What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights V's Bunnies. Post Match Talk

chinorocks

Juniors
Its halftime. 8-6 Bunnies. That half of football was so bad I'm almost embarassed to admit to being a Knights fan. They are playing with no passion and if they we're playing any other team they would be down about 30-0. If I was Hages I'd be goin absolutely ballistic in the rooms right now. With the possible exception of Matt Gidley and Danny Buderus they look like a reserve grade team.

chinorocks

Juniors
Thankfully the second half was significantly better. Still not a good performance but at least we got the much needed two points. My best game wraps go to Robbie, Hall, Quinn and Buderus.

thuganomics

Coach
O'Davis MOM, Buderus just behind him.
It was a poopr first half, a inproved 2nd half. Andi thikn the good thing is we can only get better.

Perrys got a minor Forarm Injury. He will still play next week. Andrew Price on report.

CycloneSteve

Juniors
We played awful. However as Souths are a nothing team with nothing players we were lucky that they couldnt pose much of a threat. When we had the ball we dropped it, made stupid errors and just looked woeful. When Souths had it their players just didnt have the skills to do anything with it, which is why if we had a better second half we had it won.

thuganomics

Coach
Whats WITH the CROWD!! They are not lifting our team, they are very silent this year. Maybe because of no Joey. But they need to be more vocal. Im doing my best to get to as much games as i can to help the boys.

Risa

Bench
I've noticed that, the crowds are so not what they used to be. Maybe we need what the Northern Eagles had when they were around, the chant done by a PA, lol.

Pretty crappy first half. We played with absolutely no spirit. Thankfully the second half was much better. Maybe we underestimated Souths?

If we play like that in the first half against the Dogs we'll get killed.

keeney

First Grade
mmm we underestimated them though, i dont think that performance is indicative of our form, at least not the first half, we didnt consider them worthy opponents, we'll turn out for the dogs

IanG

Coach
Yeah we may've won the game but it was a reallly sloppy game. The bunnies were really in that game until about the last 30 minutes.

The Knights will need to really have a look at this before next Sunday when we play the Bulldogs.

Doctor

Bench
This post is long, but I think you will find it far more convenient with the use of bold and the spacing. Overall I thought it was a game of two halves - the second half being very impressive when compared with a scrappy first half.

The Players:

O’Davis – simply brilliant tonight. His sole mistake, a forward pass, should not be allowed to distract from what was an impressive display. He did the basics of the fullback role by taking the bombs, making metres on his kick-returns and defusing any half-breaks made by Souths. The icing on the cake was his support play: he was the only Knight within a cooee of a kick down field which hit the left upright padding and dribbled around in the in-goal. He held the attacker up long enough for his teammates to finish off and force a drop-out. His defensive effort to deny Souths another try was also impressive – as he and teammates took the attacker into touch. His eventual try, once again through the simple task of support-play, came because of a Buderus dummy-half raid. 9/10

Quinn
– Caught a good bomb nearing full-time, and generally made the simple things look simple. He is an effort player who is rarely made to look hopeless. Another good effort from him despite being fairly quiet. 6.8/10

M.Gidley
– He still seems a bit under-done. Some silly penalties creeping into his game and he doesn’t seem to involve himself as much as other leading centres. Personally I wasn’t really blown away by his performance tonight, which is a shame because he is a fairly skillful player. 6/10

Carmont – Practically scored two tries – he set up one after standing up two defenders. Then later on after Abraham busted through, he was there (with Ennis) to receive the offload before crashing over to score. He was keen all night, and came up with a pretty solid performance. Good work. 7.2/10

Hall – Not much to report, he worked hard and was rewarded with two tries – the first try more a test of his skill than the second. He made good metres from dummy half again, but wasn’t tested by Souths under the high ball. His main weakness is his height – thankfully this wasn’t pressured and he came away with a pretty solid game. 7/10

Witt – Fairly quiet, but still made a small mark. He made a line-break off a kick (not sure whether it was Kidley or Witt that kicked it) that nearly resulted in a try. He also worked fairly hard to link up the offloads with the backline. His kicking was reasonable, but I still don’t think we’ve seen the best of him yet. Still building towards something 6.5/10

K.Gidley – His kicks were straight to the catchers, a few went dead in-goal and his hands may have been secretly caked with a greasy substance. Not the best performance from Kurt Gidley tonight, especially given the opposition. He didn’t strike me as very keen to get involved, and it showed in his performance. Kurt is a good player, especially for a 21-year-old, but he may need to re-assess some of the things he is doing out there. Some scrappy passes entered his game (while he produced some excellent passes during the game also), and his kicking was again sub-standard. He looked to me like he was over-confident, especially when he nearly scored towards the end – he didn’t see the second defender and ended up losing the ball. Hopefully he won’t lose all his confidence, because essentially it is his kicking and intensity that is letting him down. 5.5/10.

