What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis to launch North V South Island Origin - Kiwi Roots!

The Daddy

Juniors
http://www.rugbyleaguenz.com/index.php?Page_ID=2&News_ID=1631

NZRL LAUNCHES ‘KIWI ROOTS’ IN MAJOR OVERHAUL OF NATIONAL COMPETITIONS

Auckland, New Zealand, July 13, 2007 – ‘Kiwi Roots’ was today launched as the showpiece of the biggest competitions overhaul in New Zealand rugby league history.

Designed as New Zealand’s equivalent of State of Origin football, it will be a one-off north v south-styled annual battle using the Bombay Hills as the geographic divide.

Set to be staged for the first time on October 4 next year – the eve of the National Rugby League’s grand final – the concept has already won backing from several NRL clubs approached so far.

“This is enormously exciting for rugby league in this country,” said New Zealand Rugby League chairman Andrew Chalmers.

“The ‘Kiwi Roots’ innovation will give us an ingredient that has been missing at the top end of the game.”

National director of football Graham Lowe said ‘Kiwi Roots’ would involve players from the NRL, the English Super League and those based in New Zealand.

“The NRL clubs I have spoken to all support the idea of their New Zealand-eligible players being involved in our origin match,” he said.

kooriguy

Juniors
sounds good i hope it is a success, maybe the nrl will run with it, if thats a good thing or not i do not know...

Presumably all Kiwis in the NRL excluding those who were playing in the grand final would be available for selection. Would also potentially be a genuine selection trial for post-season test series.

girvie

Staff member
So i guess Australian born players would represent what part of NZ their parents were from.

And guys who qualify through being a resident like Brent Webb would have to be North, wouldn't they?

Corbin

Juniors
girvie said:
So i guess Australian born players would represent what part of NZ their parents were from.

And guys who qualify through being a resident like Brent Webb would have to be North, wouldn't they?

surely you would think Webb would be South considering that the Auckland team will be a touch stronger.

but he did reside in Auckland so...

It will be fantastic for NZRL, just needs to be marketed properly and for the clubs and most important the players to back it.

Dave Q

Coach
I was supportive until Souths signed half of the NZ side.

Just kidding.

It would be a top match.

"Roots" sounds a bit passe, what about using the Maorie translation of the word to give it that cool islander edge. I'll try to find it and post it here.

SpartanSlayer

Juniors
How about using talent from the BC or the NCC or whatever the NZRL is gonna call it next year. as i said in the other thread there is nothing here at the moment to keep our players here and when they go to aussie it then becomes trougher for them to make it in the NRL. as good as the NRL is i dont see why we couldnt have a comp here that is equally as good for breeding young pplayers. nothing like having a strong Kiwis team that actually live in NZ, that would be amazing.

Latest posts