What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knock-on Effect NSW Cup - Eels Team

Delboy

First Grade
According to Pou, if you are 19 and haven’t made senior footy you are gone. Then you see what happens with a team full of young forwards getting punished, that’s because they haven’t matured yet. They need to harden to playing against seasoned professionals, but he knows best.

Is Lidcombe Oval on a downhill slope ffs?? That was quite unbelievable to watch. And that’s just the appetiser for the shit sandwich getting served tonight. #CaylosGottaGo

Delboy

First Grade
it confirms the awful job done in recruit,ent for the last few seasons, no depth in the backs at all, lose one centre and unable to cover that position. Young forwards with no experience and the most experienced player in the forwards an absolute potato , and Greig forced to do more than usual. Hope that Ryles grabs the opportunity to get recruitment more professional and accountable.

At least the forwards stepping up from age footy get a sense of where they need to get to.

EelEtric

Juniors
it confirms the awful job done in recruit,ent for the last few seasons, no depth in the backs at all, lose one centre and unable to cover that position. Young forwards with no experience and the most experienced player in the forwards an absolute potato , and Greig forced to do more than usual. Hope that Ryles grabs the opportunity to get recruitment more professional and accountable.
Makes you wonder why BA didnt want to recruit depth in the backs at all.

JokerEel

Coach
According to Pou, if you are 19 and haven’t made senior footy you are gone. Then you see what happens with a team full of young forwards getting punished, that’s because they haven’t matured yet. They need to harden to playing against seasoned professionals, but he knows best.

No no no

According to Pou if you mention a player and say they won't make it as they are 21 he will tell you they will make it age doesn't have anything to do with it... But if you say a player is 21 and is going to make it he will argue that the player is too old and has missed his chances..

Pou logic

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I like him as a player but unsure if he’ll make it to first grade. Maybe slightly too small/slow for the next level but consistently making metres and tackles his ringer off so is priceless for any footy team. The thing is does Guymer or Pryke offer the same with more upside? Regardless I hope he makes it!
He's 22 this year and in his first full season of reserve grade, though he did play a few games last year, at 21.

By comparison, here's when the rest of our forwards played their first game of open age footy, as well as their first full season:

!!!!!WARNING!!!!! !!!!!ACTUAL DATA!!!!!

MerkinAge in 2024Reserve grade/NRL debut ageReserve grade/NRL full season age
Ofahengaue2920 (NRL)20 (NRL)
Paulo3120 (NRL)21 (NRL)
Campbell-Gillard312122 (NRL)
Arthur191819
Guymer201920
Cartwright302021
Doorey241921
Keir262121
Lane302121
Lussick292121
Mataele221921
Matterson302121
Ogden282021
Parker222122
Tuilagi251922
Greig252023
Hands252023
Hopgood252023
Makatoa312123
Moretti241923
Pryke2020N/A
Brazel2120N/A
Smith, Ryley2120N/A
Tupou2120N/A
Latu2121N/A

I would say the final column is the best indicator of NRL potential. Obviously the data isn't perfect; there is bias in the sense that youngsters are more likely to get a game in crappy teams. And while the trend is evident, there are outliers. Keir isn't as good as his early career trajectory suggests, while Hopgood is much better than his would have predicted.

Which reiterates that this is predictive, not deterministic. What this means, for the dumb merkins (and @Delboy), is that it shows a trend not an absolute rule. So don't get pissy when I write off some slow developing player. He might prove me wrong (and if it's at our club I hope he does), but history shows he probably won't. In short, we should be getting our hopes up over Guymer and Arthur, not Latu and Ryley Smith. But it's not too late for any of these guys, including Brock Parker.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No no no

According to Pou if you mention a player and say they won't make it as they are 21 he will tell you they will make it age doesn't have anything to do with it... But if you say a player is 21 and is going to make it he will argue that the player is too old and has missed his chances..

Pou logic
Mate I follow the data. You keep hoping and wishing, and then wonder why these junior 'stars' never make it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
According to Pou, if you are 19
and haven’t made senior footy you are gone.
*probably not going to make it, but you might
Then you see what happens with a team full of young forwards getting punished, that’s because they haven’t matured yet. They need to harden to playing against seasoned professionals, but he knows best.
That's what this grade is for ffs. Nobody cares if they win. They are here to learn how to become first graders. They're not going to learn anything in Flegg.

JokerEel

Coach
Mate I follow the data. You keep hoping and wishing, and then wonder why these junior 'stars' never make it.

Lussick
Hodgson
Jirah

You backed on your f**king data...

All f**king plod...

Going to block your stupid ass now and will unblock once you actually start having proper conversations.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Lussick
Hodgson
Jirah

You backed on your f**king data...

All f**king plod...
Hodgson was a gun who got badly injured between when we signed him and when he arrived at the club. The other two were backups. Here's what I said about Momoisea before he even got to our club:
We were hoping for Fuifui Moimoisea but instead got Jake Mamosea
Here's what I said about Lussick when you idiots were pissing your knickers after he left:
If Lussick had played the Penrith wingers would've carved us up through the middle. The game could've been over at halftime.
Momoisea and Lussick are backups. Of course they have deficiencies in their game.

Player recruitment/retention is like investing or punting. You don't need to guess right every time, you just need to guess right most of the time. That's why I talk about data samples, not cherry picking three players to try and make a point.
Going to block your stupid ass now and will unblock once you actually start having proper conversations.
Oh no please don't

Latest posts