What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lance Hohaia - good for other clubs as 7?

The Observer

Staff member
This season Warriors coach Ivan Cleary has decided Lance Hohaia should play hooker, not in the halves, and he has struggled to game time behind players like George Gatis, Nathan Fien & Grant Rovelli. The Warriors have justed signed Michael Witt from Manly, so he'll probably slip further down the pecking order.

A lot of people, including Warriors fans, think he'd make a creative, organising halfback - its the position he has played best in at the Warriors (he's ok at 9, inconsistent at 6). IMO he's wasted on the bench as an impact player at dummy half.

Would he do a good job playing halfback at another club? I dare say he'd play well at:
* Broncos inside Lockyer (though they signed McConnell)
* Wests Tigers inside Marshall (even with Morris, not sure the Morris-Marshall combo will work)
* Roosters (are Lewis and Soward experienced enough yet?)
* Storm (pushing Cronk back to 6)
* Raiders (will their halves be creative without J Smith)

Any thoughts?

Lucas

Juniors
The Observer said:
* Storm (pushing Cronk back to 6)
No way should we be pushing Cronk back to 6. He has been outstanding at halfback and certainly should continue there. I think Hohaia could be a handy 5/8 for us, hopefully he can be signed cheaply.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
gunnamatta bay said:
His agent must be a hack. The guy needs a change of clubs urgently.

I think he's managed by his father, he doesn't have one of the usual bloodsucker player agent types, if he did they'd be whoring him off to every club in the NRL already. Pretty ggood for the Warriors though, he's a good player to have on the bench, and very useful at #7 or #9 (don't rate him at #6 though). I disgree about him being an organiser however, he's nor of a running half, and he needs to be paired with an effective organiser at #6 to really shine.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
If thats the case the guy is doing himself a disservice. They may be 'bloodsuckers' but I think an agent is essential unless your name is Webkce (sp?).

budz

Juniors
I reckon he should have been given a chance at 7 at the Warriors. This guy could be really good but he is being wasted at the Warriors. Just for the sake of the Kiwi international team id like to see him at another club so the Kiwis have a good half back! I just hope he doesnt go to the ESL and stays at an Aussie club so he has more chance of getting selected for the Kiwi side and can play in a better competition.

Lego_Man

First Grade
He's a natural 7 but playing underneath Stacey and being shunted around different positions has stuffed him up. Look at the games where he has been given the 7 jersey and you will see he enjoys the halfback role a lot more, and is far more naturally suited to it. For his own development i think he needs to leave the warriors, however he will be missed by many.

Sanchez

Coach
Very disappointing that he gets so little game time but small errors have creeped into his game in recent years. needs to regain confidence an could lead any team very well

Iafeta

Referee
His contract ends end of next year. Resigned in 2004 for 2005, 2006 and 2007.

He's never filfulled any role. Shows glimpses, but never goes on to achieve what he looks likely to.

George Gatis isn't resigned yet I don't believe so it'd come as no surprise if Lance is permanently in the Warriors 17 next year and resigns accordingly.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
I wouldnt be surprised if Gatis goes at seasons end.

With next season Witt, Fien and Hohaia's contracts all run out, so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Hohaia's best position IS 9. He is a very good dummy half runner. Unfortunately he lacks the playmaking skills/vision to be a really good 9, which is exactly why he is an absof**kinglutely useless 6 or 7.

He's had some decent games at 7 but really, he just doesn't have the skills to play there. He is ponderous and generally clueless. All he has is good speed and deceptive strength. He'll never be a good first grader though.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
I would only consider at worst, playing Hohaia as a 'secondary' half/five-eigth outside a damn good partner.

He would make at good hooker if he could tackle.

Iafeta

Referee
His defence isn't the issue.

Option taking is the issue. There's crucial stages in games where he will run, but be caught with options open wider out, or he'll kick out of dummy half early in the count and kick it dead as happened against the Dogs. When the marker defence is fractured, both him and Nathan Fien have been dynamite out of dummy half.

He's best at 9, can be a decent back up at halfback, languished at 6. He doesn't have the game for it for whatever reason.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
There were rumours earlier in the season that we were looking at signing him. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the red v - I reckon he would improve immensely. I've always kind of liked him as a player (with the exception of the 6 jersey).

Latest posts