What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights V's Storm Post Match discussion Thread

antonius

Coach
DJ1 said:
I thought the Knights were very, very lucky to have Hayne out there today.

First Melbourne score a try next to the posts and he disallows it for a non existent forward pass.

Next Newcastle score a try off a blatant forward pass which was not picked up.

Next Tahu scores in the corner despite one of his feet clearly landing on the touchline prior to grounding the ball.

Should have been 6-0 Storm instead of 0-10 Knights. 16 point difference.

Hayne!!! Definately the Storms MOM, did everything he could to get them over the line, unfortunately for the Storm it just wasn't quite enough. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

foetus_head

Juniors
Now with that win we are 3rd on the ladder, and the only team to have come up against some tough competition and have all 4 points.

If we keep it up we will have smooth sailing to the finals.

chinorocks

Juniors
Pretty good effort...particuarly impressed with Carmont and Siege...pretty close to error free games from our least experienced guys. Kennedy was my MOM by a mile though he was simply outstanding.

Tahu and Abraham will not get cited...there was nothing in either incident, both were unlucky to be penalised IMO. Ennis could get cited though, for a high tackle that gave away a penalty after the Storm had been pinged for a forward pass late in the first half.

Awesome performance. I'm still happy with the defence, Melbourne trys appeared to come from sustained possession as a result of penalties. Something that'll have to be worked on. You can't help the bad touch judge calls, but we can work on getting onside a bit better.

Carmont, the former New Zealand residents rep, was a standout. I'd even have him above Seage in the best debut stakes this year. His defence was great and his move to the centres in the second half shows that he'll retain a spot in first grade when Quinn returns. Richardson to move back into reggies again.

BTW, when are they getting rid of the video ref? What a waste of time.

i thought our defence was better than last weeks..

Melbourne had a lot more in attack than the panthers did and looked very dangerous.. Holding them out for those 4 or 5 sets in the last 6 minutes of the game was awesome..

Risa

Bench
Just looking at the NRL stats page and the penalty count was 15-10 in Melbourne's favour. 25 penalties total in one game, my god!

It seemed as if Melbourne got more than that.

Johns-All-Day

Juniors
DJ1 said:
I thought the Knights were very, very lucky to have Hayne out there today.

First Melbourne score a try next to the posts and he disallows it for a non existent forward pass.

Next Newcastle score a try off a blatant forward pass which was not picked up.

Next Tahu scores in the corner despite one of his feet clearly landing on the touchline prior to grounding the ball.

Should have been 6-0 Storm instead of 0-10 Knights. 16 point difference.
Keep in mind that Tahu later had a fair dinkum try disallowed, so that evens out the points we got for his earlier try which definitely wasn't a try.

Hayne was bloody annoying. All he seemed to do was give out a million penalties, and when he wasn't doing that, he was going to the Video Ref. It all got a bit too much.

Tahu shouldn't be in trouble for his tackle, but Abes might have something to worry about. I don't think he had time to pull out of that hit on Orford -- but somehow I don't think the judiciary will see it the same way.

All in all it was a pretty exciting game. It was one of those games where you had no idea who was going to win until the last minute. The score was close throughout the game, and I always worry when there's only a few minutes left and we're only ahead by one try. But full credit to the boys -- our defence has certainly improved this season.

antonius

Coach
Lowrie was unlucky not to score today, when Gidley toed the ball for the Tahu disallowed try, Lowrie was on the inside with a clear run, Gidley mustn't have seen or heard him.
Great debut by Carmont. I thought Woolnough was the stand out prop especially early on, he was getting some great go forward. BK was outstanding again, Simmo seems to be regaining his form, and Daniel son made up a brilliant backrow for us I thought. Shayne Hayne was pathetic, he is not a first grade ref, some of his decissions belied belief today, he goes to the vid ref to much, and talks to the players like sh!t, then has the hide to ask for some respect, he needs to be told to get respect you have to have some. All in all a very satisfying win, that's two from two on the road, I was hoping for 3, maybe 4 wins from the first 5 away games, we are well on the way to achieving that.

Doctor

Bench
Danish Moo Cow said:
Awesome performance.

Ben Kennedy was interviewed after the match, and he made his opinions clear on how well the Knights played: He said he was disappointed with the performance, the Knights were lucky not to have more penalties against them (or binned), and that it felt like a loss.

By the sounds of it they didn't put together a solid game, but still came away with a win. I'm not sure the Knights will be happy with the win, but the good thing is that they can use the match as a wake-up call and still grab two competition points on their way home.

I noticed the Roosters have signed up Bill Harrigan as a training consultant - to run around at training with them, forcing them to be disciplined by giving penalties during practice-matches.

I think the Knights probably need their own referee to give them a good kick up the pants. They need to keep their mouths shut sometimes, because all it does is give away needless penalties. Some days you just don't have decisions going your way. I'm not saying the decisions were favouring one team (I didn't see the game), but the real test is how you handle the decisions that go against you - turn around and get back your 10, instead of lingering around the ref giving them your thoughts.

They need to lift their discipline levels if they want to put together an intense 10 or 15 minutes of football. You score tries when you apply pressure, but the Knights shoot themselves in the foot with silly penalties, and then backchat.

They'll need to improve for next week.

antonius

Coach
You are correct in saying they need to bite their tounges Oswin, but I did see the game, and I can tell you, it would have been hard(to bite your tounge) he (Hayne) had a very poor game.

astrogirl

First Grade
I only saw the last 20 minutes or so of the game. My impression of Shayne Hayne was that he wasn't addressing the players in a respectful way. Which makes it just about impossible for players to show respect to him. Hayne's manner can be atrocious IMO.

Doctor

Bench
antonius said:
You are correct in saying they need to bite their tounges Oswin, but I did see the game, and I can tell you, it would have been hard(to bite your tounge) he (Hayne) had a very poor game.

It's a test of their character then - referees have shocking games, some more than others (ahem! Hayne ahem!!!).

So in some ways discipline comes in two forms:

1. Remaining disciplined in keeping with the rules - i.e. staying on side, no high tackles, no cheap Hopoate tricks, etc etc.

2. Even when you do well with section 1, if the referee blows his whistle and you're penalised - no matter how fairly or unfairly - this form of discipline demands that you don't back-chat, linger around shaking your head, throw the ball away, and spit the dummy.

It must be tough to cop it on the chin, especially when you know you didn't drop the ball, didn't hit the ball-carrier around the head, or whatever else you're accused of.

But it is how you deal with the dud decisions that defines your character as a team and as an individual - you'll find the players that handle the dodgy decisions are the ones that end up earning the respect of referees (they should respect you anyway, but that's not the issue).