What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights v Dragons Post Match Thread

Frederick

Staff member
Dear M. Hagan,

I'm writing to you tonight to let you in on a secret.

You ready? Ok, here it is...

KURT GIDLEY IS NOT A FULLBACK!

Ok, sure he filled in there for about 30 minutes in the past two games, and did alright given the situation, but tonight he has shown that he does not know anything about being a fullback. He doesn't know where to position himself, can't read kicks well, and, for some reason, thinks that, as a fullback, you have to jump to catch a bomb, even when there is no-one within cooee of you.

I beg of you, Mr Hagan - end this charade now! Next week, name Nathan Hinton at fullback, and return Kurt to his "rightful" position of 5/8.

Yours Sincerely,
Disgruntled fan no. 4493

Frederick

Staff member
My other thoughts from the game:

* Buderus was outstanding, given the circumstances of him being injured and backing up from Wednesday night.
* Our forward pack lacked any impact - I hope to god that Simmo will be back next week, otherwise we're in deep sh*t against the Bulldogs.

...There was more, but I can't think at the moment :(

Also, props to the Crusade for putting a smile on my face on this otherwise sh*tty night

Jono078

Referee
Basically what CF said.

Very Dissapointed. If we lose next week i'll be even more furious, we need to go into the bye with a win IMO.

cram

Bench
Note to CF and Hagan, Gidley is not a fullback or a 5/8, don't care where u put him but dont put him in either position.

Also for the record, the forwards (Buderus exempted) were very ordinary. Johns was very ordinary, Oh and didnt the Dragons just love the side of the field that Gasnier was playing on.

Well done to the Dragons...

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Ok, here's my rant on the game tonight. I'll start on a "subjective" note. Firstly, now the game has been won and run, the writing was on the wall. To start with, the Dragons had a point to prove. Secondly, the Knights had a consecutive four week winning streak, albeit practically falling over the line on all four occasions. We then came to tonight. Because the Dragons had a point to prove, and we were suddenly going to have a let down in the coming weeks, we end up with the end result. It's not the end of the season obviously and its on again next week.

Now onto Mr Archer's performance. He let the Dragons play a perfect spoiling game, letting them lie all over us and allowing them to stand in front of him by about half a metre to a metre all night and not penalising them. The last try to the Dragons will deadset do me. Hornby was fair dinkum about a metre at least in front of the kicker yet Mr Archer went upstairs for a look. Archer and Mr Ward, give yourselves a triple.

On the performance of the boys, well I spose the less said about it the better. They just didn't turn up. Matt Gidley, Craig Smith and Danny Buderus are the only players who can hold their heads high. To put this year in perspective, at least we're still going to be in the top eight, and this time last year, we were still looking for our first win.

That said, the Dragons played very well and Mark Gasnier gave poor old Georgey a bath.

keeney

First Grade
That he did, kudos to chris bailey as well though, what I saw of him I was impressed with, enthusiasm in defense.

Bicey_18

Bench
Yeah cant say much tonite... we got thrashed, Dragons were 2 damn good 4 us.. congrats.

A note on the Knights supporters at the game...Considering the scoreline and the weather late in the game... the support shown was tremendous! To all Knights fans who stayed back, put up with the rain, the scoreline and some of the dragons over the top supporters.. congrats 2 you. This team has a lot of heart and boy im proud 2 be apart of this club. Alot of fans stayed back and clapped the boys off as they came off the field ... as i was cheering them off i over heard Carney say 2 Matty Gidley... "Geez these guys are awesome" referring to us the fans...

Better luck next week boys....

Voice of Reason

Juniors
Smart game plan by the Dragons. They exploited our weaknesses- and no surprise Gaz ran over top of Carmont (2005 version of George tonight), kicked to a stand-in fullback who has no positional sense as a fullback, kicked in behind a winger (Carney) who week after week comes up and in out of position and spolied in the ruck becasuse they kniew that they could get away with it with Archer. We have limped over the last few weeks whilst the Dogs have powered to thiers so next week looks ominous for us. come on the bye, we look tired and in need of a rest

RufusRex

Post Whore
that hornby try ... his back foot was in line with Barretts front foot ... technically on side even though he looked about 2m off side ... Dragons copped a similar one against the storm a few weeks back. Stupid rule ... It shouldnt be on legs it should be on Torsos to work out if someone is on/off side.

Serc

First Grade
Archer is bad.

Whoever the video ref is needs to be shot.

We were average and didn't deserve to win...but the Dragons wern't good enough to win by that much.

Some days no luck goes your way, I think today was one of those.

10 points to Buderus for what he has done for the past week. Kidley has no idea on positioning as has already been mentioned, but did take a number of great kicks and tackles and his usual 110% effort...still not a fullback though!

