What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League bosses tighten eligibility rules

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Doesn't go far enough, but at least it's a start. I would also scrap the residency rule once you turn 18 - that's a joke. If I'm an adult and spent my whole life in Australia and then went and lived in France for 10 years well I'm still not French, I'm Aussie. The only exception is if a player moved there when young (17 years and under) and grew up in a country. Claiming residency on the basis of moving to a country inititially to simply fullfil a big-money professional sports contract is a joke for e.g. Clint Greenshields, Nathan Fein.

Also, with the Grandparent rule, instead of being eligible to play for a national team due to heritage/bloodlines due to one grandparent, why don't they tighten the rule and make it that you must have TWO grandparents (from a maximum of 4 - 2 from mothers side and 2 from father's side) to be eligible to play for a national team?

http://news.leaguehq.com.au/breakin...-tighten-eligibility-rules-20091104-hwm7.html

League bosses tighten eligibility rules

November 4, 2009 - 12:14PM

Rugby league bosses have tightened international qualification regulations in the face of mounting criticism over players switching countries too often.
As New Zealand prepare to take on England on Saturday for a spot in the Four Nations final, developments in Paris at a meeting of the Rugby League International Federation executive could mean the Kiwis will not be able to call up many players from the Pacific nations in future.
"We have tightened it up a little - once you play in a World Cup qualifier for one country, you cannot switch to another for the World Cup," said RLIF executive chairman Colin Love.
"There won't be the provision to apply to change. It just won't be permitted."
Had the rule applied for the 2008 World Cup, New Zealand would not have been able to take Fuifui Moimoi and Taniela Tuiaki on tour to Europe in 2007, while Tonga's Feleti Mateo would have been disqualified from Australian selection for three years.
Moimoi and Tuiaki applied to change their eligibility a second time and, when denied, took legal action and were cleared by the courts to return to the Tongan side - but only if they made the semifinals, which they did not.
Love said the rule did not affect players who represented a country in Test series or tournaments with no World Cup bearing, nor would it stop the likes of Jarryd Hayne and Neville Costigan playing State of Origin and going on to represent another nation.
"But all players who play Origin must, in the first instance, be available for Australia," he said.
Players who want to change to another country after representing one in a non-World Cup game must still apply to the RLIF.
Jarryd Hayne and Michael Jennings playing for Fiji and Tonga respectively just 12 months ago and then appearing in the Four Nations for Australia has confused some commentators. The RLIF considers the period between World Cups as a "cycle" with all players allowed to change their election at the end of that cycle.
Australia, New Zealand, England, France and Papua New Guinea do not need to play qualifiers - meaning the younger nations can still call up players from those nations who miss section for a World Cup.
The makeup and format of the next World Cup will be discussed in Paris next week.
In other news, out-of-favour Kiwis centre Krisnan Inu has admitted he is getting "itchy feet" for some game time after missing selection so far in the tournament.
Despite an eye injury to Steve Matai, coach Stephen Kearney said Parramatta's Inu is far from being an automatic replacement for the final pool match at Galpharm Stadium.
The Kiwis will again name a team at the last moment allowed under tournament rules - exactly 48 hours before kick-off which is Thursday evening local time.
"At first I was having trouble with my hamstring and I wasn't 100 per cent," Inu said. "It was still a problem after the grand final.
"But as the tour has gone on, I'm getting a bit of itchy feet and I'd love to get out there. People get niggles and injuries and you've just got to prepare as if you are going to play and an opportunity might come up."
Asked if Kearney had told him what he would need to do to get into the side, Inu said: "No, I've heard nothing at all, actually."
Prevented from training on the Galpharm by stadium officials, the Kiwis visited for a walk around yesterday. Kearney remains hopeful of considering Bronson Harrison and Jeff Lima (both calf injuries) for selection while Manly's Matai is officially out.
© 2009 NZPA

Danish

Referee
Oh joy...

Lets allow the ARL twigs to pass a bunch of laws specifically aimed at hurting their biggest competitor.

The world cup loss is still stinging, clearly.

Hallatia

Referee
Doesn't go far enough, but at least it's a start. I would also scrap the residency rule once you turn 18 - that's a joke. If I'm an adult and spent my whole life in Australia and then went and lived in France for 10 years well I'm still not French, I'm Aussie. The only exception is if a player moved there when young (17 years and under) and grew up in a country. Claiming residency on the basis of moving to a country inititially to simply fullfil a big-money professional sports contract is a joke for e.g. Clint Greenshields, Nathan Fein.
you'd still allow Karmichael Hunt to slip through there

nadera78

Juniors
It's barley changed at all! What a load of sh*t, these people are doing their best to really f*ck our game up.

