What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knock-on Effect NSW Cup - Eels Team

Chipmunk

Coach
Every player in this Reserve Grade team could probably come in and could help out our NRL team on any given day, but none of these blokes are going to improve the ability of the NRL side.

Mataele probably has some potential for the future, and both Doorey and Jake are decent at this level, but the rest can just stay in NSW Cup for mine. The ones not in the Top 30 would waste a Top 30 spot if we gave them one. Clearly some with a Top 30 spot don't deserve it either. Whoever signed Momoisea should be sacked for gross incompetence.

We had enough ball in that first half to score 5 tries. The scoreline is embarrassing to be honest given the possession and how much ball our opponents have gifted us.

If we continue to get beaten in the NRL, there is no one that can be bought in into the team from this mob that is going to change the situation.

We have some issues that's for sure.

Tooooks

Bench
Pretty embarrassing really. 65% possession, 81% completions, compared to 47% completions and we’ve barely looked threatening.

Wests can’t play worse in the second half surely.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Well thats 45 mins of my life Ill never get back. Ffs.

Asi? Is he playing.
Waqa. Say no more. Appalling.
The 13 and 15 are having a go.
Cini has gone backwards.
Horrible performance thus far with so much ball.
Our halfs are disappointing.
Fingers crossed second half.

Gronk

Staff member
Every time i've watched NSW Cup it's the same problem, dominate possession make plenty of metres but can't score points.
Unfortunately reserve graders play like reserve graders and the referees ref like they are second best as well.

Lots of plod out there, but as Hands has shown, you have to look beyond that cos good players around you can improve you immensely.

Doorey, Moretti, Mataeli, Cini, Arthur, Odgen, Kerr can all play.

Asi looks injured. Waqa has the yips. Momosea has the yips. Rankin and Rein should retire. Rodwell is strong, but not like he was before he got injured.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
OK I'm back. Post is set. Concrete going off. I see this game is being played with semi final like intensity judging from the score. I'll read back through the thread and catch up.

Reserve grade is poor. Poorly coached. And how is it that that they have had all that ball
And be behind ? A Shit half back would have had us in front. So bad

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Someone from here I think it was @hindy111 was advised by his contacts that we haven’t got any quality coming through for a couple of seasons. This generation from reserve grade from what I can see are bog average. Seriously where did it go all wrong?
2020 forced budget cuts on owners like the PLC, while private owners got richer during Covid. Leagues Club spending on rugby league was building until a big dropoff in 2020:

Well we don't spend as much money as them. Why would our peak be as high as theirs? The Panthers spend so much outside the cap they brought back a coach with a win rate lower than 50%, who had missed the finals seven times in 12 years, just so they could re-sign his son. They spend a phenomenal amount of money on rugby league: https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2022/05/02/panthers-reveal-the-price-of-success/

This includes a $22M HQ facility: https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2016/03/30/panthers-open-$22-million-academy/

Meanwhile we don't even own our training ground. You're comparing apples with oranges. However in good news we upped our football related spend from $7.5M to $11.8M last year (compared to Penrith's $17M).

The thing is, this spending needs to be sustained, like Penrith has been able to do. Here's the Eels' football-related expenses in recent years:

2016: $9.1M
2017: $6.3M
2018: $8.3M
2019: $10.0M
2020: $5.9M
2021: $7.5M
2022: $11.8M

https://www.parraleagues.com.au/annual-report/

We only just recovered last year, but the benefits won't be seen straight away, as hindyeleven's little birds confirmed.

Latest posts