What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latu signs with Sharks

The Colonel

Immortal
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16013170-23214,00.html

Latu signs for the Sharks
July 22, 2005

NEW Zealand international hooker Tevita Latu has signed a two-year deal with NRL club Cronulla.

Latu, 24, will replace utility Michael Sullivan, who is set to be released by the Sharks to take up a lucrative offer with English club Warrington in 2006.

Latu has played 22 matches for the New Zealand Warriors since making his first grade debut against Cronulla in June 2003 and one Test for the Kiwis last year.

He sent a health scare through the Warriors camp in November last year when he was diagnosed with pulmonary tuberculosis but he made a full recovery.

This year Latu has been restricted to just eight NRL matches, with Warriors coach Tony Kemp preferring to use Nathan Fien, Monty Betham and Lance Hohaia at hooker.

"His opportunities have been stifled somewhat at the Warriors," Sharks general manager Steve Rogers said today.

"We're extremely pleased that Tevita has chosen to join us for the next two seasons.

"He can be a very dynamic player out of dummy-half and he's a tough defender."

Sullivan's release from the Sharks will be formalised at the end of the year when he pays back money owed to the club which helped cover his gambling debts.

Skinner

Coach
Yet another who will come back and bite the Warriors on the backside ( and
I hope REALLY hard ). This kid really understands the hookers role. He just needs
to learn to balance the aggression and the discipline required.

Good luck Tevita.....knock em dead son.

Skinner

Esoj

Juniors
only had limited time here at the warriors but showed good speed and will be good next year for the sharks

Iafeta

Referee
Playing Bartercard.

False move from the Warriors in my opinion. Have high wraps on his talent, this year though he has seriously let himself down.

Very fine pick up for the Sharks at I'd suggest a not too high a price. They've basically picked up the two most tauted players of the Bartercard c 2003 in Mellars and Latu.

Esoj

Juniors
hes playing batercard after being injured and having tb last year. Latu defintely has the talent to be a good player and is a very good pick up by the sharks

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Good pick up by the Sharkies but in the Warriors defence he was well back in the queue for us and probably wasn't going to get much opportunity next year. At the end of the day we can't expect to keep NRL grade talent playing in Bartercard.

Iafeta

Referee
But was he really?

I mean if Hohaia gets injured now (pray to god he doesn't) then who'd you rather have hook the scrum? Monty, or Tevita Latu. I know who I'd rather have.

Skram

Juniors
Latu will shine for the Sharks, he wouldn't have around waiting with as much talent as he has anyways.
As for hooking depth next year, if Hohaia's out then I think opposed to Monty stepping in Louis Anderson would be favoured. I'd rather shuffle Fien to #9 and slide either Ropati or Faumuina into the Halves for the time being than put Monty in there.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Iafeta said:
But was he really?

I mean if Hohaia gets injured now (pray to god he doesn't) then who'd you rather have hook the scrum? Monty, or Tevita Latu. I know who I'd rather have.

Absolutely. Monty at hooker is a speed bump impeding the whole team.
I'm pretty sad to see Latu go, but I hope the move sees him develop to his full potential, something which I think he has a lot of. The only thing in his way is himself.

Alan Shore

First Grade
What does Betham actually add to the team? He's an undisciplined rabble, no wonder he's a FORMER captain.

playdaball

Bench
Good luck to him at Cronulla. I'm sure he'll do well in Sydney, like Skinner this could come back to bite the warriors but they do have depth at hooker.
On another note ...hopefully he turns out for Tonga at the end of the year.

Iafeta

Referee
playdaball said:
Good luck to him at Cronulla. I'm sure he'll do well in Sydney, like Skinner this could come back to bite the warriors but they do have depth at hooker.
On another note ...hopefully he turns out for Tonga at the end of the year.

Depth at hooker?

Who?

Fien? Halfback next year.

Monty? God no.

Louis Anderson? Why move him from the backrow where he keeps excelling?

Some unknown from the Roosters Reggies team?

playdaball

Bench
Iafeta said:
Depth at hooker?

Who?

Fien? Halfback next year.

Monty? God no.

Louis Anderson? Why move him from the backrow where he keeps excelling?

Some unknown from the Roosters Reggies team?

Hohiaia
plus al;l of the above if need be.

I'd love to see Chad Randell at the Warriors!

Iafeta

Referee
It'd be nice, but in all probability we won't have someone like Randell.

Which still leaves us with makeshift or poor or unproven options:-

Makeshift: Anderson, far superior in the backrow, moving him out of there weakens that position, Fien, moving him away from the halves severely hinders our organisation
Poor: Betham
Unproven: Rovelli

I'd feel far more confident in Tevita Latu than all of those options as back ups to Lance Hohaia.

Iafeta

Referee
PS: Isn't young Dene Shepherd a hooker?

I know there's a couple of people around who have massive wraps on him - and he is in the development squad from memory.

Perhaps they cleared the ranks to give him a chance at stepping up?

MKEB...

Staff member
The gods of rugby league have done us a favourin offloading Latu. I like his play but ... his habit for tackling high and taking off from dummy half and losing the ball, not acceptale.. I reakon Stuart Raper will do the world of Good for him... Something Kemp cant help him with...