What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights Vs Manly Post Match Thread

strewth_mate

Bench
I think that performance by Hinton just ended Seage's career at Newcastle. Hinton will now be our #2 fullback and in all likeliness Seage won't get offered a new contract for 2007.

Not that I disagree because I haven't made my mind up about this, but bear in mind that we were talking similar things about Seage after 3 games. I'd like to see a bit more of him in a variety of circumstances before I have a solid opinion on who to consider our second string fullback. But that's just me ;-)

EDIT - Of course though, Seage is older and Hinton has a longer future by default, so at the very least it's nice to have them both around...

Ben

Bench
What a great game of football. I haven't felt that good after a Knights game for quite a while now. The forwards were playing sensational and the team shut down Orford and Kennedy superbly. They basically had nothing to work with.

A real standout for me tonight was Newton. He started off the season slow because of injury but his last couple of performances have steadily improved. He is nearly playing at the level he was at last year. He was brilliant running inside of Johns and was unlucky not to get a try-assist next to his name with a dubious forward pass ruling.

Hinton played really well and is probably the safest we have under the high ball, maybe even safer than Seage. I don't think I've ever seen him drop a ball yet. And another positive is that he has some pace, something our backline has been lacking in previous years.

Mullen is another who played really well. Strong kicking game and doesn't he have a wonderful right foot step. He could be the next Fittler step, except it being on the right foot. Quinn again showed that Management were stupid to let him go. Although he had no ball to work with attack he showed that he is vital to our team with atleast three try-saving tackles.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Must say it feels good to see a win in the first Newie game I've managed to see since we got done by Canterbury. It was a far from pretty performance from either side, but we defended our asses off and then came good in the second half. It really was hard to find a single stand-out. I thought that Quinn was astounding in defence, whilst Carney, Gidley, Mullen, Johns, and Hinton all offered plenty in attack. Even Lowrie managed to look good.

Reynoldson... he's the only one who didn't impress me at all. Looked like he was in slow motion every time he hit the line.

Burwood

Bench
CWBush said:
Reynoldson... he's the only one who didn't impress me at all. Looked like he was in slow motion every time he hit the line.

I thought that it was one of his better games- made good metres, solid defence and he even made a line break!

Alex28

Coach
I didn't see much of the game and it is great we won...however...

* You were all baging Hinton for the last 2 weeks saying he was not up to First Grade. One game later and he is there for good? Please...

* As good a game Quinn had in defence, he is not a $200K+ player. He can go defend decent 1 out of 2 games somewhere else...

Other than that - go team!

JasonE

Bench
Alex28 said:
* As good a game Quinn had in defence, he is not a $200K+ player. He can go defend decent 1 out of 2 games somewhere else...

Anthony was happy to stay at the club for the same amount he is currently getting which is nowhere near $200K but the incoming staff wanted to slash his salary and it was an insult what they were offering.

RABK

Referee
Roopy, i always told you Hinton wasn't slow.

And i'm glad after talking Hinton up for 18 months he has shown you all what he is capable of.

Thaidays future is at centre.

antonius

Coach
Great game by the team. For the Hinton doubters ....Cop that. I've been watching the guy for a few years now and always knew he had it in him, I've said it before he's the complete fullback, you could see it 2 years ago, as Roopy said he should have been in 1st grade last year, and definately earlier this year when Milton was injured, last night only showed a glimpse of what he's capable of. What about the ball he took then was creamed by BK? bounced straight up. Great break to set up for Carmonts try and safe as houses. I thought Newton was outstanding, showed great pace on a couple of occasions to leave Manly grabbing at thin air, his defense was right up there as well, Perry was like a battering ram. I thought him, Johns, Quinn, Hinton were our best,as well as Perry,and Mullen, Carney again was good out of dummy half, and Quinn is gonna be missed. Now for Parra, should get them next week. I hope Hagan has noted that when you play the guys in their positions you reap the rewards. So lets hope in future we don't revert to Kidley at fullback, Lowrie at 5/8th and all that bullsh!t.

keeney

First Grade
Newton has always been one of my favourite players, he's the only one of our younger forwards (at least when eh was younger) that hit the ball up and bent or broke the line, he's got a good offload, tackles hard and bleeds red and blue. I thought he was sensational last night.

