What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell is not a fullback

Pippen94

First Grade
Was I racist when I called Dave Taylor lazy?

In fairness I don't commit what you say to memory. Calling somebody with Taylor's body type that is stupid, but then labelling players lazy from comfort of ur sofa is stupid altogether. When directed at player of certain background it takes on sinister nature

Smug Panther

First Grade
In fairness I don't commit what you say to memory. Calling somebody with Taylor's body type that is stupid, but then labelling players lazy from comfort of ur sofa is stupid altogether. When directed at player of certain background it takes on sinister nature
No that's just your view of the world. Lots of f**ked up racism is out there but you're jumping at shadows here.

Vee

First Grade
I wondered at the time how much the Leota hit took out of him. Fair dinkum, plenty of blokes wouldn't have got up from that.

Reflector

Juniors
This is a good point, @Pippen94, if a fellow Indigenous person says that Latrell is lazy are they still racist?
They clearly have internalised racism. As does any non-white person who disagrees with the views of a virtuous white person who knows what's best for everyone else.

Vic Mackey

Referee
To answer the question, yes he is a fullback. Souths slipped to 10th whilst he was out and lost to garbage like Wests and Saints. As soon as he came back they belted Parra, beat the storm, cowboys, Easts and sharks on the way to a prelim final. Sure he has his deficiencies, however it took a Nathan clearly kicking master class a week before the grand final to find him out. Yes guys like Edwards and Gutherson are generally ‘safer’ however if souths have either of them at fullback I doubt they get as far as they did.

Bazal

Post Whore
To answer the question, yes he is a fullback. Souths slipped to 10th whilst he was out and lost to garbage like Wests and Saints. As soon as he came back they belted Parra, beat the storm, cowboys, Easts and sharks on the way to a prelim final. Sure he has his deficiencies, however it took a Nathan clearly kicking master class a week before the grand final to find him out. Yes guys like Edwards and Gutherson are generally ‘safer’ however if souths have either of them at fullback I doubt they get as far as they did.

There's no doubt in the world he has the skills to hugely influence a game from the back, especially in attack. But I think that often hides his lack of involvement and effort in the other areas that a quality fullback needs.

That said, I don't think you can play him anywhere else anymore. The calls for him to play 6 are well off the mark, IMO that would just exacerbate his involvement issues when he does clock.off and he'd be more easily targeted on defence. He's probably wasted at centre too

Vic Mackey

Referee
There's no doubt in the world he has the skills to hugely influence a game from the back, especially in attack. But I think that often hides his lack of involvement and effort in the other areas that a quality fullback needs.

That said, I don't think you can play him anywhere else anymore. The calls for him to play 6 are well off the mark, IMO that would just exacerbate his involvement issues when he does clock.off and he'd be more easily targeted on defence. He's probably wasted at centre too

But who says these areas are NEEDED to play fullback? Every player has a different skill set, Teddy is the only fullback you can say has everything. With him souths literally beat every team above them bar the minor premiers. No other team caught him out enough to cause a L

Smug Panther

First Grade
But who says these areas are NEEDED to play fullback? Every player has a different skill set, Teddy is the only fullback you can say has everything. With him souths literally beat every team above them bar the minor premiers. No other team caught him out enough to cause a L
Any team with a competent kicker will make him look like a fool

big hit!

Bench
He can make all highlight reel plays he likes, but if he's letting in as many tries as he's setting up or scoring, from lack of effort and or poor positioning, what's his net contribution worth?

Not to mention that if other merkins have to cover for his lack of effort, and involvement off the ball and in defence, then you've got the added workload and resultant fatigue which shows when it really matters, like last night.

Gimme an Edwards or Gutho type effort on effort player at FB any day of the week over Latrell, but I'd have the merkin at centre no problems. Just not on fullback money.

I don't think Latrell could ever give you the work rate of Edwards, Gutho, Paps or Teddy. He has half a foot in height on all of them. He's built like a front rower with the speed of a back.

Who know what happened last Saturday night. He was rocked by the tackle early in the match. If the opposition can move him around, then he'll always struggle.

Latest posts