What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laurie Daley and Warren Smith

dubby

Bench
Is it just my imagination, but do these guys have a bit of bias towards Canberra? Lauries green eyes were obvious last night, every time we went to the video ref Laurie was talking up our chances for a try.

Its in his voice, the guy still loves Canberra. I can just tell. His excitement over Zillman, Dobson, Carney and others was one of obvious delight.

Even though he is involved with the Dragons :)( ) it may be possible in the future to see him involved on some level, if the past players get involved as has been touted.

As for Warren Smith, I beleive this guy has a soft spot for the Green Machine. You watch every game he calls for Canberra; he talks us up. Players/coaches he loves Canberra. Even last year he was talking up TLL and Weyman, Carney.

It makes for a refreshing change to have some commentators who actually know a thing or two about the club and its roster and talk us up. Unlike Gould, Ray Warren (Mathew Chalk :roll: ) etc

Thoughts?

Macko8

Juniors
Yes i think you've hit the nail right on there dubby when you say smith n lozza were and are a tad bias towards tha green machine.

They obviously have a soft spot for the raiders and want to see them achieve things in 2007 as we all do.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Lozza after the match did say we were in for an up and down year but will definitly win more games the we lose.

Leethal

Juniors
I'm not too sure about Warren Smith, but certainly for Loz, it would be difficult to remain perfectly impartial. He spent his entire career here. It would, unfortunately, be tough for him to get involved at anything other than a superficial level due to his media commitments IMO.

While I would prefer commentators to hide their bias as best as possible, we've had to put up with Gould and Vautin for years and Wayne Pearce's orange and black eye nearly fell out when he was screaming about Todd Carney's charge-down against the Tigers at Campbelltown last year.

It's a relief to know that we have some allies in the media.

laurie

Juniors
laurie tiped the knights to win at the start of the match so he cant be that biased.... but im sure he still loves the raiders...... wish his contract with fox was up so he could slot into the assistant coaches position with us.. i dont think he has much involvment with the dragons anymore if at all.

legend

Coach
I think Laurie tips against us as a supersticious thing but deep down he is still a Raider.

Vautin isn't too bad these days and doesn't commentate any more but Chief is the biggest tosser of the lot. I'll be watching the footy show on Thursday just to see him swallow some humble pie and hopefully a gallon of horse piss!

Chachi

Bench
legend said:
I think Laurie tips against us as a supersticious thing but deep down he is still a Raider.

Vautin isn't too bad these days and doesn't commentate any more but Chief is the biggest tosser of the lot. I'll be watching the footy show on Thursday just to see him swallow some humble pie and hopefully a gallon of horse piss!
:lol: Tell us how you really feel Legend!

Will be good to see though :D

dubby

Bench
legend said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats it mate; let it out!

Christmas Ape

Juniors
I don't think Warren's got a soft spot for the Raiders, rather he's quite an astute analyst of the game.
He could tell that Canberra weren't in as much trouble as the media would have everyone believe and made a couple of comments along those lines last night.
I think his excitement was more due to the fact that he was proven right.

Laurie's always going to have a soft spot for the Raiders. I reckon he tries really hard to not come across as biased which is why he often tips against them.
Having said that, he'll always talk them up if they're playing well.

Mal Meninga

Bench
Warren Smith is a Tigers fan - Definately no soft spot for us.
I think he's just watched enough of us over the years to realise we just won't allow ourselves to win the spoon. Because we're always on FOX and never on CH9 it's easy to realise why certain commentators have the opinions of us.

Once the Raiders appeared on CH9 a few times toward the end of last season, Gould started writing a weekly article about us.

nickraider

Juniors
legend said:

That's GOLD!!! :lol:

Montz

Juniors
Laurie didn't tip us, but he knew how we could win in the reasoning. I've always thought Warren has had a soft spot for us, he always knows about the players and the club. It's probally because he calls our games so often and actually DOES interviews with our players/coach.

Raider_69

Post Whore
legend said:

i agree, especially re: daley's tipping, i myself do the same thing
have not tipped us since the start of 2004

Chachi

Bench
Tony Greig's Car Keys said:
doesn't warren smith help out with coaching of the raiders or something?
Either you're taking the piss or you're confusing him with Warren Ryan.
Hard to say given your name, Tony Greig's Car Keys.

thickos

First Grade
Yeah Warren Smith definitely has no coaching role with us. Warren Ryan is a consultant to Neil Henry, but I don't think he has any regular duties like visits to Canberra etc.

mongoose

Coach
i think andrew voss has a soft spot for us too. He did tip us to come 8th this season, while everyone else had us 15th/16th.

nickraider

Juniors
mongoose said:
i think andrew voss has a soft spot for us too. He did tip us to come 8th this season, while everyone else had us 15th/16th.

Vossy could be a good omen for us. He tipped us to make the 8 last year as well, when nobody gave us a chance.