The team needs a rest, and Johns definitely needs a rest!

Pity the Dragons still have 22 points to catch up on from round 5 :D

Frederick

Staff member
cram said:
Also for the record, the forwards (Buderus exempted) were very ordinary.
Not one of our forwards made 100 metres tonight. And the only reason I said return Kids to 5/8 is to just get him away from fullback. At 5/8, he doesn't have to catch bombs or any of that sh*t, all he has to do is pass or run the ball.

Oh yeah, another thing from the match. Nothing to do with the players, but where I sit, I've got these two old knobs sitting in the two seats next to me. Deadset, every 3 seconds they'd spit out the same phrase: "Bloody useless <insert player name here>"
Even when we looked to be doing things right! All night it was "Bloody useless, that Carney", or "Bloody useless that Johns". I'll be looking to buy their seats for next year when renewals come up, so that I don't have to put up with their 'insightful commentary', so does anyone want a couple of seats? :lol:

Rod

Bench
The Dragons were all over us in the forwards tonight, we missed Simmo but tbh I'm not that gutted about the loss, that joke of a video ref decision near the end proved that it just wasn't our night. Joey wasn't himself, I think the commentary was right that Joey and the boys are a bit weary, we've played 12 games in a row now, and haven't been the same since the Cowboys game. I'd be extremely happy to come away from Telstra with a win next week the way things have panned out recently. I'm gonna look on the positive side and say that after the bye in Round 14, we'll come out the next week and do a big number on the Warriors, the boys will be recharged from a week's rest and we'll be pretty much full strength, we should have Thaiday, Newton, Tolar etc. back for that game. We have a pretty good record in Auckland I reckon we could put 50 on them.

Anyway back to tonight, Midley was outstanding as was Buderus, defended very well. Most of our forwards lacked the punch that we have come to expect, although when Perry came on I thought he made a difference. Kidley at fullback obviously wasn't a success, I'm desperate to see Milton back in action we really need at the back IMO.

Stuzmeister

Juniors
I have not seen us play any worse for a very ver very long time. Kidley should never wear the No. 1 ever again. Lowrie should never play 5/8 again. Our forwards need to pull their finger out for next week. Joey needs to find a way to focus again, he's been looking out of sorts since the cowboys game.
Buderus and Midley were the only 2 players in my opinion that had a half decent game.
All in all it was painful to watch and I am very dissapointed.

Frederick

Staff member
Stuzmeister said:
I have not seen us play any worse for a very ver very long time. Kidley should never wear the No. 1 ever again. Lowrie should never play 5/8 again. Our forwards need to pull their finger out for next week. Joey needs to find a way to focus again, he's been looking out of sorts since the cowboys game.
Buderus and Midley were the only 2 players in my opinion that had a half decent game.
All in all it was painful to watch and I am very dissapointed.
Match v. Storm this year I think eclipses tonights game.

Jono078

Referee
We really need the BYE.. I just dont want to be going into it 8-5.

If we win the dogs game we will be 9-4 then we come back after the bye with a few players back and all fresh and ready to go.

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
We'd been shaping up for a loss for a while, really. We've had close wins against Canberra, the Tigers, and the Rabbitohs with a lot of close calls going our way, when we really should have been able to win quite convincingly. Joey looked pretty limp - I would say it's about the worst performance I've seen from him since Origin last year - Buderus should've probably been rested given his back injury, and Kidley at fullback was woeful.

I'm actually glad we lost like that. Maybe it'll spur the boys on to something approaching their early season form.

Ben

Bench
Although I hoped that we could scrape the win, I was never really confident about the game. We struggled to put the Raiders away, and we were just missing too many players in crucial positions.

From that performance, I have to say that we lack punch through the middle when Simpson and Newton aren't there. Attack was very one dimensional with all our linebreaks coming from the centres. There were no inside runners and Johns seemed to struggle with the pressure by the Dragons. When is Hagan going to realise that Kidley is no fullback and Lowrie is no five-eighth. Hopefully next week we will see Hinton make his debut at fullback, Kidley moves into five-eighth and Lowrie goes back to the bench.

Yosh

Coach
reegan tanner... like seroiusly he tries hard as eveyrone knows but he got smashed first hitup, then around two later he got smashed, and it was a repeat throughout the game. his defence isnt carmont but he needs to be dropped. carmont shouldnt ever disgrace newcastle by putting on no.4 ever again as well. seroiusly super coach, i know im no NRL coach either but seroiusly you are the WORST!!! THE WORST... im sure its common sense that you should drop people who have been crap for the last season and a half and replace them with real players...
like seroiusly im so pissed off with Hagan, and i dont really blame carmont and tanner coz its not their fault that they are crap, im quiet happy that they give 100% every game but i would be far happier to see them give their 100% in premier league.