What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League inflicted with pain for aparent gain

First. In regards to the A League contract....

the point that a lot of people in this thread have missed is that the a-league didn't exist 4 years ago ... it's a start up comp with new teams that came with no fan base . And then they try to compare it to comps that have run for 100+ years .

* the crowds have increased 50% since season 1
* the pay tv ratings increased 23% last season
* there's a heap of private backers trying to buy a-league franchises across the country at a time when RL is struggling to find 1 .

why are they doing that ? because RL has sat on it's hands for the past 100 years and is barely played outside NSW & Qld .... whilst Football's links into Asia has opened doors that RL can only dream of .

The regular socceroos qualifiers either for World or Asian Cups mean that the FFA is no longer broke . Those coffers will overflow when the Asian Cup is held here in 2015.

RL won't die . It will always have it's place although people should stop deluding themselves about it being "the greatest game of all" .

In time the corporate dollar and the best athletes will go to a sport that offers more away trips than Auckland and more earning potential on a world stage .

Bravo!

Finally some truth! Same with you ANT.

I can answer your questions about why league is bagged right now and compared badly with smaller sports such as soccer :

Its about pain. BIG PAIN. What are the greatest human motivators? Pleasure and Pain.

They want to inflict a huge dose of pain onto the rl populace. This will get people moving. (and you know in spite of all the negativity, few fans have left never to be tempted back)

Why not use pleasure? It doesnt sell newspapers. Plus, its not as strong a motivator.

So here we have the A League contract in another kick in your guts league story.

Anyone feeling REALLY motivated right now to put the wind up your nearest RL administrator?

Sure not much in the article is based off facts, but who cares!

This kind of thing is going to drive RL upwards. So when it comes time to change, we dont change a little and be a little bit better, we change a lot, and be a lot better.

And as rl history shows, the game doesnt know head nor tail off the feild a lot of the time - especially now. So a big kick in the *ss will get yers moving!

Kind of clever from news. League in the next 30 years is going to explode. Not much momentum just now, but watch it take off after all the sorting out has gone on.

Pain. Pain in the minds of league fans (payback too?) and the great motivation to come from it. Motivation to change.

It kind of sux as well, but this is really their mentality. And it seems to be working.....we are seeing more proactive change for the better right now than at any other time in the games history.

The A league story highlights what I am saying.

Loudstrat

Coach
Reuters Wed 12.11 pm
The Federal Government is currently investigating claims that their $3 billion election promise to provide one computer per child in each school has gone awry, with some computers placed inside mental institutions instead.....

AAP

_Johnsy

Referee
Same shyte, different title.

DOR is

Echo_Logo.jpg

hmmm. i dont think this is same sh!t different.....

how does it feel to be dominated and controlled by a media outlet?

as bad as being dominated and controlled by your parents, teachers, friends?

worse

this deserves air time.

except what I am saying is all this from news etc, about doom and gloom and bad days at the office in nrl-land, is about motivating people for change

thats all...its a little different to what you are refering to. and look - we are seeing a huge momentum of support for change (just leave sydney teams alone for now)

and ITS BECAUSE OF ALL THE BAD PRESS LEAGUE IS GETTING.....so in effect news are achieving their goal, for the game to change.

so bad press is good press, if you are rl. AND SELLING papers. wow

Last edited:

russ13

First Grade
* the crowds have increased 50% since season 1

No they haven't & as has been mentioned before the aggregate crowd number is no better than that achieved by the old NSL. The A League has fewer teams (only 8 teams) so the average is higher.

The new NZ franchise is the only reason the A league crowds increased last year.

* the pay tv ratings increased 23% last season

The Pay TV GF audience was a pathetic 195,000. Won't even make the list of the Top 200 sports' programs for the year. In fact the average A League gets less than the worst NRL game on Pay - usually the non-live Saturday nigh fixture.
http://www.astra.org.au/news.asp

* there's a heap of private backers trying to buy a-league franchises across the country at a time when RL is struggling to find 1 .