Perry – If Robbie O’Davis hadn’t played so well, Perry would have had the MOTM hands down. Perry produced what I would call a “mistake free match”. Quite seriously folks, it was Josh Perry’s best game since the first bread was sliced. He made the metres, made some good strong tackles (even on backs that were running away from him), and stood up when he was required. My usual complaint is: “yes Perry made metres, but he gave away penalties and knocked-on” – not so today. I didn’t see a penalty against Perry, nor did he drop the ball, nor did he play the ball incorrectly. I hope someone gives Perry a pat on the back for an excellent game. If last week’s match played him out of a Country jersey, then tonight’s match has played him back into it. I never thought I would say this but: Perry was disciplined. Great performance. 9/10

Buderus – Started slowly, but exposed Souths for their patchy defence in the second stanza. Buderus is easily the game’s best rake, and he proved it tonight. He makes tired defenders look second-rate by ceasing on sloppy marker-work and linking up with support players. Another great performance, but for once overshadowed by others around him (namely O’Davis and Perry) – 8.4/10

Woolnough – Fairly quiet overall, but did fairly well at the territory-making work. He seemed to work hard, but was overshadowed by his fellow forwards. Not a bad performance 6.5/10

Newton – Very keen early. Spent the first 20 minutes taking the ball forward and even played 2nd-receiver for a brief moment. Later mistakes hurt his overall performance, but his work-rate was Peden-esque. 7/10

Lowrie – He probably spoiled what was otherwise a good performance by letting Souths in for their sole try because he wasn’t watching where he passed the football. Otherwise he was fairly solid, keen and performed credibly. His defence was quite good too. 7/10

Abraham – Another solid performance from the lock-forward. He confirmed his claims for a Country jersey with good support play and metre-gaining. He defended well, even making a break or two, one of which lead to a try. Top stuff 7.5/10

Parsons
– Continued his good form from last week, attracting defenders and looking to run at the defence instead of slowing down. Worked hard in defence, and came away with another fine effort. 7/10

M.Kennedy – A great performance overshadowed by the bigger name players. He produced probably his best first grade game ever because he was keen to take the ball up. I don’t know how many hit-ups he made, but if we had 17 Matt Kennedys like that every week we’d be making metres. Top stuff. 8/10

Price
– Quiet, but didn’t seem to be on the field for as long as his fellow benchies. Like Newton and Kennedy, he worked hard and produced a good performance. 6.5/10

Ennis – Tried hard, but didn’t get much work because of limited game-time. He isn’t doing much wrong, that’s for sure. Probably needs more game time to show his true form. But he tried hard, supported the line-breaks and didn’t make any mistakes. 6.5/10

Shayne Hayne – Spent much of the game maintaining an authoritarian tone. He strikes me as a referee who likes being in control. Unfortunately he seemed to allow his dictation to creep towards over-confidence. Some interesting calls included; the pulling of Kurt Gidley off the attacker and the no-shepard call that led to the Knights’ first try, Witt being called off-side when all he had done was take a run-up instead of being level with the ref, Matt Gidley being hindered in his attempt to get into dummy-half – a high tackle against Price made this decision hit Newcastle hard just when they looked like scoring etc. Not his best game, but he did make some good decisions (i.e. Matt Gidley’s hand between the attacker’s legs = penalty). 5/10

thuganomics

Coach
If you think about it, our defence was not Bad. We let in one try and that was basically handed to them. Its just our attack that lacks enthusiasm at stages.
As does our line speed at times.

Doctor

Bench
thuganomics said:
If you think about it, our defence was not Bad. We let in one try and that was basically handed to them. Its just our attack that lacks enthusiasm at stages.
As does our line speed at times.

That is perhaps one of the more pleasing aspects of the win - keeping them to eight points, single digits, one try etc.

I think that had it been a better attacking team, this might have been more of an issue - it certainly is worth noting though.

With all respect to Danny Buderus, even he was a little quiet in the first half. Buderus is one player who rarely has a dud game, so for him to be quiet is probably as "negative" as you can get. All three players played well, but I was particularly blown away by Josh Perry - his discipline is deserving of mountains of congratulations.

I'm wrapped that Perry performed so well. I hope that amidst all the back-patting to Buderus and O'Davis, Supercoach Hagan pulls Perry aside and gives him a warm smile, a friendly pat on the back and says "great game Josh, great game - man of the match stuff mate!".

Risa

Bench
I was really impressed with Matt Kennedy also. I'd probably go O'Davis, Perry, then Kennedy if rating players performances tonight. Matt Kennedy, whenever he was on, seemed to be taking the ball up so much and he seemed to be making more meters than he usually does. Great performance. :clap:

Latest posts