What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell is not a fullback

Bazal

Post Whore
But who says these areas are NEEDED to play fullback? Every player has a different skill set, Teddy is the only fullback you can say has everything. With him souths literally beat every team above them bar the minor premiers. No other team caught him out enough to cause a L

Well it obviously depends but based on his non showing in the prelim I'd say the evidence that you need them to win big games at the pointy end is defs there.

Cowboyz

Juniors
In fairness I don't commit what you say to memory. Calling somebody with Taylor's body type that is stupid, but then labelling players lazy from comfort of ur sofa is stupid altogether. When directed at player of certain background it takes on sinister nature
F^ck me you are a delusional merkin. Laziness is laziness doesn’t matter if they’re white, dark or yellow. Has nothing to do with their ‘certain background’ no one ever bloody said that.

Munky

Coach
Well it obviously depends but based on his non showing in the prelim I'd say the evidence that you need them to win big games at the pointy end is defs there.

Hasn't won a game against Penrith in a Rabbitohs jersey.

Cleary and even SOS just move him around with ease.

Latrell is never positioned correctly at full back so you don't need to plan around him like he is Billy Slater.

I posted this above in the Penrith board and was pretty correct. Against Parra in week 1 of the finals it took a perfectly executed set play by Cleary and Edwards to get a short kick past Gutho who was half a metre from getting to the ball first.

With Latrell you don't even need to execute well since he won't be there to clean up.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee

if we’re going to base it off that then we can pretty much say any player who doesn’t win the comp sucks

Valheru

Coach
Man you’re really overplaying your hand here. Trell’s ability as a fullback - not footballer, just fullback is being questioned. Nothing more to it than that. Not the first player to be called lazy. Dave Taylor springs to mind
I don't see how anyone could find controversy in calling Latrell lazy as far as a footballer is concerned.

He was pretty lazy at centre as well although his brilliance more than made up for it.

Valheru

Coach
To answer the question, yes he is a fullback. Souths slipped to 10th whilst he was out and lost to garbage like Wests and Saints. As soon as he came back they belted Parra, beat the storm, cowboys, Easts and sharks on the way to a prelim final. Sure he has his deficiencies, however it took a Nathan clearly kicking master class a week before the grand final to find him out. Yes guys like Edwards and Gutherson are generally ‘safer’ however if souths have either of them at fullback I doubt they get as far as they did.
Tend to agree with you.

As far as fullbacks are concerned, the top tier are Teddy, Turbo and Paps with Ponga joining them when he wears maroon.

I think any team without those 3 would be better off with Latrell than whoever they have there now even if he doesn't have the same work rate and gets caught out of posiiton at times.

Valheru

Coach
With things like this you have to imagine what would happen if you directly swapped the (in this case) fullbacks. I think Penrith get stronger and souths get weaker.

Munky

Coach
I don't see how anyone could find controversy in calling Latrell lazy as far as a footballer is concerned.

He was pretty lazy at centre as well although his brilliance more than made up for it.

Didn't Freddy drop him for his off the ball play (or lack there of) after his first NSW game?

The modern fulback would have to be aiming for 200 running metres every game. They should get there just through kick returns and rucking it out let alone line breaks and attacking play.

soc123_au

Staff member
Tend to agree with you.

As far as fullbacks are concerned, the top tier are Teddy, Turbo and Paps with Ponga joining them when he wears maroon.

I think any team without those 3 would be better off with Latrell than whoever they have there now even if he doesn't have the same work rate and gets caught out of posiiton at times.
No chance. Latrell isn’t fit to tie Dylan’s shoes. No way I’d swap. I’m pretty sure Parra fans would feel the same about Gutho. Tries saved are as good as the ones scored. He has a better highlight reel, but that’s about it.

yobbo84

First Grade
According to Fox Sports, Latrell made 55m from 7 runs last week.

Clint Gutherson made 57m from 7 runs in week 1 of the finals.

Let's see what happens this week. Cleary is just a level above when it matters at the moment.

Munky

Coach
No chance. Latrell isn’t fit to tie Dylan’s shoes. No way I’d swap. I’m pretty sure Parra fans would feel the same about Gutho. Tries saved are as good as the ones scored. He has a better highlight reel, but that’s about it.

Nice work.

yobbo84

First Grade
Also, Latrell is fullback at every club that doesn't have Tedesco, Trbojevic, Edwards or Papenhuyzen.

Do people honestly think Souths would have been any better with Latrell at left centre with Blake Taaffe or Kodi Nikorima feeding him the ball?

As I said, maybe this topic could be entertained if we had held on to Sua'ali'i. But we didn't, and so he is head-and-shoulders the best fullback at our club, and good enough to singlehandedly defeat every team not named Penrith (like we did in the run into the PF).

Souths not being good enough to defeat Penrith isn't solely down to Latrell Mitchell. He is just a convenient punching bag because he is widely outspoken. Our 9 and 6 have been a constant over the past 5 prelims, and whilst get the accolades for getting us there should also get the criticism for not getting us that elusive 22nd premiership.

Pippen94

First Grade
Man you’re really overplaying your hand here. Trell’s ability as a fullback - not footballer, just fullback is being questioned. Nothing more to it than that. Not the first player to be called lazy. Dave Taylor springs to mind

More than that when labelled as lazy which implies attitude/character flaw.

soc123_au

Staff member
Also, Latrell is fullback at every club that doesn't have Tedesco, Trbojevic, Edwards or Papenhuyzen.

Do people honestly think Souths would have been any better with Latrell at left centre with Blake Taaffe or Kodi Nikorima feeding him the ball?

As I said, maybe this topic could be entertained if we had held on to Sua'ali'i. But we didn't, and so he is head-and-shoulders the best fullback at our club, and good enough to singlehandedly defeat every team not named Penrith (like we did in the run into the PF).

Souths not being good enough to defeat Penrith isn't solely down to Latrell Mitchell. He is just a convenient punching bag because he is widely outspoken. Our 9 and 6 have been a constant over the past 5 prelims, and whilst get the accolades for getting us there should also get the criticism for not getting us that elusive 22nd premiership.
He is a punching bag because he is easily exploited. The amazing part is that all teams haven’t done it.
I actually like that Latrell is an outspoken and confident bloke. I think it’s great for the game. I also enjoy watching him play. I just think he is a shit fullback.
As for South’s being better off, the only game they have beaten Penrith recently was with Taffe at fullback. He is 1 & 1 compared to Latrell at 0 & 6.

yobbo84

First Grade
He is a punching bag because he is easily exploited. The amazing part is that all teams haven’t done it.
I actually like that Latrell is an outspoken and confident bloke. I think it’s great for the game. I also enjoy watching him play. I just think he is a shit fullback.
As for South’s being better off, the only game they have beaten Penrith recently was with Taffe at fullback. He is 1 & 1 compared to Latrell at 0 & 6.
Wayne completely got into Ivan's head that week and I reckon it had an effect on the team. Being played a neutral venue didn't hurt either. Blake did go good though, but he was hugely ineffective in the GF and played a large part in the game being played mostly in our end (not his fault).

EDIT - also, it's not easily exploited. No-one but Penrith has been able to do it.

Latest posts