Hallatia

Referee
It's barley changed at all! What a load of sh*t, these people are doing their best to really f*ck our game up.
don't you just love it when they pretend they are doing something so people will stop saying they aren't doing anything, but they really aren't doing anything - like Kevin Rudd ...

hutch

First Grade
its not strong enough. world cup qualifiers or not, once you play for a country, you should be locked in for at least 4 years (preferably life), and if you switch you should have to stand down for a number of years and not play any internationals. how long are these pr*cks going to rule the international game, its a dictatorship!

Hallatia

Referee
karmichael hunt played for his country, he didnt slip through anything.
what is his country?
he had been in Australia for 3 years and he got to wear the green and gold, he may have been under 18 when he moved here, but he was also under 18 when he chose Australia over New Zealand or Queensland over New Zealand. There should not be so much room for choice in it - would Hunt even have Australian citizenship? (I could be wrong, but I strongly doubt it)

Bluebags1908

Juniors
what is his country?
he had been in Australia for 3 years and he got to wear the green and gold, he may have been under 18 when he moved here, but he was also under 18 when he chose Australia over New Zealand or Queensland over New Zealand. There should not be so much room for choice in it - would Hunt even have Australian citizenship? (I could be wrong, but I strongly doubt it)

cutie is a Kiwi. But we all know how much of a great loyal fellow he is. As if turning his back on the Kiwis wasn't enough, we've all seen him now turn his back on Rugby League.

welshmagpie

Juniors
Lets not complain its a start, and at least it proves theyre listening somewhat. However we all know a lot more can be done

thommo4pm

Coach
Lets not complain its a start, and at least it proves theyre listening somewhat. However we all know a lot more can be done

Agree.
But I still strongly believe that once you have played for 1 country, that should be the country of choice for ever for you.
Just my opinion, I know others have other points of view.

deluded pom?

Coach

Can someone break it down for me so I can see exactly what HAS changed because from where I'm sitting it's harldy changed at all.

nadera78

Juniors
Can someone break it down for me so I can see exactly what HAS changed because from where I'm sitting it's harldy changed at all.

If someone plays for Tonga in the RLWC qualifiers in 2011, he wouldn't be able to play for any other country in the actual RLWC in 2013. He could, however, play for Australia in 2012.

It's a pile of sh*t!

Goddo

Bench
Players need to be locked in for 4 years to a nation once they make up their minds. Seems all they have done is lock players in for world cup matches. Not long enough at all but at least its a start.

I am hopeful for some good news about the World Cup structure for 2013 when they meet again next week.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
The title is misleading.

However, at least we wont have someone like Robbie Farah come out and say "yeah id love to help ???? qualify, then knock them out during the cup while playing for ????"

Danish

Referee
If people want to change the eligibility rules, then they must aim the rules at hurting australia's ability to claim players as residents simply because any good player in the southern hemisphere is going to gravitate to the NRL.

Players in situations like Hunt should not be given the option of playing for Australia. Similarly, players like Hayne who represented Fiji should be lost to Australian selectors.

The Kangaroos exploit the current rules worse than any nation, and will only implement changes to suit their own team (which is why they won't touch the residency laws).

RedVee

First Grade
That meeting was a waste of time. It seems they only made a slight rule change in order to justify the prawn cocktails.

bender

Juniors
That meeting was a waste of time. It seems they only made a slight rule change in order to justify the prawn cocktails.

I think it might have made things worse.

We need one nation for life, except exceptional circumstances (which only operates from the big 3 to other nations not the other way around). It should be that simple.

If we are going to have rules that simply are flauted with and has people change anyway, then we may as well forget the restrictions and let sides play willy nilly for who ever they want and get the strongest sides out there. It is either one or the other or the other, or at least it should be.

hutch

First Grade
I think it might have made things worse.

We need one nation for life, except exceptional circumstances (which only operates from the big 3 to other nations not the other way around). It should be that simple.

If we are going to have rules that simply are flauted with and has people change anyway, then we may as well forget the restrictions and let sides play willy nilly for who ever they want and get the strongest sides out there. It is either one or the other or the other, or at least it should be.

i agree!