What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KOE (ex Canterbury Cup) and Jersey Flegg

Dragon David

First Grade
I thought Sloan wasnt kicking stones.. he was trying (especially early).. its just what ive seen last time he spent time in cup.. hes the same guy.. the same things that hold him back in 1sts hold him back here.. even though he should in theory dominate at this level...

Ravalawa I mean his carries r good.. he went for some of his trademark sideline "no-right-to-go-there" tries.. and every time he got put into touch basically.. it just doesnt seem to work for him anymore.. either hes not as strong as he used to be.. or the defence is reading him better.. dunno.. he also wasnt kicking stones though.. hes the same guy we see in 1st grade.. Bird sort of the same really trying, couple of good and coupla bad moments.. 1 silly penalty..

Probably theyre all a lil guilty of a few too many hero plays.. but I mean someone has to generate points..
Just have to see if those 3 players shine in the next KOE Cup game I guess. I don't know what Flanno or Woolf have got planned for those 3 players in terms of improving them in the areas that they are not good at. In the case of Sloan for instance, how do they prepare him to effectively tackle in a one on one situation. Do they get him to practise with the technique and who is to say that the guy showing him how it is done is the man skilled to show him and how does the trainer know if it is effective enough - wait until game day to see if it works? I dunno!

Bird has been playing league for years and has won a premiership. I don't think he needs to learn anything more - maybe not to make too many mistakes and give away penalties. His ability now to be effective and to give good service to me has been hampered through injuries and not really had the full year say of being in the one position to dedicate all of his knowledge to compete in that same position. I am sure that in 2016 when Flanno and Bird won that premiership, Flanno had Bird in the centres for all of the year (I'm not too sure though) and he was great. 2016 I know was a long time ago in football time. Aging, strength and fitness, injuries, drop in form, it happens to most guys. It's like they have been handicapped like racehorses are and over time the weight of it all gets to them.

Ravalara has gone missing this year in particular. Whether or not it is his attitude or his heart is not really in it or Flanno just doesn't think that his style is what he wants from a winger, again I dunno. He is looking like he will not be with us next year in firsts anyway.

The other guy that has dropped down heavily in the rankings is Lawrie. He has really turned into a dud. I couldn't see him being much a few seasons back and I think that he isn't worth keeping but who will take him or better still, can someone improve him? Could Bellamy make him a better player? He could but not by much I don't think.