently redacted?

There was no poor performance, there was no dummy spit on or off the field, there was no maligning team mares or coaches or club but there was an article with his own words which you seem to willingly misconstrue.

Lomax isn’t exactly my cup of tea either but he doesn’t deserve criticism for something that didn’t happen.

BLM01

First Grade
Can't pass left or right? I'll be interested to see what kind of boxer he is with limited upper body coordination.
Stupid comeback. Nothing to do with limited upper body co-ordination required for boxing relative to passing a ball backwards to a moving forward player whilst yourself moving forward.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors

Him getting picked for SOO was more about Madge and the media rather than Lomax himself.

As I said before I think there are better wingers than Lomax and I would have picked them ahead of him.
Ok, so which other coaches have played him on the wing?

denis preston

First Grade

Getting picked for for SOO surely started with Flanagan, you agree ?

Mojo

Bench
It’s possible, even probable, that everyone’s opinions on this subject are correct. He didn’t like being moved to the wing because he prefers centre but, having been moved there, he went about his game professionally. He obviously prefers positive reinforcement to criticism and prefers BA to Flano. Was it a master stroke or just a lucky one? We don’t know, but it turned out positive. Bye Zac. Good luck.

Old Timer

Coach
Ok, so which other coaches have played him on the wing?
The answer is none but that doesn’t instantly say that S F unlocked him because he got picked for SOO

S F changed his position and our game plan and I’m not inferring that is bad I just don’t see it as the master stroke others do.

Do you think Lomax is in the top 2 wingers in the state or top 2 in the country?

For several years I have suggested Lomax has the game that would suit playing lock.

Our right winger last year scored 21 tries and Zac scored 14 yet that change occurred before a ball was kicked which is amazing IMO.

Old Timer

Coach
Getting picked for for SOO surely started with Flanagan, you agree ?
Obviously the positional switch and change in game plan was down to S F.

The selection is down to Madge.

The ability to do something Madge might have been looking for in a player already existed in Lomax.

Do I think the aerial skills etc were great to watch yes I do but we had seen glimpses of that before.

Do I think all that deserved SOO and test selection no I don’t and I think he got lucky with Madge and now Meninga.

He isn’t the first nor will he be the last player to be kissed on the dick by a coach and selected for rep footy.

BLM01

First Grade

All correct. His skills he possesses are better utilised on the wing where you can get outside compressed rushing in defensive systems and at centre too much traffic.

Took Flanno the nouse and balls coming in new to make that change contrary to where the player thought he was best suited and where he wanted to be..(Zac's words) and also telling him how it is on how he rated as a centre.
Undoubtedly, the straw that broke the camels back for him who already was on the verge of wanting out before Flanno. So I will go on and this will be my last post here

4-5 years ago I was on the band wagon advocating to all he had the potential to be our next Mark Gasnier and he is an out an out centre contrary to @gitano and a minor few bagging him.
Fast forward to 2023 I saw no improvement in centre attacking play, poor choices in both sides of the ball and other stuff, breaking the line and speed etc, which I thought would come, although at training this year he proved he was quickest out of the blocks etc. This was not down to game plans by coaches but more raw and natural abilities and what he worked harder on.

What positives he did show he has a shimmy, pretty good physically in defence and hitting the ball up, great leap and catch ability in chasing and being a target for that for us which more and more sounds more suited to wing these days, but without ther raw sprint speed like a JAC etc.
Another 2 players at the Broncos fit the same mould. Deine Mariner and Cobbo..both are and should be great wingers not centres.

Latest posts