What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lachlan Coote Article

Panthers_God

Juniors
From: http://nrl.com/News/NewsletterNews/tabid/10737/Default.aspx

During the week he cuts the grass, paints the lines and maintains the ground - then on game day Lachlan Coote takes to CUA Stadium to pursue his NRL dream.
The Panthers’ pintsized Toyota Cup fullback currently leads the player of the year awards despite being one of the youngest athletes in the competition.
And after a starring role in NSW Under 18s 34-12 win over Queensland at Suncorp Stadium, including a personal tally of 14 points, Coote is on the verge of a first grade debut.
“My main goal would to be just to keep playing the way I am and maybe get a first grade game,” Coote said.
“In the future it would be nice to get that fullback spot.”
At just 175cm and 73kg, Coote is dwarfed by most of his opponents - not that it bothers him. His statistics speak for themselves - second most tries (15), second most linebreaks (14), second most points (138), 11th most tackle breaks (62) and 13th most linebreak assists (5) in the Toyota Cup.
“I am heaps happy with my form so far this year, I have been going all right,” Coote said.
“I don’t think you should let the age gap affect you, you just have to play your own game.
“I think having a good side and us all working together has really helped my game.
“It is a heaps good competition, it is really strong and it is good to follow the first grade around.”
With Rhys Wesser suffering an injury on Friday night against the Dragons, Coote might get his wish sooner than he thinks.
Panthers Toyota Cup coach Steve Georgallis has no doubt the young Windsor Wolves junior will excel in the top grade.
“He has got first grade written all over him,” Georgallis said.
“He is a standout, the players love playing with him and he is a really good talker out the back.
“He is quite knowledgeable on the game.
“He grew up out at Windsor and I think he has always played above his age which has obviously helped his game.”
The Panthers will be looking to reverse a 48-12 thrashing from the opening round of the season when they tackle the Broncos at CUA Stadium on Friday night.
You can catch all the action and live stats on NRL.com

Could his call up be this weekend???

mxlegend99

Referee
I think Jarrod Sammut will be the first choice for fullback for the time being. Lachlan Coote isn't really needed in first grade, and the Under 20's team could sure use him.

That said, i would be exceited if he was picked. I think he could do a great job against a depleted Broncos side.

murraymob

Coach
panther daz may have the answer to this question.Are the u18 playing state of origin this time if they are that would rule coote plus graham out of selection for this week

Caged Panther

First Grade
I don't see him making his debut this year to be honest. Sammut will and should be picked in place of wesser at this point.

murraymob

Coach
it could depend heavily on if lewis gets a call up to origin.Lewis gone would see sammut to half leaving a fullback to be found .Coote being the only one really available

choc_soldier

Coach
panther daz may have the answer to this question.Are the u18 playing state of origin this time if they are that would rule coote plus graham out of selection for this week

Very true - both will be automatic picks.

Graham probably would have got another run this week.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Put Coote in he deserves it.

He is the best plyer in NYC and he is only 17. Has ALL the skills. Will be regarded as one of the best players to ever play for the Panthers when he's done.

Having said that there is no need to rush him, especially with the injury toll you have at the moment, meaning a lack of senior players to help out.

He's ready & deserves it.

Having said that, I would not rush him.

mxlegend99

Referee
There's a chance Michael Gordon will be back this week, so we won't need to rush Lachlan Coote. Although with Sammut and Rooney in doubt, and Wesser definitely out... i'd see our backline having to be:

1. Michael Gordon
2. Brad Tighe
3. Michael Jennings
4. Maurice Blair
5. Junior Tia Kilifi

It's just a matter of how we go with the halves.

Pantha-Boy

Juniors
Mick Gordon will be a huge boost to the team.
At least sammut wont be put on the wing.
If jennings is back this week i would have.
1. Sammut
2. Rooney
3. Jennings (if not back then Nathan Smith and Warerhouse to lock)
4. Tighe
5. Gordon

choc_soldier

Coach
Sun Herald article

This Panther can cut it big time
Adrian Proszenko | July 6, 2008

coote_wideweb__470x313,0.jpg

Day job … Panthers rookie Lachlan Coote tends to his responsibilities as an apprentice greenkeeper.
Photo: Anthony Johnson

IF IT appeared Lachlan Coote knew every blade of grass in his memorable debut at CUA Stadium last weekend - that's because he does.

When he isn't tormenting opposition defences on his team's home ground, he is preparing the same ground in his day job as an apprentice greenkeeper.

While fame and fortune in the NRL beckon, the local junior has been mowing the grass and marking the lines for his Penrith teammates for less than $300 a week.

"He's a good worker. Within two weeks he knew the difference between monocot and dicot [seeds], which impressed us," joked head groundsman Nathan Meyer-Gleaves.
Coote has a habit of making good first impressions. Not only did he win the man-of-the-match award in his first NRL game against the Brisbane last week, at the age of 16 he beat the likes of Michael Jennings and Luke Rooney to smash the club's all-time record for a multi-stage fitness run.

"It's different to the beep test, it's more game-specific," said assistant strength and conditioning coach Matt Ryan. "To finish, it takes 21 minutes and Lachlan is up to level 89 of 100 levels. The next nearest to him is somewhere in the 70s."

Coote said his greenkeeper gig ensured any football success wouldn't go to his head. "It makes you actually want to play football and you don't take it for granted. There are a lot of people working their arses off and we're doing something that we love," he said.

Dubbed "Ron Coote" by his Panthers teammates, the NSW under-18s star admitted he didn't know if he was related to the former Souths and Easts legend. He's also unsure of his best position, having debuted at fullback and been picked on the wing for the clash with Parramatta today, where he is likely to mark Jarryd Hayne.

Rival clubs have been circling after his eye-catching debut, but the Windsor Wolves junior will remain a Panther for at least another two years.

"It's good to stay here, it's my local club and I don't really want to move away," he said. "I'm pretty happy where I am at the moment."

murraymob

Coach
watching sunday footy show.Sterlo just said they are doing a story on coote later on in the show

choc_soldier

Coach
And there was a story on him and Graham on last night's Super Saturday preview on Fox Sports.

He's the everywhere man this week!

Fibroman

First Grade
I tapped the girlie on the shoulder this morning and had a sneaky Lachlan Coote. HOW GOOD IS THAT!