What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KOE (ex Canterbury Cup) and Jersey Flegg

getsmarty

Immortal
generic_story_screens2.jpeg

JUNIOR REPS

Dragons on the lookout for 'homestay' accommodation
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 4 Dec 2020, 07:42 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons are currently looking for 'homestay' accommodation for some of our junior players who have moved to the Illawarra region from out of the area.

The costs associated with housing these players is subsidised by the St George Illawarra Dragons.

If you would like more information, or if your family, or someone you know, may have a spare room and would be interested in assisting one of these young players, please contact the club's wellbeing officer Scott Stewart via email – sstewart@dragons.com.au.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/12/04/dragons-on-the-lookout-for-homestay-accommodation/

denis preston

First Grade
Good idea to increase Flegg to U21 , late developers get a chance to impress before thrown on the scrapheap. CC Coach Aitkin comes to club with Illawarra league coaching experience which reminds me of someone else ( who i must have blotted out of my mind ) who spent time at the club, so what could go wrong ?

BLM01

First Grade
Good idea to increase Flegg to U21 , late developers get a chance to impress before thrown on the scrapheap. CC Coach Aitkin comes to club with Illawarra league coaching experience which reminds me of someone else ( who i must have blotted out of my mind ) who spent time at the club, so what could go wrong ?
He is not from Wests Illawarra which is a plus in your thinking.
He was coaching at the Helensburgh Tigers and he ceratinly does not have tickets on himself as some other coaches who won 3 comps in a row in the Illawarra League

Drakon

Juniors
Hi George,
Any more info on Elijuwhon?

zlyvvFnXogtqUuKuO7tK.jpg

Back Row, from left - Deijion Leugaimafa, 18 (two year contract South Sydney Rabbitohs); Elijuwhon Suavai, 18 (two year contract St George Dragons); Waylon Fiaii, 18 (train and trial with Cronulla Sharks). Front Row, from left - Evander Tere-Rongotaua, 18 (two year contract to Sydney Roosters); Ilai Tuia, 18 (train and trial Penrith Panthers).

SPORT
Five golden boys graduate Ipswich High with NRL contracts
Oct 28 2020Updated October 28, 2020

Ivy Mullins

Ipswich State High student Elijuwhon Suavai will begin the next chapter after high school on the football field after signing a two year deal with the Illawarra Dragons.

Elijuwhon signed the contract this month and is the fifth boy this year in

Subscribe to Fassifern Guardian & Tribune to read the full story.

https://www.fassifernguardian.com/sport/five-golden-boys-graduate-ipswich-high-with-nrl-contracts

George Dragon

Juniors
Hi George,

zlyvvFnXogtqUuKuO7tK.jpg

Back Row, from left - Deijion Leugaimafa, 18 (two year contract South Sydney Rabbitohs); Elijuwhon Suavai, 18 (two year contract St George Dragons); Waylon Fiaii, 18 (train and trial with Cronulla Sharks). Front Row, from left - Evander Tere-Rongotaua, 18 (two year contract to Sydney Roosters); Ilai Tuia, 18 (train and trial Penrith Panthers).

SPORT

Ivy Mullins

Ipswich State High student Elijuwhon Suavai will begin the next chapter after high school on the football field after signing a two year deal with the Illawarra Dragons.

https://www.fassifernguardian.com/sport/five-golden-boys-graduate-ipswich-high-with-nrl-contracts

Not much mate
I didn't know he was signed, I don’t believe he has joined the Flegg squad yet.
I did watch a Ipswich high game a few months back, he came off the bench as a frontrow rotation.

denis preston

First Grade
Not much mate
I didn't know he was signed, I don’t believe he has joined the Flegg squad yet.
I did watch a Ipswich high game a few months back, he came off the bench as a frontrow rotation.

This is good to see.Yes we have great juniors but when a position is not covered in these junior reps we go looking for them as in this case and previously with Lomax , Schiller the fergels etc. AND to be fair the club has been doing this for years.

George Dragon

Juniors
Hi George,

zlyvvFnXogtqUuKuO7tK.jpg

SPORT

Ivy Mullins

Elijah came down on the weekend and has started training with the Dragons SG Ball squad.

possm

Coach
Once we have first class juniors playing in our NRL and Canterbury Cup teams, there will be less need for us to go chasing/recruiting high priced players. Recruiting juniors to fill the gaps in our gravy train is a far less costly and much less risky way to go. The secret will be to have a highly professional coaching development program who provide these players with the skills to step up to NRL standard.

