What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights v Panthers - Round 1 Preview

Andy

First Grade
This, I think is going to be the game of the round and possibly one of 2004's best games too.

The Panthers are looking quite strong, with a 34-12 demolishing of the NZ Warriors on the weekend, and most of the game was played without their star NZ representitive back rower, Joe Galuvao. He left the field early with a dislocated finger.

Luke Swain and Tony Puletua also did not play.

The Panthers were losing 12-6 at half time, but came out a different side in the second period, and ran away with the game.

With the Panthers looking to be at near full strength for the season opener in just 11 days time, the Knights, with Andrew Johns back to steer the boat, will encounter one of their toughest challenges of 2004.

Talk about a baptism of fire.

From the 2 Premiership contenders, the winner of this first game will come away with bragging rights and a huge confidence boost for the remainder of the season.

I can't wait for this game. It's going to be a cracker.

antonius

Coach
Dead right on all points Andy. I was pretty surprised at the size of Penriths win, not sure how many of the Warriors starting side were reg first graders though, I haven't seen much reported about the game. I was initially thinking the Panthers might come out with post premiershipitis,LOL. where they would find it hard to maintain the end of last season intensity, but it seems that might not be the case, This game will definately be a good indicator for us, both in the way Hages sees the team makeup for the year (or should I say his prefered team makeup) and also our realistic chances for the year (I think we are a real chance). Yep it'll be a cracker

Doctor

Bench
Andy said:
The Panthers are looking quite strong, with a 34-12 demolishing of the NZ Warriors on the weekend,

I wouldn't usually read too much into the trial results. Some players don't play, others only come on in short spells, and most sides push youngsters up into the top grade to "trial" them, as the name suggests.

The Panthers are looking strong though. From all accounts they are not still caught up in the hype of their premiership and are probably shaping for a solid season in the top 6.

most of the game was played without their star NZ representitive back rower, Joe Galuvao. He left the field early with a dislocated finger
Luke Swain and Tony Puletua also did not play.

These omissions are significant. The Panthers steamrolled sides will their own 'bash brothers', Galuvao and Puletua, last year and will look to do the same this year. The latter match against the Knights, I seem to recall, they hit us hard up the middle and exposed our dodgy defences to great effect. The Panthers have a good balance which is a sign they will do well again this year. With the bigger, yet mobile, forwards running hard up the centre, and always keeping the sprinters on the flanks handy for a surprise raid up the wing, the Panthers have a pretty good method.

As I said, Top 6 material again - I'll be surprised if they did not loom in and around the top 4.

roopy

Referee
The Panthers are a couple of weeks ahead of other teams in their preparations because of the WCC.
It will be a long season for them - but round one is when they will be firing pretty good I'd say.

Andy

First Grade
I just learned that the Warriors side was fairly young and understrength, but it still boasted more than half of its regular 1st grade side.

I understand that trial matches aren't the best indication of a team's strength, but it is still a ryard stcik which should be used as caution.

~bedsy~

First Grade
I can't wait for this game... will be great. I think we have been working really hard in this off season and I'm really confident that we can match it with them. i would love to see this game be really close.

antonius

Coach
I suppose the dampner is our injury toll in the forwards, Parso, Kennedy,Tanner, and even Wooly is a bit dodgy. Word is that Quigley did some damage to his shoulder in the reggies trial against the Bulldogs at the weekend as well, it'll be a nervous wait to see who is fit to play the Panthers.

Leasha

Juniors
Hey guys!

I know I havent been around for a while but I just HAD to comment on this thread...

I'm soooooo looking forward to the Knights first game of the season, mainly for the footy and also cos my 18th birthday falls on that day!

I reckon its an omen - the Knights just HAVE to win to wish me a happy birthday hehehehehehe!! :D

choc_soldier

Coach
Definitely a tester for the first match of our premiership defence.

A packed house at Penrith, two teams that on paper will make most league fans salivate. Andrew Johns' comeback match, the defending premiers playing in front of their faithful.

This is going to be a bobby dazzler, and I'm going to not miss this match for anything.

It'll go down to a few points.

Panthers by 4. :D

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Leasha said:
Hey guys!

I know I havent been around for a while but I just HAD to comment on this thread...

I'm soooooo looking forward to the Knights first game of the season, mainly for the footy and also cos my 18th birthday falls on that day!

I reckon its an omen - the Knights just HAVE to win to wish me a happy birthday hehehehehehe!! :D

Hey Leasha, it's feels like ages since you came onto this forum. Were you to busy celebrating rudder leaving ;-)

PREDATOR

Juniors
If ever there was a game that should have been moved to Telstra Stadium,this is it!! :x
Panthers by 12.

Andy

First Grade
Ok, if we're going to start posting score predictions, even this far out, I'll lob my two cents worth aswell.

Knights by 8.

Risa

Bench
Knights by 6 :D

I think it will be an absolute cracker of a game. From reports I've heard Parsons & Kennedy could be in our squad but they are racing the clock to be fit. What's the bet Kennedy is named for a couple of weeks but doesn't return?

Matt23

Staff member
Knights by 4
First try scorer: Andrew Johns

And BK should be kept out till he's 100%...hang on on second thoughts that could take a while #-o

Matt23

Staff member
The papers say, Clint will be back round 2, think it might take him a bit longer then that.

Simplycheeky

Juniors
I think the Panthers might beat the Knights in round 1. I really believe it will take a few weeks before our forwards be be back to full strength even though they will be pushing to return for round 1 or 2. The Panthers have an abundance of forward power compared to the Knight's considering all the injuries we have.
It'll defintely be a game worth watching though.

foetus_head

Juniors
It will be a tough match, but the final score will be the knights by 4.

First try scorer: Gidley
MoM: Kennedy

socksie

Juniors
Leasha said:
Hey guys!

happy bday Leasha!!!
whats been doin since the hsc dude?
ahhh the joy of turning 18 :D
its all too familiar for me as it happened last night
being legal is fun :D

les norton

First Grade
Well happy birthday for tuesday sockies!! And happy birthday for friday leasha!!!
And the knights by 8...MoM - Johns. 1st try scorer - Tahu

Latest posts