What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights V's Bunnies. Post Match Talk

antonius

Coach
I got to sit in box in the western grandstand on Saturday, and from up there the crowd was for the most part deathly quiet. We normally sit on the Gonninan Hill, and it was pretty quiet there during the Roosters game compared to past games.

IanG

Coach
Oswin said:
Shayne Hayne – Spent much of the game maintaining an authoritarian tone. He strikes me as a referee who likes being in control. Unfortunately he seemed to allow his dictation to creep towards over-confidence. Some interesting calls included; the pulling of Kurt Gidley off the attacker and the no-shepard call that led to the Knights’ first try, Witt being called off-side when all he had done was take a run-up instead of being level with the ref, Matt Gidley being hindered in his attempt to get into dummy-half – a high tackle against Price made this decision hit Newcastle hard just when they looked like scoring etc. Not his best game, but he did make some good decisions (i.e. Matt Gidley’s hand between the attacker’s legs = penalty). 5/10

Haven't we had a few problems with him in the past. Joey's been known to have had a few words to say to him.

skwintox

Juniors
i dont think its a problem with the croud not being as vocal, i think it is the new eastern stand, instead of the old corporate boxes providing a 'barrier' for the sound it just gets lost now, it will be better when the second level goes on tho, and it definately wasnt quiet around me :D

Doctor

Bench
antonius said:
We normally sit on the Gonninan Hill, and it was pretty quiet there during the Roosters game compared to past games.

Agreed on that point Tony. It was almost like a tennis match a few times there - hardly the atmosphere of yesteryear that used to make the eardrums work for their pay-cheques.

The flip side of this is that some people, in an attempt to gee up the crowd into being vocal, then end up calling out all sorts of stuff etc. When a few hundred people call out it becomes "hubbub". If one or two people try it, it becomes annoying for some reason.

Haven't we had a few problems with him in the past.

He was the referee who sent David Peachey to the bin last season - he has had his fair share of controversey. I'm not sure of specific games that we've had him this year, but most teams struggle a bit with his style.

Doctor

Bench
skwintox said:
i dont think its a problem with the croud not being as vocal, i think it is the new eastern stand, instead of the old corporate boxes providing a 'barrier' for the sound it just gets lost now, it will be better when the second level goes on tho, and it definately wasnt quiet around me :D

Good point. I initially thought the sheer volume of concrete and hard seating would help to bounce the sound back down to the field. But if we follow your logic, the sound is not doing this as it does, for instance, over the other side under the roof of the Western Stand.

I still think we're not vocal enough generally. There are no doubts about the noise when 22,000 Knights fans watch their team score, or when the referee blows a debatable penalty, but where is the noise when the Knights are trying to get momentum with their forwards? Perhaps we need a cult-of-personality again ala Paul "Raa-Hee-Hee" and "Tooo-keee!". I'm not a player, but if I was out there it would gee me up a fair bit - it can't hurt...... :idea:

By the way: welcome to the forums skwintox - I noticed it was your inaugural post on these forums. It's good to see a new face. :D

MC DUI

Juniors
Oswin said:
Perhaps we need a cult-of-personality again ala Paul "Raa-Hee-Hee" and "Tooo-keee!". I'm not a player, but if I was out there it would gee me up a fair bit - it can't hurt...... :idea:

:lol: The good old days of the Rauhihi fan club. When I get back to Newcastle next year I will have to gee all the boys up to start up a new club of sorts to do chants and such. Originally the Rauhihi Fan Club was only me and 2 other mates but damn if we didn't have close to 40-50 people in the club near the end of the season 8)

skwintox

Juniors
thanks oswin, ive been watching the foums for a while and i thought id add my 2 cents worth to the discussion. :D

Skwintox from cessnock eh?
Im typing from Kurri-Small world this internet stuff isnt it
Oh well _ welcome!!!!!{even if you do come from nessnok :D ]

the_knights_rule

First Grade
was prices high tackle anything to worry about?

i dont think he has ever been put on report, although i remember last year against the panthers he hit preston high and as soon as he did it he apologised and helped preston up, but that was basically big man on small man.

i didnt get to watch or listen to the game, but it sounds liek our first half was pretty bad.
good on robbie O for playing really well. i think its great that we have a 32 yr old fullback who still plays ner origin level.
also im very pleased with buderus, every week he plays really good, especailly since joey was injured he has really stepped up and he should be proud!

keeney

First Grade
he looked worried, i wudnt be surprised to see himcharged, it was kinda high, maybe a grade 1 careless high tackle, with a guilty ple meaning he doesnt miss any games?

antonius

Coach
keeney said:
he looked worried, i wudnt be surprised to see himcharged, it was kinda high, maybe a grade 1 careless high tackle, with a guilty ple meaning he doesnt miss any games?
I'm pretty sure he hasn't been charged.

Doctor

Bench
the_knights_rule said:
was prices high tackle anything to worry about?

I didn't see much to worry about in it, but then again I was concentrating on the fact Matt Gidley had just been impeded. Price's reported tackle occurred after Gidley's attempts to take the ball from dummy half were seemingly thwarted by offside defenders who grabbed at the ball on the ground. I'm not sure how legal it was -- perhaps Gidley was just too slow to get into dummy half. I didn't see a replay.

I would be surprised if Price was charged -- there have been worse tackles go without penalty.

i didnt get to watch or listen to the game, but it sounds liek our first half was pretty bad.

Spot on. Many people have joked that Hages must have given them a blast at halftime for them to come out and play so strong in the second half. It has been said with a humourous tone because you rarely hear about Supercoach Hagan being that fired up -- he is generally fairly reserved and keeps his emotions in check.

But having watch O'Davis on NBN News last night, talk about what was said at halftime, it seems Hages did actually give them a fair blast. O'Davis said he was getting stitches at the time and therefore missed what was said, but his teammates all agreed Hagan gave them a good kick in the pants, metaphorically speaking of course.

And, it worked. The Knights came out and put 18 unanswered points on Souths, keeping Souths scoreless for the entire second half.

I would suggest that given the rarity of Hagan giving his team a real blast, when it actually does happen the players sit up and take notice. That, in my opinion, is good coaching.

the_knights_rule

First Grade
I would suggest that given the rarity of Hagan giving his team a real blast, when it actually does happen the players sit up and take notice. That, in my opinion, is good coaching.

i read in a paper one of the players saying it wasnt pretty at halftime and hages was very angry at teh team performance and like you, i thought that seeing as we hardly ever hear about hages getting angry and giving teh players a kick up the bum made them really take notice and listen to what he had to say.

it was a good effort in the second half to keep the bunnies scorless, hages 'blow-up' definatley worked!

Latest posts