What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights hit by injury after Warriors raid

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Knights hit by injury after Warriors raid

By Brett Keeble

THE Knights will need a new five-eighth and possibly a new halfback for Sunday's blockbuster against Brisbane at EnergyAustralia Stadium after Jarrod Mullen and Scott Dureau were injured in yesterday's 26-20 loss to the Warriors at Mt Smart Stadium.

But hooker and skipper Danny Buderus was confident of backing up against the Broncos despite suffering a corked thigh on his first run and hobbling around for most of the game.

Mullen tore his right calf muscle midway through the second half.

By full-time he was in the dressing-room with his lower leg strapped and encased in a protective CAM Boot.

Knights medical officer Dr Peter McGeoch said that Mullen would probably have an ultrasound when the Knights returned to Newcastle today but the early prognosis for the former NSW playmaker was up to three weeks on the sidelines.

Dureau will have X-rays to determine whether he fractured his ribs making a desperate but futile dive in an attempt to stop Patrick Ah Van's game-breaking try from Dureau's cross-field bomb in the 67th minute.

Mullen was treated on the field several times and tried to continue, even launching a bomb to test Warriors winger Manu Vatuvei, but eventually succumbed and limped from the field in the 58th minute.

"It just went on me. I was trying to get back onside and take off and just felt a snap in my calf, so I've torn my calf," said Mullen, who was sure the injury was not related to cramping problems he has had in the past.

"I just asked Moose [physiotherapist Martin Boyd] if I can play next week, and he said no way in the world, so I don't know when I'll be back. I tore my calf in the Brisbane game after Origin last year, but I can't remember if it was the same one.

"I've been doing extra stretching to prevent the cramps, and they didn't cramp last week, and they didn't cramp this week. It's just one of those freak things."

After Buderus was denied a try lunging at the line in the 66th minute, Dureau kicked to the left corner, but Ah Van outleapt the Newcastle chasers and ran almost 100 metres to score and stretch the Warriors' lead to 26-16.

Dureau gave chase and dived at Ah Van's legs as the 20-year-old Warriors winger crossed the halfway line en route to the Newcastle goal line.

The 21-year-old said he felt short of breath after hitting the ground and was in discomfort after the match.

"It's too early to tell whether it is [broken] at this stage, so I'll wait and see how it pulls up in the next few days," Dureau said.

Buderus played the second half with his right thigh heavily strapped but expected to be fit for Brisbane.

"It was my first run when I got tackled by [Simon] Mannering. It caused me a bit of grief, but anyway, I'll look after it this week and I should be fine," Buderus said.

Coach Brian Smith said he would review the halves situation after the team's medical check on their return to Newcastle today.

Following their golden-point loss to Parramatta the previous week, Smith was again pleased with his players' fighting qualities after the Warriors cleared out to a 14-0 lead midway through the first half.

Newcastle rallied with converted tries to Wes Naiqama and Cory Paterson to trail 14-12 at half-time then pulled to within 20-16 in the 60th minute when James McManus crossed out wide.

Buderus's near miss and Ah Van's try was the 12-point turnaround that broke Newcastle's back, but even then they refused to concede.

A weaving Kurt Gidley run set up Naiqama's second try in the 77th minute, but Gidley missed the conversion attempt, leaving the Knights six points in arrears, but they were hammering the New Zealand line in the final seconds until Logan Swann intercepted a Buderus dummy-half pass to secure a Warriors victory.

"We didn't start how we wanted. We wanted to give away no penalties and make them do all the tackling, but that switched around and we gave all the penalties away and we made all the tackles," Dureau said.

"It's good that we're fighting on and we're a team that's not going to give up, but we can't keep starting like that and giving teams head-starts and thinking we can come home and win every week."

Warriors captain Ruben Wiki said his side had won back respect after their 52-6 loss to Manly last Monday.

"We just wanted to get some respect for each other as players and for the club and for the fans," Wiki said. "We got the two points, and I think it was a bit of relief for the boys after last week's effort." with AAP
LINK

Isn't that just fantastic ....

Jono078

Referee
Atleast we are in a decent situation now..

Past years when a half would go down we'd be f**ked...

Now we have Bailey and Walsh to step in who have been going well and racking up 40 points a game when playing together in reserves.

I dont think we'll lose to much, if anything it could help because Broncos wont know how these halves play for us.

Spitty

Juniors
It'll be a massive shame if Scotty and Mullo can't play, but I'm excited about seeing Walshy and Bails in action.

Besides I tend to think our forwards have been keeping us in games anyway and if they keep going well then life will be made as easy for Walshy and Bails as it has been for Scotty and Mullo.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
I can't see us beating Broncos without Mullen. I hope i'm wrong but they Broncs are in pretty awesome form I dont think the Melbourne game took too much out of them.

roopy

Referee
You don't get broken ribs and not know about it - probably just minor rib cartilage damage, but Smith might still rest him and give Walshy and Bails a chance to continue their partnership.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I can't see us beating Broncos without Mullen. I hope i'm wrong but they Broncs are in pretty awesome form I dont think the Melbourne game took too much out of them.
I think its still very much possible tbh. Lockyer out isn't as big an issue for them as it was previously due to them having Wallace at halfback, but it'll make it a bit easier for us

knights_maniac

Juniors
Just saw the team come thruogh at the airport (i work here), bedsy was limping like an old man, not sure how serious this "cork" thigh is... mullen wasnt limping but like that article said he had his ankle in some sort of brace. they stocked up hard on booze n smokes at duty free as well hah

Karmawave

Bench
Our depth was always going to be tested if certain positions had injuries.

I'm just wondering if this is the start of the rot.

I hope not.

Darren Lockyer will definitely not play.

NthKnight

Our depth was always going to be tested if certain positions had injuries.

I'm just wondering if this is the start of the rot.

I hope not.

Darren Lockyer will definitely not play.

This will def help us. Wallace is good but he has looked lost without Lockyer on his outside, the Cowboys game made him look in control due to very poorly organised opposition.

roopy

Referee
Our depth will be tested, but that's why we have it.
If I were Dureau it would take a lot for me to sit out, because Walshy will make every post a winner if he gets a shot.
Bails will probably not be able to push out Mullen, but Walsh and Dureau can't give each other an inch.

voltron

Juniors
will hodges be out for the broncs this week??
and pj marsh?
those two have been great for the broncs so far

Bicey_18

Bench
Lockyer is out for sure.. Hodges, Marsh and I believe Wallace are in doubt as well. If thats the case.. massive massive chance of getting a win. I think I read somewhere Ennis may be charged for faking his injury? Not sure on that one..

I think the Bailey/Walsh combo will go well.. they have had a good few weeks 2gether in NSW Cup and that side has been pretty impressive.. Im confident they can get the job done.

keeney

First Grade
If Lockyer, Wallace, Marsh, Hodges and Ennis are out, you'd have to think they'd have a massive problem scoring points. I hope we catch them without some players, we need luck

Serc

First Grade
Just going off what I heard on the weekend, we'd be more likely to see one of Hodges and Marsh out...this week I'll tune into the TV up here more than I usually do so I'll post on here if I hear anything :)

keeney

First Grade
Lockyer is definitely out for 2 weeks according to Mx. So that's one down. Mx said Mullen's injury isn't as bad as initially feared. 3 week prospect.

Bicey_18

Bench
I still think we can win even if its just Lockyer out... I mean the Cowboys werent exactly competitive when they played Brisbane 2 weeks back.. will be a very interesting game

Latest posts