What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights can make it 2 in a row without Johns? *SPOILERS*

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Well, I can safely say that both Newcastle and the Bulldogs will have byes next week if Pemriff show up (or fail to) like they did tonight. Newcastle had their measure all over the park. Hopefully Grimaldi will be back to bolster the pack... but geez, isn't this Mullen kid impressive!!! f**k me, Kidley's lost his spot.

bluesbreaker

Bench
2 decent stoushs in the other games, was hoping Buderus was up for giving Priddis a pounding. Oh well. Always next year :(.

Stranger

Coach
Chicken_Hunter said:
3 kickers all up tonight.. Missed 4 attempts at goal.. Could have been 48-4 if johns was there

4 actually. Middley took the shot for the last try.

Based on the vicotry to the knights yesterday, and good on them
that basically means canterbury will play the loser of brisbane and parra first week of the finals, or possibly the dragons depending on how they go next week

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
2 from 2 without Johns? Maybe they shouldnt pick the loud mouth again this season, may come out of it with a premiership

mxlegend99

Referee
InLuVaNdLuVinIt said:
2 from 2 without Johns? Maybe they shouldnt pick the loud mouth again this season, may come out of it with a premiership
Uhhh yeah. They beat Cowboys and Panthers. Wouldn't go getting too confident in them without Joey. Both were missing their half-backs also. And in terrible form.

This will help Knights though. The amount of confidence these guys must have now can only be increased when Joey comes back.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
mxlegend99 said:
Uhhh yeah. They beat Cowboys and Panthers. Wouldn't go getting too confident in them without Joey. Both were missing their half-backs also. And in terrible form.

This will help Knights though. The amount of confidence these guys must have now can only be increased when Joey comes back.
f**k me, what will it take for ppl to actually swallow some pride and say the Knights can win without Joey. Its all we seem to be hearing for the past two weeks, "The Cowboys aren't a team because they were playing sh*t" and "The Panthers aren't a team because Gower wasn't playing". You can only beat whoever is put in front of you.

Match Report Courtesy of NRL.com

Departing Newcastle centre Matt Gidley's two first-half tries helped end Penrith's hopes of making the NRL finals, with the Knights posting a crushing 40-4 victory at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

St Helens-bound Gidley, playing his 219th first-grade and possibly his last home game for the Knights, scored signature four-pointers in the 14th and 27th minutes as Newcastle put Penrith out of business for 2006 and confirmed the eight contenders for the NRL premiership.

The Knights scored eight tries to one and posted back-to-back wins without suspended skipper Andrew Johns for the first time in more than two years.

It was always going to be an emotional night for Newcastle, who were also farewelling coach Michael Hagan wingers Brian Carney (Golf Coast) and Anthony Quinn (Melbourne), injured prop Craig Smith (retiring) and utility Todd Lowrie (Parramatta).

Gidley led the side out on to the field, accompanied by his young daughter, through a guard of honour of ex-Knights players to be cheered wildly by the 23,655-strong crowd.

Newcastle, which has the bye next week, now has a shot at the top four which ironically would mean a home-ground encore from Hagan, Gidley and co.

After Penrith had opened the scoring in the fifth minute through a Michael Gordon try, Gidley got his side on the board when, from 10m out, he beat two defenders and dragged a third Panthers player over the line.

He got his side's second try with an angled 10m run after a clever inside ball from brother Kurt soon after an error from Penrith lock Trent Waterhouse inside his own 30m zone.

With Newcastle captain Danny Buderus held up in the 33rd minute, the momentum had swung the way of the home side.

Fullback David Seage scored the Knights third in the 34th minute when he burst on to a clever short pass from second rower Clint Newton before big prop Luke Davico touched down after a barnstorming effort in the last minute of the half, Daniel Abraham's conversion taking the score to 22-4 at the break.

Penrith needed to score first after the break but the Knights had stretched the lead to 30-4 with two tries by the 62nd minute, both involving Johns' 19-year-old understudy Jarrod Mullen.

His bomb led to an Anthony Quinn touch-down in the 51st minute before he burst on to a pass from the winger in the 62nd to sprint 45m to the line.

Prop Josh Perry and centre George Carmont scored late tries in the 75th and 79th minutes.

The Knights last won back-to-back matches without their skipper in rounds 21 and 22 during the 2004 season.

Penrith needed to win the match to sit two points outside the eight and keep its mathematical finals chance alive.

Mr Saab

Referee
Jobdog said:
f**k me, what will it take for ppl to actually swallow some pride and say the Knights can win without Joey. Its all we seem to be hearing for the past two weeks, "The Cowboys aren't a team because they were playing sh*t" and "The Panthers aren't a team because Gower wasn't playing". You can only beat whoever is put in front of you.

Thats right, and the knights have beaten 2 pathetic teams.
Full credit though, you can only beat what is in front of you.
Same with the Broncos who beat an injury hit and dis interested Dogs team last week, and a propless Eels today.
You can either over analyise it (which other supporters will do) or draw alot of confidence out of it seeing as though you were minus A Johns.

Knightmare

Coach
The Broncos have played well since the Storm game, but I'm yet to be convinced they are the real deal- like you say, the Bulldogs and Eels were depleted sides, however it should make for interesting viewing in about a fortnight. Newcastle have played depleted Cowboys and Panthers teams, but on last night's performance I am very much looking forward to seeing Newcastle play rested and with Joey back.

strewth_mate

Bench
Meh, Newcastle have played well as a team the last couple of matches regardless of the weakened opposition, which they have struggled to do for a while even with Johns, so that's at least something to take away from it.

This isn't a case of "Newcastle wins without Johns, therefore Newcastle + Johns = Premiership" because that's stupid. For mine it's a case of the team getting their act together in a situation where they normally would have folded, which appears good for their attitude, and that's all I'll read into it because we're now faced with a bye.

Realistically, if things played out like they look on paper then every team would be winning the trophy this year except the Sharks.

Jono078

Referee
Only thing I fear from this win is if the players start thinking..

'Well Johns is back, we can relax a little now..'

I hope they dont do that and try even harder when he returns.