What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell (officially signs with Souths 13/1/20)

Zadar

Juniors
Hard to argue with but I think its more widespread than that and is symptomatic of the "struggling" clubs paying overs to attract talent int he hope of "turning it all around:"

Dragons - Hunt
Tigers - Reynolds, Mbye (inherited from bulldogs thanks to Cleary/Taylor)
Bulldogs - Foran
Titans - Ash Taylor,
Broncos - Milford, Bird (ok not a struggling club but paying overs)
Knights - Pearce
Parra - Moses

In this company and to go to any of those clubs, Latrell is $1M, but the end of the day you are paying $1M for a centre and I cant see that ending well. At those clubs on that money you need him to play fullback and I'm not sure he has the ticker or motor.

If latrell knocked back 800k and signs elsewhere for 900-950k, how much in the hand is it roughly worth extra? And how much does he think he is actually worth?

There is obviously other issues at hand, whether it is a positional change he is seeking or something else, the money after tax surely isn’t that much extra when you are already earning those sort of figures?

Maybe it is, Would be nice to be lucky enough to be in that dilemma.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Even if they are great, one player especially in a non spine position is not going to change the fortunes of a team. Look at taumololo.

If latrell knocked back 800k and signs elsewhere for 900-950k, how much in the hand is it roughly worth extra? And how much does he think he is actually worth?

There is obviously other issues at hand, whether it is a positional change he is seeking or something else, the money after tax surely isn’t that much extra when you are already earning those sort of figures?

I wondered about that myself. It’s not going to make that much difference to his family, is it? The press about him being insulted by the offer may have been on the mark. Maybe he likes the prestige of a million dollar deal or it’s a show of respect from the club or he’s simply getting bad advice. Maybe he would’ve taken 800 if he gets a halves role. I don’t see how both parties come back from this.

Canard

Immortal

You wouldn't consider 20% extra over a multi-year deal?

nick87

Coach

You reckon you'd stay in your job if a competitor offered you a 20% pay rise? Tax is tax, you pay it either way... it's 20%... for Mitchell that's an extra 80k+ per year POST tax.

Like what the f**k are you talking about?!

Diesel

Referee
He’s getting bad advice from a greedy manager. He’s young and like a lot of us at that age, would be looking for advice.

Springs09

Juniors
Even if they are great, one player especially in a non spine position is not going to change the fortunes of a team. Look at taumololo.

It's very rare one player in any position can completely change the3 fortunes of a team.

i.e. Thurston - best player in the game yet they still finished bottom with him in the side and made the GF when he was injured.

The only time I've seen a player able to drastically change a side on his own was Joey.

You reckon you'd stay in your job if a competitor offered you a 20% pay rise? Tax is tax, you pay it either way... it's 20%... for Mitchell that's an extra 80k+ per year POST tax.

I hate when people make this argument. Sometimes jobs/careers mean more to people than money, especially when you are lucky enough to make a living out of your passion like in footy. There's a lot of other factors to consider like comfort, lifestyle, convenience, family, friends, colleagues, hours, morals and so on. There's more to life than money.

I’ve turned down a better pay offer before because I liked where I was and don’t reckon I’m alone there either. I’m not going to begrudge anyone who wants a bigger pay deal however.

Canard

Immortal
I’ve turned down a better pay offer before because I liked where I was and don’t reckon I’m alone there either. I’m not going to begrudge anyone who wants a bigger pay deal however.

Of course, but the argument that 20% is nothing is ludicrous.

betcats

Referee

If money is his only concern Is he more likely to resurrect his career at the roosters or a club like the tigers? Origin is worth 100k a year. The roosters would bring him more endorsements and a bigger chance to play at a higher level and earn more money. If he jumps from the roosters to a battler for 100k then he is getting bad advice. The managers ten percent goes up though.

nick87

Coach
I hate when people make this argument. Sometimes jobs/careers mean more to people than money, especially when you are lucky enough to make a living out of your passion like in footy. There's a lot of other factors to consider like comfort, lifestyle, convenience, family, friends, colleagues, hours, morals and so on. There's more to life than money.

Of course there is more than money involved, and as @Babyface O'reilly said, many people do turn down more money to stay in jobs and organisations they like

But lets not pretend that in an industry where your career is more than likely over at age 34, that money is not a huge factor in these decisions. And 20% extra over the course of a short career is nothing to be sneezed at.

That post was in direct response to someone suggesting 20% extra is really not a lot and he shouldnt be moving for that... Latrell might not take those offers and he may take less to stay at the roosters (Attn: NRL and their market value rule which they've arbitrarily applied recently for Jordan Rapana) but lets be f**king serious and honest about this. 5 years @ $800k is 4mil... 5 years @ 950k is 4.75mil. A full 750k more over the life of a 5 year contract...

for a guy who's probably only got 10 years left of significant income, that's substantial and cant be dismissed as if that difference is somehow inconsequential

nick87

Coach
If money is his only concern Is he more likely to resurrect his career at the roosters or a club like the tigers? Origin is worth 100k a year. The roosters would bring him more endorsements and a bigger chance to play at a higher level and earn more money. If he jumps from the roosters to a battler for 100k then he is getting bad advice. The managers ten percent goes up though.

If he plays well, he's going to be playing origin at any club he signs for.
The roosters endorsements shouldnt be a factor, if they're genuine TPA's he'll get them where he moves... if they're not on the table unless he plays for the roosters, id submit those endorsements arent genuine TPA's and should thus be included in the cap ;)

betcats

Referee
If he plays well, he's going to be playing origin at any club he signs for.
The roosters endorsements shouldnt be a factor, if they're genuine TPA's he'll get them where he moves... if they're not on the table unless he plays for the roosters, id submit those endorsements arent genuine TPA's and should thus be included in the cap ;)

The roosters will give him the best chance to play well and a bigger profile. Just because they are included in the cap doesn’t mean each club has equal access to TPAs, far from it.