What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knee operation puts Big Les out

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
“It’s a club issue at Bradford and the fact is we lost him for too many weeks last year because he didn’t have the right procedures in the off season,” said Noble.

That's funny, because I seem to recall Noble pulling him out of the tournament last year aswell.

Noble's full of it, he's sh*t scared of Vainikolo.

Corbin

Juniors
Yet again, the NZRL gets treated like f**king bullsh*t!

now i would be ok if the procedure was taken and the kiwi doctors looked at him and said ok yes he does need sergury, but FFS thats disgraceful that bradford can tell them Vainikolo was named in the GB part leg of the tour last tuesday!

Noble must of dead set been sh*tting himself so he gets him cut, im so bloody sick of this happening Australia and GB didnt have this happen so why should NZ have to cop this sh*t!

Iafeta

Referee
ParraDude_Jay said:
That's funny, because I seem to recall Noble pulling him out of the tournament last year aswell.

Noble's full of it, he's sh*t scared of Vainikolo.

Exactly. Lesley Vainakolo WAS pulled from the Kiwis 2004 Tri Nations squad for knee surgery.

Noble is a cat. To even try and pretend he's anything but in his reaction to the media is BS.

Bullseye

Juniors
The only BS is the one sided stuff being posted on here. The NZRL are damn lucky to even have Hape in the Kiwi side never mind Vainikolo.

The complete mis-diagnosis of Hape's cruciate ligament injury by the NZRL medical team last year cost him two thirds of the season. I daresay the Bulls are pretty entitled to doubt the competence of the NZRL medical team after that c0ck up.

The NZRL should get their own house in order before having a go at others.

bartman

Immortal
Looks like we need a binding international approach to medical standards and advice then, as well as to relations between clubs and availability for national teams? Someone or some official body needs to sit our big three countries down and sort all this stuff out for the future. Scheduling as well. It's effecting the game in all three countries, and we have to lead the way ahead of any further growth of the international game.

Iafeta

Referee
Bullseye said:
The only BS is the one sided stuff being posted on here. The NZRL are damn lucky to even have Hape in the Kiwi side never mind Vainikolo.

The complete mis-diagnosis of Hape's cruciate ligament injury by the NZRL medical team last year cost him two thirds of the season. I daresay the Bulls are pretty entitled to doubt the competence of the NZRL medical team after that c0ck up.

The NZRL should get their own house in order before having a go at others.

The Kiwis have said time and time again, we will allow an independent physician to see the players.

We had someone affiliated with the Cronulla Sharks NRL club willing to give his diagnosis on suspect situations.

The most pressing issues are:-

• Why Bradford will not allow Lesley Vainakolo to be assessed by the NZRL physician or any other independent physician
  • Why Ali Lauitiiti was the man who had to break it to the NZRL, not even a representative from Bradford
  • Why Lesley's knees go kabang same time every year but seem fine for rounds 1-47 of the ESL
  • Why Brian Noble feels victimised and scrutinised in the way he has come out in the media - he sounds a very guilty bloke to be honest, very defensive, very emotional and irrational

Bullseye

Juniors
Iafeta said:
The Kiwis have said time and time again, we will allow an independent physician to see the players.

We had someone affiliated with the Cronulla Sharks NRL club willing to give his diagnosis on suspect situations.

The most pressing issues are:-

• Why Bradford will not allow Lesley Vainakolo to be assessed by the NZRL physician or any other independent physician
  • Why Ali Lauitiiti was the man who had to break it to the NZRL, not even a representative from Bradford
  • Why Lesley's knees go kabang same time every year but seem fine for rounds 1-47 of the ESL
  • Why Brian Noble feels victimised and scrutinised in the way he has come out in the media - he sounds a very guilty bloke to be honest, very defensive, very emotional and irrational

I've already said why Bradford don't want Vainikolo to be seen by a NZRL physician. As for an independent physician I guess Bradford are being protective of their no 1 asset. Maybe if the NZRL hadn't been so cavalier with Shontayne Hape last year they may have got more cooperation?

Obviously Vainikolo's unavailability should have been announced by a Bradford representative.

Vainikolo has been a long way from "fine" in rounds 1-47 of ESL! It took him until July to regain anything like the form he had in 2004 thanks to him having no pre season due to his 2004 knee operation.

I'd say the opposite about Noble to be honest. But we all have our own interpretations.

Obviously this situation isn't ideal and I hope it doesn't happen again. Perhaps it's time the RLIB appointed some impartial physicians to assess players who are outside the control of the participating nations?