We are now getting a hint of what this is like with the likes of Lomax, Ramsey, Clune and Sullivan on their way. Compare this to the desperate signings over the past eight years and you can see the merits of the policy of identifying and developing our juniors to the highest skill level possible.

denis preston

First Grade
Once we have first class juniors playing in our NRL and Canterbury Cup teams, there will be less need for us to go chasing/recruiting high priced players. Recruiting juniors to fill the gaps in our gravy train is a far less costly and much less risky way to go. The secret will be to have a highly professional coaching development program who provide these players with the skills to step up to NRL standard.

We are now getting a hint of what this is like with the likes of Lomax, Ramsey, Clune and Sullivan on their way. Compare this to the desperate signings over the past eight years and you can see the merits of the policy of identifying and developing our juniors to the highest skill level possible.

Poss, agree but its not just our local juniors. It's identifying talent outside and bringing them in to our junior ( rep ) sides.This is where Lomax, Feagel boys, Ramsey ,Schiller etc came from. We haven't been bad at this in defence of the previous regime but it wouldn't be fully tested as Mcgoat wouldn't pick them.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons generation next out to follow Panthers blueprint
Dragons Den
r0_0_4537_3054_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

SLICK: Jayden Sullivan. Picture: NRL Imagery
LOOKING in-house worked for the Panthers in 2020 and St George Illawarra could do a lot worse than follow the blueprint given the glut of talent coming through the ranks in Wollongong.

Fans got a glimpse of it last week in the Dragons first trial outing, with the likes of Jayden Sullivan, Mat and Max Feagai, Junior Amone, Josh Coric and Tyrell Sloan all turning heads with their performances.

It was first in the full red v for the home-grown crop, but would've felt pretty familiar given all were part of the Illawarra Steelers side that claimed the 2019 SG Ball title. COVID slowed them up in 2020, though Sullivan and Max Feagai got a taste of top grade action.

The development pathway may not fully bear fruit this season, but long-suffering Dragons fans will be hoping they can emulate the likes of Nathan Cleary, Jarome Luai, Stephen Crichton, Liam Martin and Brian To'o in carrying junior success through to NRL level.

It runs contrary to statistics that show even the most successful junior rep teams ultimately produce just one or two NRL players, but Sullivan sees no reason the Steelers class of 2019 can't front a fresh generation for the club.

"I actually remember that talk," Sullivan said.

"Someone from the NRL came down and gave us that statistics talk and it was bit of a shock to us because it's every kid's dream to play NRL. For Max and I, and Cody [Rasmey], to achieve that [first grade] goal last season was awesome.

"Seeing how good Tyrell, Junior, the [Feagai] twins are all going is exciting to see because I played all my junior reps with all of them. I was lucky enough to captain our SG Ball team and I've got a really close bond with pretty much all the boys in that team. You saw how good they went in the trial and I just thought 'wow, we can really make something special here'."

All will be back in action against Parramatta on Thursday night, a squad that also includes returning local junior in Jack Bird and new addition Andrew McCullough.

There's no doubting the fact that Sullivan has been the most exciting prospect for the red v faithful, with many clamouring for the 19-year-old to get a start in round one after he escaped suspension for a dangerous throw with an early guilty plea on Tuesday.

Read more: McCullough to Dragons officially a done deal

In reality, he's tipped to sit behind veteran pair Ben Hunt and Corey Norman - though an NRL Integrity Unit investigation into latter's involvement in a Crounulla street brawl could see him facing suspension.

It could see Sullivan retain his spot after debuting in round 20 last season, but the Port Kembla product had a somewhat surprising answer when asked if he was gunning for a starting jersey in his side's season-opener.

"I'll happily sit behind anyone just as long as the team's playing well," Sullivan said.

"It's obviously the goal to play six or seven but I'm no rush, I'm 19 and I'm just loving playing footy. I had the one [NRL] game last year but pretty much went the whole year without playing.

"I played the Nines at the start of the year and injured myself before the trials so I didn't play any trials and didn't end up playing [NSW] Cup or 20s. I was lucky enough to get my debut in round 20 against the Storm and it was just good to get an opportunity to show some of the boys I can play footy, because I still haven't even played reserve grade yet."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ration-next-out-to-follow-panthers-blueprint/