What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KOE (ex Canterbury Cup) and Jersey Flegg

Dragons4me

Juniors
Good win by the Dragons 26-6 in horrendous conditions. Better 2nd half (obviously) as they seemd to run with more purpose. Completion rate 30/41. "You're so much better to live with when the Dragons win" said my missus just now. Love you too 😘 (I think 🤔)

Good win by the Dragons 26-6 in horrendous conditions. Better 2nd half (obviously) as they seemd to run with more purpose. Completion rate 30/41. "You're so much better to live with when the Dragons win" said my missus just now. Love you too 😘 (I think 🤔)
Souths defended very strongly in the middle at the start of the game. They couldn't sustain it, and fell off in the 2nd half. That made it easier to run with purpose. Especially in the last 20 minutes.

TheRev

First Grade
My thoughts on KOE Today:
o Great to get a win again, lost the last 3 games in mostly unlucky fashion.. we should be much higher on the ladder
o Souths had 1 Top 30 member in their squad, we had 12.. that takes a lot of the gloss off the win in the sense they were part-timers and flegg kids... and they defended with more impact than us early and tbh even sometimes later
o Somehow Souths were swallowing up our attacking waves, but we should have adjusted and we really didnt.. needed more stuff like HFinaus dart out of dummy half.
o We left a lot of points out there to be fair, ref called a literal backwards pass forward, AlecT somehow got held up over the line..
o Individually Matt Feagai was rly safe in the wet under the bomb and stopped a 40-20, I still feel we r just wasting that #1 dev jersey though, but cant fault Matt.
o Tamale finished rly well, his intentions r good, he needs to work on not standing so upright in his carries though, he hits hard but hes so upright they all just grab him and carry him.. thats something he will fix, he came up with a great try-assist and a try later, tbh probably the difference between the 2 sides..
o RyanC was solid, big metres again in the middle, though his style is like a weaving bobbing trying to get in between players.. he normally plays 2nd row.. compared to AlecT who just flattens them.. big body..
o I still dont rly get the Glover love, marshke was up and down but seemed to work it out as the game went on, but we need a bit more zip or creativity out of our 7, not just shovelling the ball out.

Overall good win but still sometimes question the purpose of playing so many guys who are on the way out, Russell and Shereb in particular, maybe MaxF, the purpose of this grade is our injury backup but also player development.

TheRev

First Grade
we are talking about Russell? He was our 2nd rower last year before Flanno bought 3 more over the top of him.. his ceiling is reserve grade is all.. those cup 2nd row spots are going to be hotly contested next year... hopefully earlier.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
I thought he meant Egan
Egan tackles everything but I don't think he takes enough hit-ups. He should be pushing for a minimum of 12 runs a game.

Those looking at stats will see he made 2 errors. 1 of those was bad, but pretty common in wet conditions. The other he was trying to grab a hospital pass offload with someone already under his ribs, not much he could have done about that.

TheRev

First Grade
Ah Egan, he looks Blonde but maybe he is also a Ranga.. we will need to confirm that.

RyanC/NickT are my starting 2nd rowers in cup (assuming they arent playing 1st grade), Egan would be next.. hes only 19 or 20 so I think he is still finding his place.. im not sure he is enough of an attacking weapon to make it as a 2nd rower though.. they compare him to Martin, and maybe in terms of workrate, kick chase etc he is.. but Martin moves fast and punches holes... Egan might end up a Prop yet imo, but too early to know, and there are plenty of young props to compete against also.

Egan and Fifita had all the hype from the club after pre-season. Then nothing. Not a good look for people who are in the business of spotting talent.
Fifita has been well below par for NSW Cup both this year and last. Whoever hyped him up would be a bit embarassed.

It's a different case with Egan. He is just a kid, and he is doing a decent job in NSW Cup. There aren't many 19-year-olds who can hold down a spot in the forwards in NSW Cup.