What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kundus in Origin Curtain Raiser

The PNG Kundus (development team) face the Qld under 19s in a Origin curtain raiser tonight. It's on before the under 17s NSW v Qld game.

PAPUA NEW GUINEA KUNDUS
1. Jonno COOMBS
2. Dion AIYE
3. Max ROMANONG
4. Nigel NAAWI
5. Jason TALI
6. Keith PETERS
7. Wayne BOND
8. Noel WASO
9. Vernon KALYO
10. James NIGHTINGALE
11. Nathan DALY
12. Nos Gabriel JIM
13. Api WARIGESO
14. J LATUMAHINA
15. Willy SAMSON
16. Jeffrey PATI
17. Joe BOND
Coaches Chris ANARA and Bob BENNETT
Trainer Adrian LAM
Physio Matthew NATUSCH
Team Managers Sir Bob SINCLAIR and Bob CUTMORE
Team Doctor Dr. Peter HENDERSON

ali

Bench
I wonder how they picked this team. I wonder if Lam will bering any players back to Cronulla.
http://www.postcourier.com.pg/20060601/sport07.htm
Junior league gets help

BOC Papua New Guinea Ltd has again sponsored the 2006 Under-19 rugby league zone championships. BOC country manager, Bob Parrish recently presented Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League chief executive officer, Jeff Wade, a cheque for K50,000, to run the championships. This follows BOC Gas’s tradition of sponsoring league in PNG, with the company last year sponsoring the same event and previously sponsoring a Lae league side, the now defunct Souths. The BOC Gas Under-19 zone championships are to be held at the newly upgraded Madang field in late July the new home of the Mabey & Johnson Muruks. The four zones are Islands, Highlands, Northern (Lae and Madang) and Southern (Port Moresby). Each zone will hold their own regional championships with the best teams in each region competing for K1000 courtesy of BOC Gas. From the local zones, a regional zone side will be selected and these players will travel to Madang to compete in the BOC Gas Under 19 championship. The Northern Zone are the holders of this trophy having won the tournament last year in Lae. BOC were also sponsored the recent tour to Cairns by the PNG Kundus.

Dunno how they picked it. Most of the players are Australian based though there may be a couple of PNG residents.

Apparently the game started at 4.30 so it should be just about finished. Hopefully someone who is at Lang Park can tell us a bit about the game and any of the players later on. Wish I was there.

ali

Bench
nadera78 said:
I make it 7 domestic-based players, but there are a couple in the 17 that I'm not sure about.

I turned on the ABC just as they were discussing the game. There were 8 PNG based players. I didn't hear who won, but I thought I heard the score was 32-16.
Interesting to see that the stealing incident that marred the under 17 Origin, led to a mention of Rugby League being played in Russia, on the front page of todays SMH. The link, Tas Bateiri's son was one of the kids sent home. They mentioned Tas was Rugby League's international development officer, who had coached France and is credited with starting RL is Russia. I guess all publicity is good publicity.

Interesting to see the stealing incident made the game newsworthy. I doubt the under 17s game would have got a mention otherwise.

I didn't think they'd beat the Qld u19s but even a 32-16 loss isn't bad really. Most of the Qld side would be signed up to NRL clubs and if any aren't thry probably should be. Hopefully more PNG players will be recognised by clubs after competing against some of the best young players from Australia.

The Partisan

The PNG Kundus (development team) face the Qld under 19s in a Origin curtain raiser tonight. It's on before the under 17s NSW v Qld game.

PAPUA NEW GUINEA KUNDUS
1. Jonno COOMBS
2. Dion AIYE
3. Max ROMANONG
4. Nigel NAAWI
5. Jason TALI
6. Keith PETERS
7. Wayne BOND
8. Noel WASO
9. Vernon KALYO
10. James NIGHTINGALE
11. Nathan DALY
12. Nos Gabriel JIM
13. Api WARIGESO
14. J LATUMAHINA
15. Willy SAMSON
16. Jeffrey PATI
17. Joe BOND
Coaches Chris ANARA and Bob BENNETT
Trainer Adrian LAM
Physio Matthew NATUSCH
Team Managers Sir Bob SINCLAIR and Bob CUTMORE
Team Doctor Dr. Peter HENDERSON

So nearly 14 years on ....

A) Did any of these PNG guys kick - on ?

B) Has PNG Junior development kicked on ?

mikail-eagle

Bench
So nearly 14 years on ....

A) Did any of these PNG guys kick - on ?

B) Has PNG Junior development kicked on ?

Off the Local PNG Boys only 2 players seem to have kicked on.

1. Dion Aiye - A halfback/five-eight progressed through the PNG Digicel Cup with the Rabaul Gurias.
Played for the Kumuls in the 2013 Rugby League World Cup. He had a running battle with
SBW during the Kiwis vs Kumuls pool match (seen highlights of it on Yutube) . In 2014 he
was one of the key Hunters players in their debut season. The following season he
followed Jessy Joe Parker to Whitehaven in England and is still there playing for them.

2. Jason Tali- A left sided centre who progressed through the Mt Hagen Eagles Club. Also played for
PNG at the 2013 Rugby League World Cup and was also part of the Hunters Team in
the inaugural 2014 season. Also left for England in 2015 to join the Newcastle Thunder.
He even spent half of the season with Rugby Union Club Newcastle Falcons.
He joined Doncaster in 2016 and is still there.

The Partisan

Off the Local PNG Boys only 2 players seem to have kicked on.

1. Dion Aiye - A halfback/five-eight progressed through the PNG Digicel Cup with the Rabaul Gurias.
Played for the Kumuls in the 2013 Rugby League World Cup. He had a running battle with
SBW during the Kiwis vs Kumuls pool match (seen highlights of it on Yutube) . In 2014 he
was one of the key Hunters players in their debut season. The following season he
followed Jessy Joe Parker to Whitehaven in England and is still there playing for them.

2. Jason Tali- A left sided centre who progressed through the Mt Hagen Eagles Club. Also played for
PNG at the 2013 Rugby League World Cup and was also part of the Hunters Team in
the inaugural 2014 season. Also left for England in 2015 to join the Newcastle Thunder.
He even spent half of the season with Rugby Union Club Newcastle Falcons.
He joined Doncaster in 2016 and is still there.

Thought Dion Aiye name sounded familiar. Can't say I recall Tali though.

Any thoughts on my development question M E ?

Be great to see Oceana have an U/19's or 20's regional comp similar to the one commenced in Europe. Especially if there was minimum quotas for residential / domestic players.