What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LCD televisions

Copa

Bench
Why is it that some widescreen LCD tvs look a bit "funny" when showing fast moving high action scenes? Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

MIA

Juniors
LCD tv's have response times of about 4 milliseconds to 20 milliseconds. The response time is a measurement of how quickly the LCD screen turns a pixel on or off. Fast response times such as 4 ms prevent the ghosting as the image moves.

Copa

Bench
MIA said:
LCD tv's have response times of about 4 milliseconds to 20 milliseconds. The response time is a measurement of how quickly the LCD screen turns a pixel on or off. Fast response times such as 4 ms prevent the ghosting as the image moves.
Thanks.

So 4 ms tvs are the ones to go for if the TV is to be used for watching sport??

Do they mention the response times in the handbooks.. so crap TVs can be vetted before handing over the cash?

Caged Panther

First Grade
Copa said:
Thanks.

So 4 ms tvs are the ones to go for if the TV is to be used for watching sport??

Do they mention the response times in the handbooks.. so crap TVs can be vetted before handing over the cash?

yes, although personally I've never seen any rated at less than 8m/s.

Make sure you get a high contrast ratio to 800:1 seems to be the norm at the moment, though you will see samsungs advertised at 3000:1, this is apparently the dynamic contrast ration whereas 800:1 is the static and more commonly used contrast ratio. Don't ask me the difference between the two.

MIA

Juniors
The 4 ms ones are a bit more expensive so if you find a 8 ms LCD at a competitive price, get the sales person to play a high action scene from a movie.

If there are projectiles flying all over the place and you can't see any ghosting, the TV should not have a problem with sports programs.

As Caged Panther mentioned, also look at the contrast ratio.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Caged Panther said:
yes, although personally I've never seen any rated at less than 8m/s.

Make sure you get a high contrast ratio to 800:1 seems to be the norm at the moment, though you will see samsungs advertised at 3000:1, this is apparently the dynamic contrast ration whereas 800:1 is the static and more commonly used contrast ratio. Don't ask me the difference between the two.

static=still
dynamic=real time (moving)