What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knock-on Effect NSW Cup - Eels Team

oldmancraigy

Coach
We still use a strongly up and in defence on the right side, and Elder Hopoate has also struggled there at times. Playing on the left Morgan only really has to worry about his own man. He's been good on the left, in fact he has defended better than Willie Tonga did in his last month or two. Though I'd say Tonga has been carrying an injury for a while.

Anyway Tonga won't be here next year, and there's no way a rookie will play centre ahead of Morgan. None of ours are good enough defensively. That's not to say we won't let Morgan go at the end of next year. A full year in reserve grade (with a couple of appearances in firsts when Hopoate gets injured) should have Toutai/Goodall/Folau somewhat up to standard, defensively.

So they might be grooming them to play centres next year ;-)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
No doubt thats why Goodall was moved from the wing to the centres recently.

Morgan will be cannon fodder next season at some stage.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I haven't seen a lot of moeroa but someone did mention he is quite quick. Considering all the options we have at edge forward, is moeroa a potential option / backup for the centre spot for next year?

Wouldn't be the first young forward to play a bit of centre early in his career.

With his superior speed and footwork I'd say Manu Ma'u will play centre before Moeroa. Ma'u played some centre in a trial earlier this year.

I'm with Pou - Moeroa looks too 'bulky' to play centres - his lateral movement + agility doesn't quite seem to be there, seems to have 'built himself' into a nice wide running 2nd rower shape.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
lol, Moeroa actually

Have to admit though, I am not fan or Morgs, terrible hands, struggles to catch and/or pass.

He can run though and beat an opponent, belongs on the wing for mine.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah because you want wingers that can't catch.

The best thing about Morgan is his defence. That makes him a centre. The fact he is in the top two defensive centres in the club (at least with Tonga 'injured' or just plain gone) means he is in the top two centres in the club outright.

Goodall and Folau could be playing centre at Wenty for a couple of reasons, and one of those is that we need at least three players able to defend at centre (because of injury, Origin, etc) and at the moment we only have two that are proven in senior footy on contract for next year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The difference is we decide where, when and how often a butterfingers centre attempts to catch the ball. A fumbling winger or a centre that f**ks up in defence is at the mercy of opposition targeting.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Do you really think his defence is good Pou???

He has good stats on tackle %, because he goes 2nd or 3rd man in on tackles in the middle third, but then is out of position for the following play (if they attack blind side again) - resulting in a 'scramble', and leaving his winger on an island facing a 2 on 1. If they cut back against the grain, Morgan can flop off when his opponent is bigger and stronger.
I don't know what evidence there is statistically to show this (would it be a low number of 1 on 1s, but a high number of missed/ ineffectives? I don't know) - and it might not even be true, but it's the impression I get every time I watch him (hasn't changed in years).

Watch him this weekend, you'll notice him sneaking into the middle third when he doesn't need to.

Delboy

First Grade
Pou, I don't understand how you think Morgan is a good defender

His stats my be that , just stats, when you watch the game, he gets beat regularly and falls off his mark repeatedly. He does come in and finish tackles when players are held, but one on one he is no Tonga.

Let's hope that the coaching staff can improve his defence, that is why he may not be a regular starter

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yeah because you want wingers that can't catch.

The best thing about Morgan is his defence. That makes him a centre. The fact he is in the top two defensive centres in the club (at least with Tonga 'injured' or just plain gone) means he is in the top two centres in the club outright.

Goodall and Folau could be playing centre at Wenty for a couple of reasons, and one of those is that we need at least three players able to defend at centre (because of injury, Origin, etc) and at the moment we only have two that are proven in senior footy on contract for next year.
So why have you been championing Toutai's cause on the wing??? His hands are far worse than Morgs and his finishing skills are non existent.........

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So why have you been championing Toutai's cause on the wing??? His hands are far worse than Morgs and his finishing skills are non existent.........

All Toutai's mistakes are in the opposition half. They are mistakes that we control - when we decide to pass him the ball under pressure. His ability to field kicks (when the opposition decide to put him under pressure) has been good in the latter part of the year.

I agree his finishing needs some work, but as for his defence, the way we defend on the right means the winger has to come in. That was no different on Saturday when our third right side winger for the year also allowed his opposite to make a few breaks.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
All Toutai's mistakes are in the opposition half. They are mistakes that we control - when we decide to pass him the ball under pressure. His ability to field kicks (when the opposition decide to put him under pressure) has been good in the latter part of the year.

I agree his finishing needs some work, but as for his defence, the way we defend on the right means the winger has to come in. That was no different on Saturday when our third right side winger for the year also allowed his opposite to make a few breaks.
Must have missed the Souths game when he dropped a bomb that lead to a try and just let Johnston run around him untouched to score in the corner. I agree i think he has been better this year and he there is plenty to like about him but he still a work in progress.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He didn't drop any bombs, he was beaten in the air by Kyle Turner who (as the attacking player near the opposition tryline) was able to snatch at the ball with minimal consequence. As for Johnston, he is very fast and would have scored past any merkin in that situation. In fact he has made a habit of it this year.

With Souths' huge pack they can afford to carry a smallish winger purely for his speed and finishing. We don't have that luxury, as shown by every winger contracted for next year being over 100kg.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Ok, this is what we're talking about with Morgan: EDIT: (except the example I've provided is of Hopoate. D'oh)

Defence lines up, it is 3 on 3, Morgan clearly sees what is happening and points to his second rower to cover their second rower (who has the ball)

MorganD1.png

We advance play, there is some sliding, but it is apparent that the gap between Morgan and his second rower is far smaller than that between Morgan and his winger - he has been 'sucked in' by watching the ball.

MorganD2.jpg

Advance play, Wade Graham is well covered by Pauli Pauli, but Morgan has forgotten to slide, he sits just on the outside shoulder of Graham, but (as we will see) a long way from his opposing centre. He has left his winger on an island, with 2 attackers lined up against him.

MorganD3.jpg

Advance play, Faraimo has had to make a decision, he commits to the ball, you can see Morgan is STILL inside the line of Faraimo, and has given him no chance.

MorganD4-1.jpg

Morgan will twice miss Holmes on the desperate cover defence, but the play is lost well before then.

Last edited: