What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KOE (ex Canterbury Cup) and Jersey Flegg

Parko1310

Juniors
I think Ackers was carrying an injury all through the later part of the season, so I reckon thats holding him up.. there is no way he wont move up, hes one of NRL Dev players right now.

DragonsSteve confirmed Jesse Williams doesnt have an injury.. so that I find very strange..apparently his manager is chasing a new deal now.. but surprised he didnt move straight into Flegg or Cup.
You would think they'll slowly trickle players into Flegg. I don't think you can promote too many at once, remembering that all of these guys will be in the lower age bracket in Flegg. You risk them getting beaten up and some big scores put on them, and them losing confidence (which the STG players will have in abundance atm given they just won the comp). I think LKT looks to be handling Flegg so far. Buchanan I'm sure will as well, and I think Loko and Latu will handle it fine as well. But I'd probably just give those guys a couple weeks and get them used to playing a grade up before promoting others who will need an adjustment period as well. I have no doubt we'll see Halangahu, Williams, Reed, Stanley-Trail, and maybe even guys like Hutchinson and Afu later on in the year in Flegg. A couple of these guys will be playing cup by the end of the year also

TheRev

First Grade
Hutch said in the podcast that Sharkies and Dogs also wanted him to come and trial

stanley sweet talked him to the Dragons
I am just listening to it now and came here to say that.. Kyle Stanleys career was cut short in the NRL.. but hes kicking goals in pathways!

Didnt realise Hutchinson was another guy plucked from QLD.

Great listen.. these boys talk about them starting 4 weeks earlier than most teams.. the homework they do on their opposition.. good on em..

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
I am just listening to it now and came here to say that.. Kyle Stanleys career was cut short in the NRL.. but hes kicking goals in pathways!

Didnt realise Hutchinson was another guy plucked from QLD.

Great listen.. these boys talk about them starting 4 weeks earlier than most teams.. the homework they do on their opposition.. good on em..
Kyle & Willie , the quite achievers .

TheRev

First Grade
Finau not playing in Flegg now either, they've changed the team list. Not sure why he isn't playing
Maybe some niggles? Unless hes moving into Cup.. Latu is younger though.. so I suppose they might choose to take their time.. but seems pretty ready.. surely a couple more of these boys, including Hutchinson could be on the Flegg bench. Halangahu isnt mentioned anywhere either now I think about it.

denis preston

First Grade
Maybe some niggles? Unless hes moving into Cup.. Latu is younger though.. so I suppose they might choose to take their time.. but seems pretty ready.. surely a couple more of these boys, including Hutchinson could be on the Flegg bench. Halangahu isnt mentioned anywhere either now I think about it.
Another poster has noted he is still 17

TheRev

First Grade
Another poster has noted he is still 17
Halangahu? He must be close to 18 (was 17 in Sep when we signed him), I rly wish they had birthdates up there, im constantly trying to sleuth what age bracket they r eligible for. I think it was him on the podcast earlier saying how much of a step up the speed of SG was from HM, the physicality didnt bother him, just the endurance needed.

Perhaps they will wait for an injury to move him up.. but he is NRL dev next year...need to keep testing him imo.. but we would need to move Stewart and/or NickT up a grade first.. which imo should have already happened.. Russell &/or Shereb can be moved out early.

Last edited:
You would think they'll slowly trickle players into Flegg. I don't think you can promote too many at once, remembering that all of these guys will be in the lower age bracket in Flegg. You risk them getting beaten up and some big scores put on them, and them losing confidence (which the STG players will have in abundance atm given they just won the comp)....
Yes, last year they promoted too many at once and it didn't turn out well. I think they might have that fresh in their minds.

Parko1310

Juniors
Halangahu? He must be close to 18 (was 17 in Sep when we signed him), I rly wish they had birthdates up there, im constantly trying to sleuth what age bracket they r eligible for. I think it was him on the podcast earlier saying how much of a step up the speed of SG was from HM, the physicality didnt bother him, just the endurance needed.

Perhaps they will wait for an injury to move him up.. but he is NRL dev next year...need to keep testing him imo.. but we would need to move Stewart and/or NickT up a grade first.. which imo should have already happened.. Russell &/or Shereb can be moved out early.
I wouldn't worry too much about it.. Halangahu will end up in cup by the end of the year, it's just a timing thing. He's top 30 next year as well, so he's skipped T&T and Supp squads and gone straight into the top 30 for 2025.

Russell, Shereb, Coric will end up making way for sure later in the year, they obviously aren't part of our plans, nor should they be.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.. Halangahu will end up in cup by the end of the year, it's just a timing thing. He's top 30 next year as well, so he's skipped T&T and Supp squads and gone straight into the top 30 for 2025.

Russell, Shereb, Coric will end up making way for sure later in the year, they obviously aren't part of our plans, nor should they be.
He'll play Flegg first. Flegg are going OK on the ladder. They could have a finals run. Playing really well in Flegg would be better for his development than struggling in Cup. Some of these kids will probably play some Cup this year, but a Flegg finals run can be a good preparation for grade next year. Jahreem Bula didn't play any NSW Cup in 2022, he just played Flegg the whole year (he was 20 at the time). He played 3 games of Cup at the start of 2023 and then had a great year of first grade.

I don't think Russell will make way. They'll keep him playing, because if we get a ton of injuries, he's able to do a job in first grade this year. He's clearly not in the long term plans, but we need some depth cover for this year. We've had very low levels of player unavailability this year. That could change.

Parko1310

Juniors
He'll play Flegg first. Flegg are going OK on the ladder. They could have a finals run. Playing really well in Flegg would be better for his development than struggling in Cup. Some of these kids will probably play some Cup this year, but a Flegg finals run can be a good preparation for grade next year. Jahreem Bula didn't play any NSW Cup in 2022, he just played Flegg the whole year (he was 20 at the time). He played 3 games of Cup at the start of 2023 and then had a great year of first grade.

I don't think Russell will make way. They'll keep him playing, because if we get a ton of injuries, he's able to do a job in first grade this year. He's clearly not in the long term plans, but we need some depth cover for this year. We've had very low levels of player unavailability this year. That could change.
I'm talking right at the back end of the year. I expect some of these guys to get a couple games of cup. In terms of Russell, he is behind Leilua, Su'a, RFM, R Couchman, Dylan Egan and you could argue even maybe BMM for an edge role. I don't expect us to be in finals contention at the end of the year at all, so assuming this, not playing Russell for the last 2 or 3 games of cup won't have any potential impact on us

I'm talking right at the back end of the year. I expect some of these guys to get a couple games of cup. In terms of Russell, he is behind Leilua, Su'a, RFM, R Couchman, Dylan Egan and you could argue even maybe BMM for an edge role. I don't expect us to be in finals contention at the end of the year at all, so assuming this, not playing Russell for the last 2 or 3 games of cup won't have any potential impact on us
Yeah, I agree that it could happen in the last couple of weeks.

Parko1310

Juniors
Stood down because of City/Country?
Don't think that is until next weekend, so still not sure. Maybe because it will be more physical in the middle for him in both Flegg and city v country than SG and they don't want to increase workload too much? Could explain why Buchanan is still playing as the centres is obviously a bit less physical. Can't really think of what other reason it would be for

TheRev

First Grade
Just realised the cup game is on fox/kayo @12.40pm, but im really bummed about the side they r running out.. not one kid got moved up from Flegg or SG.. just bog average players, esp if Toby/MMolo dont play.. and not sure on Mat Feagai yet...

Just dont feel like we are hungry to unearth the young talent, I reckon a bunch of them will leave over the off-season.. I know slow and steady is best for a lot of kids.. but so many young 19-20yr olds are finding their way in the NRL at almost every other club... and I reckon we have a bunch of em in our system that could make it if we moved on a few mediocre ones blocking their path.