What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Koukask in RFL coup attempt

WireMan

Bench
Catalans didn't replace Paris. There was a decade between the sides

Yes they did. It took the incompetent rfl that long to do it however.

How much do you think the tv contract should be worth?

At the time sky are losing sports all over and new markets are opening the rfl sold the game down the river.
An 8 year deal with a 300k bribe to failing clubs to get it through.

180 million for 8 years which sees your sport relegated to below Indian cricket and darts with one brief highlights show a week is a stackable offence on its own.

roughyedspud

Coach
I really don't know how super league clubs can whinge when ALL of their salary cap will be paid for them out of the next tv deal...as well as money being fed down to support the championship & league one...obviously a win win deal isn't good enough..

Im all for a increase in the salary cap too now that the ESL clubs will get all of the current cap of £1.85m paid for them..im all for it going upto £2.3m straight away..

Maybe if marwan rallied support for his causes,like he did for the marquee player rule (which hasn't really worked out btw) and got the 12 chairman to sit down and actually discuss what they can all afford the salary cap to go upto then the RFL will have too listen...

But when marwan goes all 12 monkeys batshit crazy rambling like a lost patient from the bottom block everyone just turns their back on him...i mean catalans statement today was funny as f**k lol

Last edited:
Do you think MK has much support among other Super League chairman/owners?
What do a majority of UK Rugby League fans think of his proposals?

roughyedspud

Coach
he hasn't proposed anything though...

the general consensus was most clubs would have back him,in his call for a vote of no confidence,leeds & widnes would'nt apparently,think we can chuck catalan in the no camp now too...but because of his wild rant i think some of the yes camp are likely to step back from koukash now..

and some of the things he ranted about are just plain wrong..like the lack of expansion..erm..south wales,coventry,oxford,toulouse,gloucester,bloody toronto..most people whinge at the RFL for being too expansive lol..

does ESL need admin staff to sort tv deal,sponsorship ect..yeah why not,if they think they can do better...but should ESL be a completely seperate entity to the RFL..ABSOLUTELY NOT..the RFL needs to be the primary RL body in this country and needs to have final say...and like i said above,if the 12 clubs all agree they can afford a salary cap rise,for example, and all their business plans are sound..the RFL will not say no.

but thats the problem hardly any of them agree on anything..so how are they supposed to run ESL?

WireMan

Bench
I agree with a lot of what you saying.

I am not a fan of koukash and the way he goes about his business will put other chairmen off.

The message is essentially correct though. There is a big problem at the top of the game. Certain elements put there own interests before everything else.
It would be a good start if the rfl was independent but the leadership is rather to close to one or two clubs.

WireMan

Bench

That is because he is toxic to be around and clubs don't want to break away.

It doesn't mean they like what is happening. The marquee rule went through easily enough and the reserve teams are back around.

The big job of developing the game is needed next and the current leadership are to entrenched into certain clubs and are not capable of doing it.

roughyedspud

Coach
The marquee rule took a couple of goes at getting through didn't it? Plus its not worked as designed has it..

WireMan

Bench
The marquee rule took a couple of goes at getting through didn't it? Plus its not worked as designed has it..

It shows the problem it took so long going through. No brainer.

You have to give it chance, it has only been around 5 mins and only one team (Wigan) have used it to get a player.

Hayne is currently on an Olympic trail but he may want to play rugby league again.
Even if he does not come to the super league, clubs can be in the conversation meaning positive publicity.

Next inglis, Thurston or Johnson contract? Who knows.
At the moment super league is where past it or problem players go.
The flow of top talent is going one way at the moment, until that changes it is a second class comp in a lot of people's eyes.

langpark

First Grade
To be fair, I don't mind him and I'd like to see him continue being involved and investing in the game. I just wish he'd have less of these unnecessary tantrums.

WireMan

Bench
All clubs have used the marquee rule...to take their top earner off the cap..

Im a fan of it btw

Yes clubs use it, but none have specifically used it to get a player except maybe Wigan to pay Tomkins.

Warrington have Soward but he was coming anyway, it just frees up cap. That is what I meant. No players have joined who couldn't join anyway.

If inglis comes on the market for a million next year a few clubs will be looking on with interest. He could potentially join a super league club. There are a few very wealthy people in the game.

Look at the ex nrl players in Europe playing union now. These become legitimate targets.

Inglid could go to Oldham if you win the euro lottery. :D

The rule makes sense to keep it even but gives teams the chance to go giddy on a player if they want. Which is always fun and what the game needs.
I am with you, I like it.

WireMan

Bench
To be fair, I don't mind him and I'd like to see him continue being involved and investing in the game. I just wish he'd have less of these unnecessary tantrums.

It is a strange one. I am not a big fan and he needs a press officer but we do need people like him in the game to shake things up.

I guess I want him in the game, just not at my club if you know what I mean.

If the game is growing as rapidly inEurope as has been claimed here then I hope we see the fruits of that at the next World Cup. The WC should be every 3 years. We don't have the luxury of four or five years between cups. We have to push the international game's agenda aggressively and make sure a player can only pick one nation to play for based on your origins. Not residency. Scotland, Wales and France all need to build strong squads.

Jankuloski

Juniors
Don't be so ambitious.. Our game is a very competitive one, so small differences in class are bound to create very large differences in results, unlike say football where Iceland can become darlings of the european cup. It is very unlikely to see a true upset in Rugby League. This is the main reason why a salary cap is not only nice, but necessary.

France have a team in Super League, and a semi pro domestic comp to boot, and they have no hope of beating the big three any time soon. Not only that, but the results will be 40 to 50 points difference, which isn't a compelling contest.

It's just the way the game is made, very fast and competitive in every aspect. The only way to get around that is to revert back to union style rules, that offer the weaker team the opportunity to take the lead by a lucky bounce and than obstruct the game afterwards, ping pong in union or catanaccio in football.

True progress is best felt off the field.