List them

newyboy

Juniors
Rugby Leagues fan base in Australia is dwindling, most people are migrants and they follow soccer.

Of say 30 people at my gym for instance who are 1st or 2nd gen and parents are from a non english speaking country, 99% of them follow soccer.

Loudstrat

Coach
hmmm. i dont think this is same sh!t different.....

how does it feel to be dominated and controlled by a media outlet?

as bad as being dominated and controlled by your parents, teachers, friends?

worse

this deserves air time.

except what I am saying is all this from news etc, about doom and gloom and bad days at the office in nrl-land, is about motivating people for change

thats all...its a little different to what you are refering to. and look - we are seeing a huge momentum of support for change (just leave sydney teams alone for now)

and ITS BECAUSE OF ALL THE BAD PRESS LEAGUE IS GETTING.....so in effect news are achieving their goal, for the game to change.

so bad press is good press, if you are
rl. AND SELLING papers. wow

Actually, those points are true, so basically, great post. I emphasised some bits of the last sentence to reflect the truth.

Because News sells papers, doom and gloom is good. So, a decade of Union about to poach the best of he code - scanadal because a 'league star' got pissed in public - and photographers and young women springing traps to capture a League player in pub violence, or create a rape scandal respectively.

Piss off News from the control of the code. 90% of problems solved then and there.

Rugby Leagues fan base in Australia is dwindling, most people are migrants and they follow soccer.

Of say 30 people at my gym for instance who are 1st or 2nd gen and parents are from a non english speaking country, 99% of them follow soccer.

Where is your gym?

League's fan base is actually growing, because the population in League heartlend is where Australia's population growth is.

is this just mark123 under a different username?

Must be!

Cheezel

Juniors

Bravo!

I can answer your questions about why league is bagged right now and compared badly with smaller sports such as soccer :

Its about pain. BIG PAIN. What are the greatest human motivators? Pleasure and Pain.

They want to inflict a huge dose of pain onto the rl populace. This will get people moving. (and you know in spite of all the negativity, few fans have left never to be tempted back)

Why not use pleasure? It doesnt sell newspapers. Plus, its not as strong a motivator.

So here we have the A League contract in another kick in your guts league story.

Anyone feeling REALLY motivated right now to put the wind up your nearest RL administrator?

This kind of thing is going to drive RL upwards. So when it comes time to change, we dont change a little and be a little bit better, we change a lot, and be a lot better.

And as rl history shows, the game doesnt know head nor tail off the feild a lot of the time - especially now. So a big kick in the *ss will get yers moving!

Kind of clever from news. League in the next 30 years is going to explode. Not much momentum just now, but watch it take off after all the sorting out has gone on.

Pain. Pain in the minds of league fans (payback too?) and the great motivation to come from it. Motivation to change.

It kind of sux as well, but this is really their mentality. And it seems to be working.....we are seeing more proactive change for the better right now than at any other time in the games history.

:lol: League thrives on drama!!!! Always has always will!

The AFL, Diveball and Yawnion like to mention league in their press releases so it will get published. Because in NSW and QLD if it ant got anything to do with league it will hardy get a mention.

It all comes back to sellin papers ;-)

thug jimmy

Juniors

Bravo!

dont get disheartened with some of the morons on here.
we will get our own soon enough :D

russ13

First Grade

Migrants makeup 1 or 2 % of the population.

Anyway they come from countries that soccer means nothing i.e. NZ India etc.

Canard

Immortal
vlad said:
why are they doing that ? because RL has sat on it's hands for the past 100 years and is barely played outside NSW & Qld .... whilst Football's links into Asia has opened doors that RL can only dream of .

The insinuation with this comment is that the A-League or Australian Soccer is somehow responsible for soccer's popularity in Asia.

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world, thats a given, this however is nothing to do with the A-League and Australian Soccer.

bobmar28

Bench

It's a similar picture around here although I would say more than 50% of sports minded people follow league. Of the rest most would follow soccer and a tiny minority support AFL.

Last edited: