What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kicking duels

L

legend

Does any remeber the days of the kicking duels? The last one I can remember is between Canberra and Penrith in the 1990 Grand Final where Laurie Daley kicked the ball back to Penrith from the kickoff. I must say I used to enjoy them and for old times sake and novelty value I would love to see one more.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
In 1993, Saints and Brisbane played at ANZ. It was the last match before the semis and the Brisbane needed to win in order to get into the top 4. A loss would see them being forced into sudden death matches.

From the kickoff, Brisbane charged forward but the Dragons fullback, Mick Potter put in an almighty return kick which sent the Brisbane players running back towards their own tryline.

They never seemed to recover from that and StGeorge won.
They got us in the G-Final though.

I remember going to the matches and seeing all those kicking duels. Some went on for quite a while and cries of 'woooo' were heard from the crowd as each ball soared higher.

L

legend

I loved them and it used to add some gamesmanship to the contest and would often provide a psychological advantage as you said. Ahhh, the good ol days.

Willow, can you add your site on the Legends Links section. I'm too lazy to chase it up and I need everything at my fingertips.lol

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I've already done as much Legend... I think you'll agree that you can't miss it!
emsmile.gif

imported_Kaon

Juniors
They last one i remember was in an Australia v. New Zealand Test match. Matt Ridge and the aussie fullback traded kicks for about 2 minutes. In the end Australia got a 20-30m advantage and ran with it.

Did anyone watch the Nutri-Grain cup game between Fairfield Pats and St Gregs? It was a great game which reminded me of the glory days.