What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwi's in the Kangaroo's

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
mean_maori_mean said:
dont throw webster name in there - his dads maori that is instance connection to NZ. Also read an article in a report about maori living in Oz. Talked about webster and how his dad has raised him always to support the all blacks, kiwis and that he was always to strive to do the same etc. His dad is also the one who wrote to the selectors/coaches (in his debut season) to say he was a kiwi.

Roberts - yep suspect to say the least. still waiting to hear how he is even eligible for the team - never heard if one parent was actually born in NZ or she was simply a resident in otara - we all know that it is often used purely as a stopoff destination.

And krisnan Inu - your kidding right b'coz he is friends with hayne and folau that question his kiwi-ness.

Watching the game was quite funny - Westfield boys were are the game cheering out aussie aussie oi oi oi etc. But looking at them there were only 3 out of 30 or so who were european australians.
They sung the aussie anthem then a large majority of the same guys then sung the kiwi anthem.lol

Dont blame those Pacific Islanders who are eligible for both NZ and Aussie selecting NZ - they see a team full of 'brown boys' who generally play a more similar type of football and have a team culture much like the mixture of those which are in their cultural makeup.

Half of the junior kiwi team would have made the starting lineup for aussie had they put their name forward.

A Few of junior kangaroo team have already expressed their desire to play for kiwis.

Webster has lived his entire life in Australia. That makes him more Australian than Kiwi.

Inu has lived most of his life in Australia, I believe.

I'm not saying they're not "connected" to New Zealand, but I'll bet they both feel Australian to an extent as well.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The worse one overall is Tonie Carroll,

I mean how the hell did they allow a bloke that played for New Zealand, and then 4 years later he turns out for Australia. I mean didnt he make a decision from day 1. Its bloody ridiculous

I know there are other players who turned out for countries like Samoa, Ireland, Tonga, Lebanon, then played for Australia, but New Zealand??

Theyve got to change the rules to one country only.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
The last WC really did open a can of worms.

If you imlpement the rule that you can only play for one nation ever, then guys lie Ricketson and Campion would never have played for Ireland right?

But that means they would have fielded a considerably weaker side in the last world cup, and the last world cup was an attempt to fast track development.

It lost us a lot of international money and has made us a source of ridicule for the insecure rugby code, but it did give us Lebanon, and has probably kept Russia in the game despite them receiving very little outside help.

But that is what we face... if we implement the one nation ever rule, a lot of young and potentially test quality players will never boost weaker nations.

I for one am happy with that scenario.. I think weaker nations just all need to play each other to assist themselves and develop in isolation to the big 3.

hutch

First Grade
this argument comes up every year, i didnt think it would this year though as hunt isnt even playing. hunt has every right to play for australia, his family immigrated here when he was a kid, he took up rugby league, moved through the ranks and gone onto play for the kangaroos. he is an australian. im not saying he isnt also a kiwi/cook islander/samoan, but he is an australian. you dont have to be born here, or of a european background to be classed as an aussie. if you were raised here, love the country, and want to play for the kangaroos, why cant people accept it. its not as if he has ever played rugby league in nz, or was poached from nz as a junior.
same with the caylesses, pritchard, webster etc. they have every right to play for nz, although you would hate to see a kiwi team full of aussie raised kiwis. they choose to represent their families culture, hunt chooses to represent his new culture.

andrew057

First Grade
nqboy said:
Having said that, I'm delighted that GI joe and Izzy have chosen to play for Qld in Origin so I'm being a bit hypocritical there. The only difference I would argue is that Joe, for e.g., grew up supporting and wanting to play for Qld. I don't understand it myself but I have a T.I. mate, born and raised in FNQ, who is a mad Raider and Blue, so I know it is possible.

Being a Qlder is a feeling, you know because your maroon heart beats and you can't fake it (Polla-Mounter, I'm looking at you!). If cutie had expressed that sort of emotion about being a Qlder or Australian, I would warmly endorse him but, if he has, I haven't seen it. IIRC, it was more about the Broncos influence and his desire to compete at the highest level, Origin, that triggered his decision.

Seriously what is this bullsh*t? Its ok for Inglis because he "wanted" to play for QLD his whole life? Are you trying to say Hunt doesnt express emotion for QLD? You must be f**kin blind, Hunt is the definition of a emotionally positive player. It was one the reason he is so good.

nqboy

First Grade
andrew057 said:
Seriously what is this bullsh*t? Its ok for Inglis because he "wanted" to play for QLD his whole life? Are you trying to say Hunt doesnt express emotion for QLD? You must be f**kin blind, Hunt is the definition of a emotionally positive player. It was one the reason he is so good.
No, merely that Hunt's desire to play for Qld seemd to be more about playing at the pinnacle of RL, Origin, with his Broncos mates. If Origin was a Tri-series including NZ, I wonder who he would have wanted to play for.

Abz

Juniors
State of Origin was made for the rivalry between QLD and NSW, ONLY. Not New Zealanders or Victorians or English, non of them. Only the Maroons and the blues. SOO is the pinnacle of AUSTRALIAN Rugby League. I don't want Kiwis like cutie and Thorn in it. However, what can we do to let them play origin? I was thinking, the poms have County of Origin (equivalent to our SOO) so why not let the New Zealanders make their own SOO? Northern Isle vs Southern Isle? Or course Northern Isle vs Southern Isle wouldn't be the name of the competition, it should be in compliance with their proper names, but something equivalent to that is what w can use.

Besides having it, it should be staged in New Zealand, not as a warm-up to the SOO main event. Also, they should use the major Stadium or both Isles as home ground for each Isle.

NZ want to be apart of SOO? Heck, give them their own one, that'll make them even more happy. Imagine how good it will be for NZ Rugby League, not to mention International RL.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Abz said:
State of Origin was made for the rivalry between QLD and NSW, ONLY. Not New Zealanders or Victorians or English, non of them. Only the Maroons and the blues. SOO is the pinnacle of AUSTRALIAN Rugby League. I don't want Kiwis like cutie and Thorn in it. However, what can we do to let them play origin? I was thinking, the poms have County of Origin (equivalent to our SOO) so why not let the New Zealanders make their own SOO? Northern Isle vs Southern Isle? Or course Northern Isle vs Southern Isle wouldn't be the name of the competition, it should be in compliance with their proper names, but something equivalent to that is what w can use.

Besides having it, it should be staged in New Zealand, not as a warm-up to the SOO main event. Also, they should use the major Stadium or both Isles as home ground for each Isle.

NZ want to be apart of SOO? Heck, give them their own one, that'll make them even more happy. Imagine how good it will be for NZ Rugby League, not to mention International RL.

They are supposedly next year