What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis win a huge boost to Australian domestic game

pcpp

Juniors
I reckon New Zealand's stunning win over the Kangaroos is a huge result for the Australian game domestically. Why?

With a fixed international schedule culminating in the next World Cup in 2013, Australia's top players - the majority which have not won a World Cup - now have something to play for, and to look forward to.

Quite a few players have left the game, citing reasons such as "we've done everything there is in the game". The World Cup wouldn't of even been in the back of their minds. As of today, i'm sure the World Cup will have a significant bearing when players make such a decision. Players like Greg Inglis - sure, they've won a premiership, won three Origins in a row and won a Tri-Nations. But not a World Cup.

The Kiwis victory today will probably stem a flow of Australian (and probably New Zealand) players to rugby union and to the lesser extent the Super League and as a result, this will be a significant boost to the Australian game for years to come in what has been a terrible centenary year for RL in Australia. Ironic? Without a doubt.

Your Thoughts?

Last edited:

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Why should we have to try to help prop up another countries league? It's up to them to improve.

Wait, what?

I reckon New Zealand's stunning win over the Kangaroos is a huge result for the Australian game domestically. Why?

With a fixed international schedule culminating in the next World Cup in 2013, Australia's top players - the majority which have not won a World Cup - now have something to play for, and to look forward to.

Quite a few players have left the game, citing reasons such as "we've done everything there is in the game". The World Cup wouldn't of even been in the back of their minds. As of today, i'm sure the World Cup will have a significant bearing when players make such a decision. Players like Greg Inglis - sure, they've won a premiership, won three Origins in a row and won a Tri-Nations. But not a World Cup.

The Kiwis victory today will probably stem a flow of Australian (and probably New Zealand) players to rugby union and to the lesser extent the Super League and as a result, this will be a significant boost to the Australian game for years to come in what has been a terrible centenary year for RL in Australia. Ironic? Without a doubt.

Your Thoughts?
I hope you are right, but 5 years to the next world cup is a long time away and players only have a short time to make their money that sets them up for the rest of their lives.

Rovelli

Bench
It could be - but their is also the viewpoint that: "5 years is too long for me to wait" or "I have already conquered Everest"

Maybe we see a few leave for 2010-2011 and come back for 2012-2013?

thommo4pm

Coach

Your Thoughts?

I agree and was thinking that last night during the closing minutes of the game.