AuckMel

Bench
Bullseye said:
Obviously this situation isn't ideal and I hope it doesn't happen again. Perhaps it's time the RLIB appointed some impartial physicians to assess players who are outside the control of the participating nations?

Would the English and Australian leagues, who are the International board anyway, ever agree to this?

Clearly the answer is, no.

St.John

Juniors
It's f**king bollocks, that's what it is.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY WE MUST CONTINUE TO PUSH THE INTERNATIONAL GAME. One the money is really starting to build, and the prestige and RFL hand outs to clubs is there, we'll have far less of this sh*t from jumped-up domestic CEOs in every country.

100% International League, and proud of it. When that red, white and blue ( with a hint of green! ) shirt goes on, any pom or bogtrotter wearing it represents me, and I know I'm not alone in feeling this way. The best should be available to represent their nations.

Go Lions!

supersaint said:
I wouldn't say that, from what i've seen that Vatuevi looks nowt special and vastly over rated.

Well, not even Kiwi winger has the luxury of playing in a sub standard club competition against players that dont know what they are doing.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
supersaint said:
I wouldn't say that, from what i've seen that Vatuevi looks nowt special and vastly over rated.

Actually he's very similar to Vainikolo in a lot of ways (size etc), although I'd trust Vatuvei more on defence.

Iafeta

Referee
Bullseye said:
I've already said why Bradford don't want Vainikolo to be seen by a NZRL physician. As for an independent physician I guess Bradford are being protective of their no 1 asset. Maybe if the NZRL hadn't been so cavalier with Shontayne Hape last year they may have got more cooperation?

Sorry, you still didn't give a valid answer to why Bradford went against accepted protocol and would not even allow an independent physician to examine him.

Shontayne Hape is unfortunately extremely injury prone. You could have the lads chase marbles and he's likely to suffer a season ending injury.

Obviously Vainikolo's unavailability should have been announced by a Bradford representative.

Incorrect, Ali Lauitiiti is a Leeds Rhinos and Kiwis representative. Try again.

Vainikolo has been a long way from "fine" in rounds 1-47 of ESL! It took him until July to regain anything like the form he had in 2004 thanks to him having no pre season due to his 2004 knee operation.

Yeah, 97 tries per year terribly out of physical fitness.

I'd say the opposite about Noble to be honest. But we all have our own interpretations.

It'll happen again. 2007, 2008, 2009 Vainakolo will be ruled, same story, knee injury, needs an operation - then Noble will get defensive and claim he's being ridiculed by the media.

Petty.

Bullseye

Juniors
Iafeta said:
Sorry, you still didn't give a valid answer to why Bradford went against accepted protocol and would not even allow an independent physician to examine him.

Shontayne Hape is unfortunately extremely injury prone. You could have the lads chase marbles and he's likely to suffer a season ending injury.

Incorrect, Ali Lauitiiti is a Leeds Rhinos and Kiwis representative. Try again.

Yeah, 97 tries per year terribly out of physical fitness.

It'll happen again. 2007, 2008, 2009 Vainakolo will be ruled, same story, knee injury, needs an operation - then Noble will get defensive and claim he's being ridiculed by the media.

Petty.

Woh there mate! Calm down, I'm not Brian Noble.

Valid reason or not, Bradford are obviously p****d off with the NZRL over last year's handling of Hape. As a result they're getting their own back. Petty it certainly is but I can't blame them for being upset as they didn't receive even as much as an apology for the medical blunder the NZRL made over Hape.

Hape isn't that injury prone. He's suffered two injuries in three years at the Bulls. One was a broken arm that healed in weeks, the other was the mis-diagnosed knee ligament injury he suffered playing for NZ. I'm confused with what you're saying though. Does Hape's injury record mean the NZRL don't have to treat him properly?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say as regards Lauitiiti. I said that Bradford should have got in touch over Vainikolo, NOT Lauitiiti, who I'm well aware plays for Leeds. Try reading what I put next time instead of jumping down my throat.

I can't remember when Lesley scored 97 tries in a season. If so I'll congratulate him on beating Albert Rosenfeld's record!

It probably will happen again which is a shame as I'd like to see the Kiwis field a full strength team. I think all sides on the argument need to acknowledge they have ground to give before we can move forward.

AuckMel

Bench
The NZRL have offered to let an independent doctor assess injuries, but so far the NRL and SL clubs have declined the invitation.

Latest posts