What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kidwell expects to miss season

Sugar

Bench
http://http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/shock-for-rabbitohs/2007/04/09/1175970993340.html
Shock for Rabbitohs

April 9, 2007 - 1:21PM

South Sydney co-captain David Kidwell expects to miss the rest of the NRL season after a freak accident at his Sydney home.

Kidwell fell over his two-year-old daughter, Zali, at a family barbecue last night and Rabbitohs medical staff believe he has ruptured both the medial and cruciate ligaments in his left knee.

The 29-year-old will have scans tomorrow which are likely to confirm he will require season-ending surgery.

"That's definitely my season," Kidwell said. "I'm pretty shocked. Ten years of first grade and no knee problems and something like this happens at home.

"But I'm a positive person and I will come back from this bigger and better next year."

The loss of Kidwell will be a massive blow to the Bunnies who had started 2007 with three successive wins before last Friday's 34-10 loss to the Bulldogs.

Kidwell's injury will also be felt across the Tasman as the 24-Test veteran was considered a captaincy candidate for the April 20 clash with Australia in Brisbane.

AAP

rabs

Staff member
won't be missed with the depth souths have in the forwards and IMO the team will be better suited without his hit and miss plays
his off-field leadership will be invaluable for the rest of the season though

Dave Q

Coach
I dont think we saw him near to his best this year, so if he is injured, the loss is one that takes on the character of loss of opportunity I suppose. Anyone who can pole-axe Mason commands respect.

But as a keen student of Souths, I agree with rabs, in that there is plenty of replacement talent to draw from.

For example, we are seeing some very good football lately from one of my favourites, Scott Geddes. Scott sends shivers down the spine of opposing forwards and if Taylor could teach him some finer points with the ball, we have a ready and capable replacement. Scott reckons he's ready to step up and I agree. Scott is being used at intercahnge at the moment, so that will mean we will have to draw from the bears for an interchange player.

And as unfortunate as it is to see Dave out, there is a happy side effect that one or maybe two of the bears will be promoted and they have been playing some really good footy lately (and have a number of first graders in their side anyway).

Big Joe may get his chance earlier than anticipated and he will relish getting back into the limelight where a player of his obvious calibre belongs.

And as a bears general player, to have the direct opportunity to play NRL first grade is fantastic. They will feel sad for Dave but each one of them will know that there is a spare bed at the inn. They will all lift.

We said this year that we would have a very strong link with the bears on all fronts and now it will pay off as our staff are well acquainted with all of the bears players etc. They are our little brothers. Since joining us, we have always been there for the bears and now they are here for us. A deep and familial bond is growing that will strengthen us all.

Now, Im glad that Dave's little one is Ok, thats the important thing in all this. If Dave had fallen on her, she could have been out for a while or worse. Some perspective is required here.

Depending upon the injury, we may see Dave back for the finals series.

Some thought that when we signed Dave he was always going to be a substitute and then soon after he signed, he played like Dally M for the rest of 06.

So a break is perhaps a good thing in the scheme of things. I actually thought that after we win next weekend, Taylor would be spelling a few of our elite players on a more longer term basis. Thats the selection rage these days.

Everythings Ok, the re-emergence continues unabated.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I think you underestimate his contribution to the sides.

If he isn't playing, he isn't training. Which means he isn't out with the rest of the boys helping them to better themselves for next week.

I think you'll miss this the most; His winning attitude, culture of success and leadership through trainig and on-field actions.

Whilst I'm always the first person to call a player if they're having a shocker, I've always seen visible results from Kidwell, and think he's an asset to your club. Sucks to see him bow out of 2007 like this.

runatme

Bench
that really is a massive blow for souths i really enjoy watching kidwell play hopefully he can come back before the end of the season best wishes for a speedy recovery

rabs said:
won't be missed with the depth souths have in the forwards and IMO the team will be better suited without his hit and miss plays
his off-field leadership will be invaluable for the rest of the season though

I disagree

Its the little things Souths will miss behind the scenes. ANy body can hit it up and tackle but only few have the Mana and respect that Kidwell has. Even at training and meetings he will be missed

NGR

Juniors
what?! huge loss!

we have nulla to replace him but he doesnt bring the same attitude to the game...

Sugar

Bench
http://www.souths.com.au/fanzone/viewnewsarticle.asp?ArticleID=1851
David Kidwell Injured

Rabbitohs captain David Kidwell has suffered a knee ligament injury at home last night.

Kidwell was playing with his children when he twisted into an awkward position, hurting the ligaments in his left knee.

Kidwell was examined by Club doctor Andrew McDonald and Director of Athletic Performance Errol Alcott today, with Kidwell due to have an MRI scan on the injured knee tomorrow.

The worst case scenario is that Kidwell could miss the remainder of the 2007 season and would require a complete knee reconstruction. The extent of the damage to the knee will not be known until the results of the scans become available, which are expected by Tuesday evening.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Does Galuvao have a chance of being brought back into the 17 at all???? I understand he playing for Norths (Souths feeder) in PL.

MattJ

Juniors
Very dissapointing for souths, but even more dissapointing for Dave himself, his aspirations of kiwi captaincy that were deserved are now vanquished.
One theory doing the rounds is that Widders will be promoted to starting side and Joe G to the bench. I think the side will suffer a little in confidence without Kidwell on the field, he was a leader at training and on the field in terms of attitude and work ethic.

taffy

Juniors
huge loss, especially in there defencive line.
kidwell does a lot in defence, he helps out joey alot and can lift the team with a big shot.

Dave Q

Coach
mean_maori_mean said:
Does Galuvao have a chance of being brought back into the 17 at all???? I understand he playing for Norths (Souths feeder) in PL.

Hes on the "bench of death" this week.

When Big Joe is firing, without hesitation, I reckon he's better than Dave.

Dave Q

Coach
gunnamatta bay said:
Terrible blow for Souths.

Has the club accepted his version of what happened?

Theres a report to come in from another toddler witness.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Dave Q said:
Theres a report to come in from another toddler witness.

Shane Richardson is still ceo isn't he Dave? I know he likes to make sure he isn't being bull-sh*tted to. Not that I have heard any whispers but the guy is being paid a lot of money for three games.

Dave Q

Coach
gunnamatta bay said:
Shane Richardson is still ceo isn't he Dave? I know he likes to make sure he isn't being bull-sh*tted to. Not that I have heard any whispers but the guy is being paid a lot of money for three games.

Yes, he is being paid a motza.

But you have to understand that Joe represents one of the first elite players to join Souths since readmission, and at the time, under previous club government, we were willing ( some say obliged) to pay overs.

There arent many Craig Stapletons out there I suppose.

I guess we were hoping for the domino effect and Joe was close to his peak, much beloved and respected at one of the NRL's then-glamour clubs, the Panthers.

Of course, it took a lot more than Joe to bring players to the club, but he is an attractive soul to have in the club.

But just on last year, it was apparent, reasonably early on, that the powers that be were building for this year and next year. I was told that by a Penrith official when I saw the lads at CUA on mothers day. Due to his talent, Big Joe was always going to part of that resurgence.

And in a chat with Bomber McRae he told me last year that due to a heavy injury toll, he was obliged to put players in first grade who were pretty young and inexperienced. That more than anything, gave us the spoon.

So Big Joe cant be accused of "over-servicing" but its not the case that he is less than wholly satisfactory as a player.

This year we would like to see him regain his devastating 2003 form.

At his peak, it is my view that he is a better all round player than Kidwell, but he's not been as consistent, and consistency is important.

Fate has intervened and Joe has been tasked onto the bench which should suit his style of play.

Lets see what happens

Latest posts