What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwi squad named

Martli

Coach
Hmmm, I was thinking, and I actually reckon they should have put Earl Va'a in the training squad as an option for the halves that would have been pretty cool.

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
Hmmm, I was thinking, and I actually reckon they should have put Earl Va'a in the training squad as an option for the halves that would have been pretty cool.
You know what thats actually not a bad idea :clap:
Matthew Ridge or Tasesa Lavea even(he still holds the record for most points scored in a game by a kiwi and Auckland are out of the NPC finals)

thuganomics

Coach
I just cant gtet over that Halevs combination!
Its gotta be one of the worst in the histroy of International football.

Ray

Juniors
Well, it's likely to be Leuluai and Tony anyway, with Webb moving up to play standoff on attack. We just have to use our forwards as our advantage. Vinnie Anderson is a very capable defender, at least that is one of the good traits he will bring to the five-eighth spot.

ali

Bench
Gotta pick Hape for the Tri series. He was brilliant for Bradford against Leeds last weekend. He would be the first centre picked in my NZ team.

The Professor

Juniors
I can't believe all the Meli bashing.

He was one of a very few shining lights in this years Warriors team. Although his handling errors were shocking at times, Brent Webbs were just as bad, he's not even Kiwi and he's been chosen, on that basis Meli is a walk in!

My starting team would have been...

1. Vaeleki
2. Vainikolo
3. Sonny Bill
4. Toopi / Vagana
5. Meli / Utai
6. Tony
7. Leuluai
8. Rauhihi
9. Paul
10. J Cayless
11. Puletua
12. Wiki
13. Kidwell

I see our centres as a weakness compared to the aussies, but with Sonny Bill being one of thee quicker big men in the game I'd play him in the centres, we have forwards coming from our backsides.

Nexy year when we have Benji at 6 and Stacey at 7 (after Anderson is sacked, hopefully, and we see the end of his two boys making the kiwi side until the peform better) the team will be a real force.

Someone said we want Karmichael?

I say let him play for the aussies. The kiwi juniours are really starting to come through and they they'll provide good competition for Australia in the next few years.

Ray

Juniors
The thing is Vaeliki is injured... :roll:

Meli averaged 2.6 errors in his last 5 games, compared to Webb's 1.5.

Martli

Coach
I still don't know the logic behind putting Robbie Paul in at hooker when it means having to make sacrifices in the halves...

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
see our centres as a weakness compared to the aussies, but with Sonny Bill being one of thee quicker big men in the game I'd play him in the centres, we have forwards coming from our backsides.

Nexy year when we have Benji at 6 and Stacey at 7 (after Anderson is sacked, hopefully, and we see the end of his two boys making the kiwi side until the peform better) the team will be a real force.

How can you say we have weakness in the centres! :roll: We have a good depth in the centres Vagana, Whatuira, Lolesi and Hape (Toopis having a shocker) Australia arent that superior in the centres I would say a little advantage if that! And as for Stacey I dont think he'll be back!

The Professor

Juniors
Doogie, it's my opinion that Tonga and Tate are far superior to Whatawira, Vagana can be great at times but isn't nearly as consistent as the two aussies.

Sonny Bill could play centre and he's the boom kid at the moment, putting him ahead of Whatawira in my eyes would improve the team.

Fair enough about Vaeleki, wasn't sure what happened with him.

Ray

Juniors
Professor,

Are you saying that Hape is a "weakness"? He's been in oustanding form.

The Professor

Juniors
No, Hape is playing great in the super league Ray, but measuring super league to NRL doesn't normally come up good.

My point for Sonny Bill is that he can play centre, and we have numerous forwards who could play great at lock.

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
No, Hape is playing great in the super league Ray, but measuring super league to NRL doesn't normally come up good.
I definately agree with you there professor ESL cant really be compared to NRL. I cant see The Volcanoe being the leading try scorer if he was playing in the NRL and youve got guys like Marcus Bai and David Solomona in their dream team. Hape maybe a good player and he may warrant a place in the team but i wouldnt go as far as putting him in the starting line up unless he can play in the halves haha

The Professor

Juniors
Doogie, you've mentioned all ex NRL players there.

NRL players go overseas for the money and become instant stars, especially if they move over while in their prime as Leslie did.

Very few would measure up to the best in the NRL IMO