What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest news re Toowoomba's return to top grade...

The Partisan

Things moving along ......

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/toowoomba-close-to-q-cup-return-but-not-clydesdale/3011116/

As a former resident of T..ba I have no dramas with the proposed identity change for the ISC / QLD Cup team. Any TRL rep team can still be called the Clydesdales ....just like the Ipswich local rep team is the Diggers.

Do still fear that the team will be a 'bussed in' bunch of guys who will be more familiar with the coffee shops of the Gold Coast rather than those of the Garden City.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
First off, great news for everyone. I hope they get into the QLD Cup asap.

In saying that, while I don't mind Mustangs, do they really need to use the pointless 'Western' instead of Toowoomba?
Just call them Toowoomba Mustangs or even the Darling Downs Mustangs. It's not rocket science to name a football team after the actual area they represent yet we have Northern Pride and now this...

Also, I wonder what the other white spots were pointed out in the whole of game review. Bundaberg/Wide-Bay I guess.

The Partisan

I'm guessing its more about gaining interest from a wider catchment area (so basically everything west of Ipswich from the Lockyer Valley to Quilpie !) for both players and a fan base. Potential to usurpe some patronage from the Broncos.

Re the name ...yeah I also normally prefer a specific geographical area, so ideally i'd prefer Toowoomba in the name. Plus the Garden City aint exactly 'way out west' ......despite what some Brisso types think !

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Yeah it's just a pet hate of mine. People in Sarina and Moranbah still support the Mackay Cutters despite not being called the Southern North Queensland Waves. :)

Anyway, I'm just stoked that they might be back in the QLD Cup by 2018. QLD Cup going from strength to strength.

Stewbum

Juniors
Yeah it's just a pet hate of mine. People in Sarina and Moranbah still support the Mackay Cutters despite not being called the Southern North Queensland Waves. :)

Anyway, I'm just stoked that they might be back in the QLD Cup by 2018. QLD Cup going from strength to strength.
Any update on this?

And why aren't we courting Fiji?

CC_Roosters

First Grade
First off, great news for everyone. I hope they get into the QLD Cup asap.

In saying that, while I don't mind Mustangs, do they really need to use the pointless 'Western' instead of Toowoomba?
Just call them Toowoomba Mustangs or even the Darling Downs Mustangs. It's not rocket science to name a football team after the actual area they represent yet we have Northern Pride and now this...

Also, I wonder what the other white spots were pointed out in the whole of game review. Bundaberg/Wide-Bay I guess.
Couldn't be as many white spots as NSW!

Could to see its progressing, would be great to see the region represented.

If have thought why doesn't the Fiji bid go to the QRL, then it can become a defect Queensland and pacific competition. Then the NSW premiership can be NSW and NZ.

johnny plath

Juniors
Is this a sign the Toowoomba/Mustangs return to Q cup next year. The Western Mustangs now have an affiliation agreement with the GC Titans. It would seem strange for an NRL club to set up a pathway with an entity that doesn't play at Qcup level.

The Aquis Gold Coast Titans are pleased to announce that an affiliate agreement has been reached with the Western Mustangs and their associate teams throughout the Toowoomba and south-west Queensland region.

The two-year commitment will see the Gold Coast Titans and Western Mustangs operate a Football Affiliation Partnership that will look to benefit both parties and the development of rugby league players and staff in both areas. All teams within the Toowoomba and south-west Queensland region will continue to compete in their own competition with the Mustangs acting as a feeder team to the Titans alongside the other affiliated clubs.

Titans players’ surplus to requirements will be offered to the Western Mustangs as part of the affiliate program and in-turn, the Western Mustangs, will have a definitive pathway opportunity to help their development.

Chief Operating Officer Tony Mestrov is excited about the opportunity to work with the Western Mustangs.

“The Toowoomba and south-west region of Queensland has large participation numbers and to have an affiliation with the Western Mustangs is a good opportunity for the Titans,” he said.

“It is great for the players in that region to know that they now have a development pathway and will be given a definitive path to a potential NRL career.”

On top of the playing arrangements, Titans coaching staff will conduct coach education sessions for both the junior and senior groups throughout the area. The club will also hold additional education nights for the parents of players, focusing on topics relevant to elite youth.

“These partnerships are based on much more than the on-field arrangements,” Mestrov added.

“The education sessions will give a lot of people access to the experienced coaching and welfare staff here at the Titans which will give them the opportunity to learn from people involved in rugby league at an elite level.”

Western Mustangs Chairman Paul Reedy is pleased that an agreement has been reached with the Titans.

“The most important thing is that the players within our region will be able to stay at home and play in their local area but they will now know that they have a direct path through to an NRL club, which is what any young player is striving to become,” Reedy said.

http://www.titans.com.au/news/2016/10/14/titans_reach_affilia.html

johnny plath

Juniors
actually just found this on the Western Mustangs facebook, which implies a team in Qcup 2018. Once again, news from QRL on their comps is tucked away like a treasure map to find and decipher.

Western Mustangs RLFC
9 October at 17:47 ·
The 2016 U20s Toowoomba Clydesdales squad had one last team photo on Friday night at our presentation night. Well done boys on a season full of great effort every week. We look forward to all those still eligible for U20s representing the Mustangs colours next year and for those who leave the 20s age group we encourage you to stick with us and train this off season in the lead up to Intrust Super Cup footy in 2018.
#westernmustangs #westisbest

https://www.facebook.com/Western-Mustangs-RLFC-416243381884486/

expansionist

Juniors
I for one really dont like these generic wide geographical names attached to clubs.

As identified above its obviously so they can claim to represent the whole west and not just Toowoomba... but the opposite is also true in these cases..

A team without a real home is just that - homeless, and Toowoomba is where theyd be based and where they would live.

I can see in a couple of years - no local support - and certainly no one driving in from Quilpie !

Latest posts