What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KRL deletions

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It was alocal debate in Australia when National Park and Wildlife officers wanted to kill off the feral Deer in Royal National Park
near Sydney.
The RNP is the 2nd oldest Nat Park in the world behind Yellowstone.

The Deer look very nice but they are an introduced species and were
stuffing up the vegetation and feeding habits of the native animals. The
lobby groups blocking attempts to cull the Deer saw it as shooting 'Bambi'.

Ozbash2

Juniors
http://www.fiordlandexpeditions.co.nz/hunting/hunting.html

its a very controversial topic here steve, some people still believe that the moose still exist in fiordland and there has been a lot of argument for and against.
on a recent tv programme, they showed amatuer video of an animal that was roughly twice the size of our red deer, but not conclusive enough to say it was a moose.
its a vast area,a lot of fiordland has never been explored yet so who knows ?
the conditions would certainly suit a moose..

we got much the same thing here willow. the red deer are really a pest in places and do a lot of damage as well as carry bovine TB.
course you cant tell that to the tree huggers..
nice to eat tho...

Ozbash2

Juniors
one of the silliest things i have ever seen was this american "hunter"who smeared in-season female moose/deer urine over himself during the annual roar/rut on tv .
a big stag/moose got wind of it and bloody near killed the silly bugger.
his mate got it on video.

C

CanadianSteve

Why or how were deer "introduced"? I recall seeing a tv show about a year ago about the problems feral animals in general were causing in Aus. I think it was in Queensland mainly. I'm fuzzy on the details, but were rabbits part of the problem? I'm not sure what feral means, or which animals are included in that. Are all feral animals introduced, and not native to Aus?

Were moose and deer introduced in NZ also?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
"Why or how were deer "introduced"? "
In the case of Royal National Park, The Deer were brought over by English settlers so they could have a familiar animal to look at and so they could have something to hunt. They also brought over plants and flowers that they liked the look of.
It still happens. A few years back,I caught a European friend of mine planting someGerman flowers in the Blue Mountains National Park. She said, 'how could anyone object to such a beautiful flower?' I should imagine the disregard for local flora was even worst in the 1800s.

Its the same with Rabbits and Foxes. They were brought over by some English settlers so they could something to hunt... originally in Victoria I believe. They're bloody everywhere now.
There's healthy population of Camels in northern Australia that are the offspring of Camel that escaped from early explorers. I say healthy because they are supposed to be the only Camels in the world which are free of certain diseases. Apparently, they are now being farmed and sent back to the Middle East and Africa.

Feral means domestic gone wild. But it gets used for pests as well.