What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights target Taumata faces sack from Bulldogs - Newton back in Newie

Pumba

First Grade
Knights target Taumata faces sack from Bulldogs
BY BRETT KEEBLE

THE Bulldogs are expected to sack troubled teenager Arana Taumata a player the Newcastle Knights had targeted as one of their major recruits for 2009 as early as today.

The 19-year-old utility is under investigation for an alleged assault.

The allegations against Taumata come as the Bulldogs continue to deal with the aftershocks of Sonny Bill Williams's departure last Saturday to pursue a rugby union career in France.

Bulldogs media manager Frank Barrett said last night that the club was aware of the allegations against Taumata and had hired a private investigator to assist them.

Barrett said that investigation was almost complete and the Bulldogs would "move swiftly once we know all the details".

Knights chief executive Steve Burraston denied speculation that the club had already signed Taumata but said they had been in advanced negotiations and he was worried about the allegations.

"It is certainly cause for concern," Burraston said.

"This will certainly make us sit up and take notice before we proceed any further."

Burraston said the Knights had a regular board meeting scheduled for tonight and would discuss whether to continue with their pursuit of the talented playmaker or withdraw their offer.

"We have been in negotiations with him and his management for some time," Burraston said last night.

"That had progressed to an advanced state of negotiation and we had put an offer on the table but I've spoken to [Knights strategic development manager] Keith Onslow as late as this afternoon and he told me that had not been accepted as yet and that we have not signed him.

"I don't know all the circumstances or details at this stage so we'll try to determine what has happened and we'll discuss that at our board meeting and determine what action we will take."

At only 19, Taumata has already left a trail of controversy and estranged NRL clubs in his wake.

He had been sacked by the Broncos and Roosters before being thrown a lifeline by the Bulldogs at the start of this season.

Taumata won a national schoolboys title with Matraville Sports High in Sydney's east and represented the Junior Kiwis in 2007.

But his prodigious talent didn't stop the Roosters axing him with a season left to run on his contract for repeated indiscretions.

The Broncos had cut ties with him the previous year after securing the promising halfback on a scholarship when he was 15.

Neither Taumata nor his manager, Cameron Day, could be contacted last night for comment.

Taumata, who made his NRL debut against the Roosters at Sydney Football Stadium on June 27, was not selected for the Bulldogs' game against the Tigers at ANZ Stadium on Sunday.

But it is understood that decision by coach Steve Folkes was due to Taumata's poor form and was not related to the assault allegations.

*Former Knights and premiership-winning Melbourne Storm forward Clint Newton is back in Newcastle for treatment on a knee injury that prematurely ended his first Super League season with Hull KR.

Newton was one of several former and current NRL players at the Anthony Mundine-Crazy Kim non-title fight at Newcastle Entertainment Centre last night.

The 27-year-old back-rower tore the posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in a game against Wakefield last month but is expected to recover in time to return for pre-season training later this year

Link

Last edited:

Karmawave

Bench
But Karmawave told us Taumata was already signed, why would karmawave lie to us.

Taumata's contract with the Knights has been lodged with the NRL and can be officially announced pending official player manager accreditation of his manager.

Stand by it 100%. That's what I said the other day and I stand by it.

The Knights might backpedal now and withdraw it and they can posture all they like about how he hasn't signed as a way of saving face and distancing themselves from his off field behaviour, but his contract has been lodged with the NRL - take it or leave it.

Bulldogs site The Kennel have already admitted the Knights have signed him, and saying the exact same thing.

It was also mentioned by Barry Toohey, Newcastle based writer for News Corp in one of his columns, but his columns are not put online for me to source.

Besides that, since when does a development officer know more about a player signing than the CEO that signs the cheques? :lol: - Oh that's right, only in Newcastle... Right!

Personally, I would not be suprised at all if the Knights cancel the contract if he is guilty of the broken jaw as has been alleged, and its been a blessing in disguise the delay of accrediting his player manager has held up the contract being made official, because it gives the Knights an easy escape clause to save their reputation and maintain that he was never signed.

Last edited:

COB

Juniors
Besides that, since when does a development officer know more about a player signing than the CEO that signs the cheques? :lol: - Oh that's right, only in Newcastle... Right!
[/QUOTE]

Agreed , sounds like Burro was caught on the back foot and tried to come up with a politicians answer to the question ( very bizzare quote that onslow has assured him no deal is done !) it sounds to me like they have agreed to a deal, and looks like they may back out after the board meeting.

Karmawave

Bench
you'd be lonely without me and you know it. :)

I do enjoy our forum banter! Plus you often make sense, even if we don't agree on a topic.

If a line is drawn and the farthest right of the line - 10 - is totally biased Knights fan who praises anything and everything in red and blue ( .e.g Roopy ), and the farthest left - 0 - is anti everything Newcastle Knights ( e.g. Skeepe ) , you'd probably be a 7 to 8.

I'm right of centre, but just. I'm a 6. :lol:

And that's only because the professionalism of the club and their decisions in recent years has left me scratching my head wondering if they deserve the passionate support of fans ( of which passion wise I'm a 10 even when I'm negative or critical though some here might not realise that ).

Last edited:

Pika

Bench
To be honest, Karmas tips have usually been spot on.

Its only when he throws up his opinion that it sometimes goes astray.... (halfback etc)

We can all get that incorrect. I have been saying Simmo is right to play for three weeks......

His inside info is usually sharp though.