What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lateral/Forward Passes

hellteam

First Grade
Did anyone else find the Russell Wilson lateral really interesting today? Here is the replay for those who haven't seen it.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-...s-unreal-improvisation-on-last-second-lateral

To us, that are familiar with league, it was a standard draw and pass, and he clearly threw it back. As it happened, none of the commentators thought it was forward. But then as soon as they saw the replay they saw that he passed it on the 45 and was caught on the 47 (or similar).

Anyone that is familiar with very basic physics (and league/rugby) knows that if you are travelling forward fast enough, anything thrown backwards will end up further forwards than where you started

In rugby league the rule is that it needs to go back from the hands. All I could find in the NFL rules is that:

Rule 8. Article 1. Section 1a It is a forward pass if: (a) the ball initially moves forward (to a point nearer the opponent’s goal line) after leaving the passer’s hand(s)

Reading that rule, to me, seems it is the same as rugby league. If you pass it away from the opponents goal line, it's backwards?

I'm not sure though, I'm confused. Anyone have any concrete answers? Can't find any discussions about it/

zombie jesus

Staff member
To a Philly fan all that matters is where the ball is relative to the field markings.

To a Seahawks fan all that matters is where the ball is relative to Wilson.

Common sense says the Seahawks fans are right. The rule book says the Philly fans are right going by the below.

BACKWARD PASS. It is a Backward Pass if the yard line at which the ball is first touched by a player or the ground is parallel to or behind the yard line at which the ball leaves the passer’s hand.

So basically, the forward pass rule can be open to interpretation, the backwards pass rule makes it pretty clear cut.

Last edited:

nick87

Coach
As far as the rules are concerned, it’s clear
If a player catches the call in front of where it was released it’s a forward pass

So that wasn’t a lateral, it was an illegal pass that should have been flagged

Looked awesome though. Real holy shit moment haha

T-Boon

Coach
It's such a ridiculously under-utilised play, it drives me insane how easy it would be to score more often with a lateral after a WR makes a catch.

I think it stays as a very occasional trick play because otherwise defences would pick up if it was a regular part of a teams play book and I think they could cover it and force a lot of fumbles.

Paullyboy

Coach
I think it stays as a very occasional trick play because otherwise defences would pick up if it was a regular part of a teams play book and I think they could cover it and force a lot of fumbles.

If defences started to adapt to it, that would mean they had to stretch their defenders wider and across more people, thus creating more lanes. It'd be a win-win.

kurt faulk

Coach
If defences started to adapt to it, that would mean they had to stretch their defenders wider and across more people, thus creating more lanes. It'd be a win-win.

only problem is hcs are so scared of turnovers they won't allow their players to do it.

you're think they'd bring a rugby league coach in and teach every player how to pass the ball properly and catch as well. so many tds on offer if they just knew how to pass it to the support player.

nick87

Coach
It would be interesting
College do it about with all the triple option stuff, just have to expand that out to further down the field, I think much of it is cultural

It’s why it’s a genuine shame Chip Kelly failed. Had he gone on to win some titles he would have started a change in culture and increased the risk appetite for the league

Paullyboy

Coach
It would be interesting
College do it about with all the triple option stuff, just have to expand that out to further down the field, I think much of it is cultural

It’s why it’s a genuine shame Chip Kelly failed. Had he gone on to win some titles he would have started a change in culture and increased the risk appetite for the league
Agreed.

And unfortunately it's the same in all sports, with rugby league being no exception. The off-the-cuff flair that the Walker brothers brought to the Ipswich Jets QLD Cup run was amazing to watch - it was easily the most enjoyable brand of rugby league I saw that year. If they did that at NRL level with success, it'd carry over.

T-Boon

Coach
You would think a team like the Browns who dont seem capable of finding a reliable passer would give it a bit of a run. They are going to turn it over anyway.

Latest posts