Whats Doing

Bench
I have only see Hinton play in 1st grade and his first 2 games were very ordinary. Yes I was one of the doubters but you can only go on the form shown. However last night showed the kid has got talent and played brilliantly. His real test however will be his defence where his was found wanting in his first game. His game last night will give him real confidence and showed there should be many more opportunities for him in first grade.

The turning point was the dropped ball by Bryant with the try line wide open with 7 minutes to go. The knights were struggling at the time due to the amount of defence they had to do during the game. Although they were leading by 12 at the time, the result may have been different if he caught the ball.

The real difference last night was the attitude of the team in defence for the full 80 minutes where they aimed up all night. This was not the case over the past month.

To win at Brookie at night is a tremendous achievement and a great effort.

thuganomics

Coach
Alex28 said:
* You were all baging Hinton for the last 2 weeks saying he was not up to First Grade. One game later and he is there for good? Please...

What I was stating last week was that Hinton had not impressed me in his first few two games of first grade, but I don't wanna judge the guy to early because it's his rookie season, but hoped he would get more chances so we can see what he is truley made up of.

He impressed me last night, thing is can he keep it consistant with every game he gets.

knights9

Juniors
It great to win again.

All of our players were good. Hinton was impressive hopefully he keeps up this form if Thaiday isnt back next week. Mullen had a good game. Johns was probably the best on the field IMO.

I hope we can keep up this form for the rest of the year.

Burwood

Bench
Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but I'd like to give my congrats to Perry on his charge down when the game was in the balance. Great to see that sort of effort when the team was struggling to hold off what looked like an Eagles come back. It is pretty hard to fault Perry's effort last night- he always looked dangerous with ball in hand, didn't throw any silly offloads and most importantly no stupid penalties.

I must say this 10 times each season, but hopefully it is a sign of him finally maturing as a player.

~bedsy~

First Grade
macavity said:
now all we need to do is play like that till october, and we will be sweet.
I think Gene will agree if they get throught to october and win it will be an even better day for us ;-)

They are back on the right track now, and had improved even more tha last week. If they can keep on improving and start getting more players back they will be right in it come finals time.
Johns was nearly back to his best, the forwards did a great job, Josh was great when running forward. Their defence was alot better and getting back to what it was in the begining of the yr.
I was really impressed with Hinton as well, he hasn't done any wrong and he will continue to get better.
Watching Gidley and Johns in defence was great.
Bring on the rest of the season.

Oh and it wasn't much fun listening to my brother whinge about the ref the whole night :roll:

Ben

Bench
I think the team may be hitting their peak playing capacity just at the right time. And add to that, we still have a couple of notable players sitting on the sideline waiting to get back into the team.

Another positive out of that game was that we did it without both Buderus and Simpson. Without either of them in the past we have suffered, but this time our backrowers played strong and Quigley filled in very well. Even Brown had an above average game.

northey

First Grade
from what i watched i saw the knights have a good game. everyone looked to be in the game. actually wanting to win.
hopefully the win will encourage them to keep up that attitude they had last night.

sad to see quigs was hurt.

i thought it was funny after the game when carney appeared in the back of matty johns' interview with his brother.

Alex28

Coach
thuganomics said:
What I was stating last week was that Hinton had not impressed me in his first few two games of first grade, but I don't wanna judge the guy to early because it's his rookie season, but hoped he would get more chances so we can see what he is truley made up of.

He impressed me last night, thing is can he keep it consistant with every game he gets.
Mate - wasn't having a go at anyone in particular. There just seems to be a fair few Stadler & Waldorf's on the forum that love jumping on bandwagons on good times and are quick to jump off when we lose a game...

For instance - read last weeks Post Match Thread and there were people doubting he was good enough for First Grade. This week there are suggestions Thaiday will struggle to get his spot back.

The place is a vastly changing place depending whether we win or lose...

IanG

Coach
I'm over the moon that we're back in the Winners Circle. When watching it last night though the sound wasn't on and a friend of mine had smsed the result to me so before the telecast finished I knew the result. But hey very happy that we chalked up a win.

~bedsy~

First Grade
northey said:
i thought it was funny after the game when carney appeared in the back of matty johns' interview with his brother.
That was funny, I couldn't believe they were doing the post match interview near the showers. :lol:

northey

First Grade
That was funny, I couldn't believe they were doing the post match interview near the showers.

just like the old days! interviewing the boys while having a shower! lol